Thoughts on cruising with a partner with dementia and a cane

libtrek

Recently cruised on Jewel to Alaska with hubs who uses a cane and has been diagnosed with dementia. His memory is bad, he is slow walking, he gets cranky but not violent. Some suggestions from our experience. 1. For slow cane walkers, request wheelchair service for airports and embarkation/debarkation. 2. Assume you will need to help him. Take advantage of ship laundry and only bring one big suitcase. Get string type lightweight backpacks for both of you. One easy carry on, stack on big case? 3. If going to Alaska during light season, assume it will cause disorientation. Keep curtains shut, bring an eye mask, tell him they are having a Lone Ranger contest. As mine got up at 1am, assumed it was afternoon, got dressed and tried to leave, bring bells or something for door so you will wake up. 4. I understand you can request a kids ID bracelet that has your information. Tell him if he wears it all cruise, he will get a free beer. 5. I found fellow cruisers to be very kind and helpful. I just smiled and said thank you. You never know how much time you have or if there will be a next time. 6. KISS. I made things too complicated. Go for direct flights, closest hotel to port, etc. Extra cost will be worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting your advice.  We took my mother-in-law a couple of years ago on a cruise and we did a lot of the same.  Having a wheelchair not just for airports, but also on the ship was helpful. Some of the cruise ships are very long.

Having a number of family members along helped out significantly.  I understand that not everyone can do that, but if you can, it really can help with sharing the responsibilities.

Lastly, never be afraid to ask a crewmember for help.

On 6/24/2023 at 8:32 PM, libtrek said:

Recently cruised on Jewel to Alaska with hubs who uses a cane and has been diagnosed with dementia. His memory is bad, he is slow walking, he gets cranky but not violent. Some suggestions from our experience. 1. For slow cane walkers, request wheelchair service for airports and embarkation/debarkation. 2. Assume you will need to help him. Take advantage of ship laundry and only bring one big suitcase. Get string type lightweight backpacks for both of you. One easy carry on, stack on big case? 3. If going to Alaska during light season, assume it will cause disorientation. Keep curtains shut, bring an eye mask, tell him they are having a Lone Ranger contest. As mine got up at 1am, assumed it was afternoon, got dressed and tried to leave, bring bells or something for door so you will wake up. 4. I understand you can request a kids ID bracelet that has your information. Tell him if he wears it all cruise, he will get a free beer. 5. I found fellow cruisers to be very kind and helpful. I just smiled and said thank you. You never know how much time you have or if there will be a next time. 6. KISS. I made things too complicated. Go for direct flights, closest hotel to port, etc. Extra cost will be worth it.

Keep us updated? Do you think it was your last cruise together?💞

30 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

Keep us updated? Do you think it was your last cruise together?💞

Not sure. I have been giving it lots of thought. I would book late, just before we would leave. A lot depends on how he does in the next months and as long as he doesn’t get violent or start to wander. I would do direct flights, stay close to the port, pack light. In the meantime, I try to enjoy every day.

18 minutes ago, libtrek said:

Not sure. I have been giving it lots of thought. I would book late, just before we would leave. A lot depends on how he does in the next months and as long as he doesn’t get violent or start to wander. I would do direct flights, stay close to the port, pack light. In the meantime, I try to enjoy every day.

My husband's mobility is limited; he uses a rollator. We almost have to book months ahead to get a cabin near the elevators we use the most. I'm checking cabins frequently to try to improve on cabin location for a Nov cruise.

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 1