Marrella discovery

We are looking at a cruise in October on Marella discovery which includes 7 days in a Orlando hotel plus the 7 day cruise to grand Turk.

We have only cruised once before with Fred Olsen on the Bolette, so trying to spread our wings and the deal for the above cruise via iglu cruises seemed to good to miss.

If possible could anyone answer a few questions we have.

1/ is the Marella discovery of a decent standard.

2/ my wife is gluten free, Fred Olsen were brilliant, so we hoped she would be looked after as well on that ship.

3/ anyone used iglu and are they trustworthy.

Thanks for any help

Kenny

Hiya Kenny,  yes Marella Discovery is very good been on her 4 times. there is a variety of gluten free stuff  and  crew in dining areas  will answer any concerns  about that.  we have used iglu  a couple of times and they were ok with us.

Enjoy and dont worry you will have a great time.

Graham

Hi Kenny

The Dream was our favourite ship before it went to the knackers yard .

We have cruised on every other ship in the Marella fleet apart from Voyager which will be add to our portfolio in October so at the moment Discovery(2)is our favourite ship out of them all

Like the lay out,cabins are fine,food is decent,entertainment is normally excellent,staff are top of the pops and cant beat it for friendliness of fellow passengers

Its not perfect but is any cruise ship?

Never tried Igloo, I always book via Topcashback, then Tui website. Currently Topcashback are offering 4% on cruises Oct- Dec (every little helps)

We have done cruise and stay with Marella, but sometimes the stay is a let down after the cruise. Also, if you require a hotel thats all inclusive (like the cruise), then there can sometimes be very little price difference than having a 14 night cruise.

My wife is Coeliac. Even though you can inform Marella, it is always best to go to reception once boarded, and also see the Head waiter on the first visit. Marella provide the following days menu, for her to select from, which is handed back to reception, or the dining room. Gluten free dishes are marked on the menu, and if the these meals don't appeal, you can ask them to 'create' your own choices. The standard choices for Coeliacs is more restricted, unless you get 'creative'. We find having breakfast and evening meals in the main dining room helps, and if you eat with the same 'dining team', they get used to whats required.

Unfortunately, there are no gluten free lagers, even though there are several choices for non-coeliacs.

Enjoy the cruise if you decide to go, the staff are Marellas greatest asset.

Forgot to say, the Discovery is an ex Royal Carribean ship.

Edited by howmuch!

I have been on both  Discovery  and Dicovery 2  and I am gluten free too, I let them know in the dining room and  I pre ordered from a menu the night in the dining room, I was brought gf bread to have with my dinnner and the gf meals were all lovely., this was pre covid.

For breakfast there was lots of fruits,cheeses,  and an omlette station and I usually asked a member of staff to have the gf bread toasted and they took it away and brought it back. One day we had breakfast in the main dining room and I asked if they had gf pancakes  they said it would take a bit longer but we waited (it was  a sea day we were'nt going anywhere! ) and they made some and they were really nice! They had a station in the buffet marked gluten free and they even had a gf afternoon tea, with tiny gf scones and desserts, your wife will be well looked after hope you go ahead and book! 

1 hour ago, howmuch! said:

Never tried Igloo, I always book via Topcashback, then Tui website. Currently Topcashback are offering 4% on cruises Oct- Dec (every little helps)

Found Topcashback ok untill the payment was over £100, then they would not pay even after approval, others had the same experience on social media.👎

Never had a problem on Tui/Marella holidays, but never managed to generate £100 cashback in one transaction. I've been with them and Quidco for years, but given up on Quidco for the saame reason

• Like 1