Seattle - walk from Pier 91 to Pike Place Market

Tigergenesis

Hubby and I love to walk and sightsee.  I understand the walk is mapped at about an hour per online maps, and appears to go right along the waterfront.  I previously came across a video someone made of the walk and it looked like something we would enjoy and could do (we won't have luggage).  Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Is it doable?  Any issues with walking out of the pier?  Is it safe, worth it, etc?  

Edited by Tigergenesis

• Tigergenesis changed the title to Seattle - walk from Pier 91 to Pike Place Market

@Tigergenesis I think my answer would depend upon your luggage. There is a very nice park along the waterfront, but getting to it can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. Consider walking across the parking lot and up a set of stairs on the Magnolia Bridge where bus #33 stops. It will take you through the hard to navigate portion, there are active train tracks and fences to keep you from crossing from the street to the park. There are two pedestrian bridges that cross the tracks. Use a mapping app to see where to get off the bus and access the bridges. Is it safe? Yes, we take our grandchildren on this walk and there are tons of bikers. It can get congested. Enjoy.

24 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Tigergenesis I think my answer would depend upon your luggage. There is a very nice park along the waterfront, but getting to it can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. Consider walking across the parking lot and up a set of stairs on the Magnolia Bridge where bus #33 stops. It will take you through the hard to navigate portion, there are active train tracks and fences to keep you from crossing from the street to the park. There are two pedestrian bridges that cross the tracks. Use a mapping app to see where to get off the bus and access the bridges. Is it safe? Yes, we take our grandchildren on this walk and there are tons of bikers. It can get congested. Enjoy.

Hello and thank you! If we do this, we won't have any luggage with us. I took a look at Google Maps. It has us taking Alaskan Way West for a bit before getting on Elliot Bay Trail. However, the map makes it appear that we can get on Elliott Bay Trail sooner. Is this advisable or would sticking with Alaskan Way West be best? We've never walked out of a port.  Is that"allowed"?

Screenshot_20230624_235028_Maps.jpg

I am not sure about the legal aspect of walking out.  Someone else may have some guidance The pier is also home to other businesses and I cannot see how they can restrict how people get to work.  There is a bus stop on the Magnolia Bridge.  If you zoom in on Google Maps and switch to the photo image ( real) view and zoom in, you will see that the suggested route along Elliot actually crosses the entrance to the trail.  TAKE THE TRAIL it is why you are there.  Elliot is simply an industry lined road.  The trail is for enjoyment. Expect bikes The route on the pier appears to take in marked walking paths and a sidewalk pavement.  With all the parking there needs to be built in safe passage.  Back in the day this pier is where the ships from Japan unloaded cars from Honda et al and loaded them on to rail cars

31 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I am not sure about the legal aspect of walking out.  Someone else may have some guidance The pier is also home to other businesses and I cannot see how they can restrict how people get to work.  There is a bus stop on the Magnolia Bridge.  If you zoom in on Google Maps and switch to the photo image ( real) view and zoom in, you will see that the suggested route along Elliot actually crosses the entrance to the trail.  TAKE THE TRAIL it is why you are there.  Elliot is simply an industry lined road.  The trail is for enjoyment. Expect bikes The route on the pier appears to take in marked walking paths and a sidewalk pavement.  With all the parking there needs to be built in safe passage.  Back in the day this pier is where the ships from Japan unloaded cars from Honda et al and loaded them on to rail cars

Thank you so much!!!

You can walk from Pier 91 to the DT Seattle Waterfront along the Elliott Bay Trail - (if you had luggage I would not recommend it, but you said no luggage).

From the terminal building, you would follow the passengers walking towards the Uber/Lyft pick up area, continue walking pass that area towards a large parking area (Lot B where staff parks).  You could follow the road while walking thru Park Lot B (safer than walking along the roadway).  Follow the road towards the guard gate, walk out thru the guard gate, and just pass the guard gate you will see a paved trail (Elliott Bay Trail).  Turn right onto the trail (you will see grass and water), and basically follow this paved trail until you reach the Seattle Waterfront.  Once you start the trail, you are committed to finishing it.

Let's ask my friend @Glaciers, who has walked this trail about their thoughts.

This Youtube video is a reverse view of your planned walk.  If you pick it up at minute 3:45 you will see a sign for Pier 91 in the upper right corner.  At minute 3:51 you will see the trail cross in front of the Pier 91 Guard Gate and head towards Seattle's Waterfront.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People walk to/from the cruise terminal at Smith Cove each day there is a ship in port when the weather is decent.  Most are light packers and many are dragging their rollies. As @Ferry_Watcher noted you head towards the ride share lot along the marked white painted walkway. Continue following it as it turns right and follow it to Gate A which is where you would connect to the Elliott Bay Trail. If you need a point of reference you’ll be headed towards the Grain Terminal which you’ll be able to see at a distance. You’ll pass by it in about 20 minutes after exiting the gate. If the map link I provided works it will give you an idea of which direction to go. If you end up at the Magnolia Bridge you’ve taken a wrong turn although it would be difficult to get lost if you just follow the marked path.

The posted You Tube video is great. Two things, at about 3:51, at the crosswalk, of the video is where the gate is although difficult to see. The video continues on from this point and you want to turn right on the trail as Ferry_Watcher noted and not left following the video. The video follows the bike path and you’ll take the pedestrian path that is closer to the waterfront. They are the same path for the first 100 yards or so. They parallel each other the entire way. The map just takes you to Pier 70 which is in the north end of Belltown.

Another note, there is an osprey nest on top of one of the light posts near the gate you will exit. They’ve been active fishing and did have chicks this year. Keep a look out. You may also see bald eagles along the way.

https://goo.gl/maps/oxDdEVfPZt5cMLXK8

Edited by Glaciers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1