When can I book comedy club?

Jasonmom

On previous ships I sailed that have Headliners (which is called the Social Club on Joy I believe), nothing in that venue can be booked. That includes comedians and Howl at the Moon (which I don’t know if they have on Joy; doesn’t come up in the app for my upcoming Joy cruise). I want to say sometimes if they do a comedian show in the theater you can book onboard, but even those may be first-come, first-serve? I’d have to look at old Dailies. Another venue I’m certain does not take reservations is the Cavern Club (The Beatles shows).

57 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

On previous ships I sailed that have Headliners (which is called the Social Club on Joy I believe), nothing in that venue can be booked. That includes comedians and Howl at the Moon (which I don’t know if they have on Joy; doesn’t come up in the app for my upcoming Joy cruise). I want to say sometimes if they do a comedian show in the theater you can book onboard, but even those may be first-come, first-serve? I’d have to look at old Dailies. Another venue I’m certain does not take reservations is the Cavern Club (The Beatles shows).

Several of the shows (Comedy and Howl at the Moon) can be booked once on board.  We have done so at the touch screens as recently as our cruise on the Joy in March.  They are not available to book until departure day.  

If you book a spot, you will be able to go in when the doors open (30min early?).  If you do not, you will wait in the open seating line.  They typically will let those in line take open seats 15min(?) before show  (not sure the exact timing there...sorry)

There will also be a print-out you can find at guest services (or Haven concierge desk) with the planned schedule of entertainment for the cruise.

Oh...and The Cavern Club and Sid Normans are First Come First Serve only...you need to get there early to get a seat.  And, if you get any seat other then close up front, let it be known you will have dozens standing all around you by the time the shows start.  In March the Cavern club was packed like a sardine can.  

Tip (if you are ok not "seeing" the band), you can sit outside at the Waterfront bar, enjoy drinks and hear all the music piped out to you.  On a nice evening sail, it is a wonderful spot!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Tip (if you are ok not "seeing" the band), you can sit outside at the Waterfront bar, enjoy drinks and hear all the music piped out to you.  On a nice evening sail, it is a wonderful spot!

This is awesome; thank you! I don’t need to see them…like, uh, not actually The Beatles and I don’t need that part of the illusion 🤣. Is the sound quality ok outside, though? Is it muffled?

12 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

This is awesome; thank you! I don’t need to see them…like, uh, not actually The Beatles and I don’t need that part of the illusion 🤣. Is the sound quality ok outside, though? Is it muffled?

It was pretty good sound as it was coming through the speakers right around the outside bar.  But it also wasn't so loud that you couldn't have a conversation.  

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Tip (if you are ok not "seeing" the band), you can sit outside at the Waterfront bar, enjoy drinks and hear all the music piped out to you.

52 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

I don’t need to see them…like, uh, not actually The Beatles and I don’t need that part of the illusion 🤣. Is the sound quality ok outside, though? Is it muffled?

there is actually a small mounted TV near or above the bar, if memory serves. so, you can see them and here them. sound quality is good! (sound comes from auxiliary speakers and not the TV.)

3 hours ago, hallux said:

No Howl on the Joy.

unless you’re in a cabin next to newlyweds.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

It was pretty good sound as it was coming through the speakers right around the outside bar.  But it also wasn't so loud that you couldn't have a conversation.  

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

there is actually a small mounted TV near or above the bar, if memory serves. so, you can see them and here them. sound quality is good! (sound comes from auxiliary speakers and not the TV.)

Ahhhh this is amazing! Thanks, guys! I really want to hear the band, but I don’t love crowds and it can be difficult for me to get to the venues super early before showtime because of my little dude. I’m lucky because my mom comes with us so there’s someone to watch him (and DH doesn’t like Beatles anyway so I’ll probably go to this alone), but sometimes he only wants me to put him to bed, etc., so if I can just show up at the outside bar, grab a drink, and chill outdoors listening, I’ll be super happy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

And, if you get any seat other then close up front, let it be known you will have dozens standing all around you by the time the shows start. 

On Prima in February, no one was allowed to block the view of a seated guest. Anyone who tried was moved quite quickly by staff.

As always, your experience may be different.

This was my vantage point for seeing the Beatles show one night, on the Joy - 

image.thumb.jpeg.3111e7a531326c4230b59ac8ff69b62d.jpeg

The person in the flowered shirt is about even with the entrance to the venue.

The next time on that cruise wasn't much better.  I'm AT the entrance door now...

image.thumb.jpeg.78413c5e5d321933cf4497b33c038b79.jpeg

1 hour ago, hallux said:

This was my vantage point for seeing the Beatles show one night, on the Joy - 

image.thumb.jpeg.3111e7a531326c4230b59ac8ff69b62d.jpeg

The person in the flowered shirt is about even with the entrance to the venue.

The next time on that cruise wasn't much better.  I'm AT the entrance door now...

image.thumb.jpeg.78413c5e5d321933cf4497b33c038b79.jpeg

Yes!  that is the issue with the Cavern Club on the Joy...It is long and narrow...In March the flow of people coming in through those doors on the right, was non stop.  We were standing probably where you were in the top picture and anyone sitting in those seats behind were simply being blocked by everyone coming in and trying to find a place to stand.  It was significantly more crowded than your picture.

There was nobody monitoring/limiting the occupancy within the club so it was a free for all.

The next evening we simply sat at the bar outside and enjoyed the music from there.  

31 minutes ago, chillyw said:

Sounds like they're really embracing the Cavern side of the Club.

Compared to venues on Prima, it's uh, "cavernous".  🤣🤣 🤣

• Haha 2

On 6/30/2023 at 7:57 AM, Jasonmom said:

Have a cruise on the joy coming up soon. Was wondering when I can I book The comedy clubs? I've been able to book the shows but unable to book the comedy clubs thus far.

When I I was on the Joy in January, my best friend and I went to the Social Comedy Club and Night Club ( deck 6) on embarkation day and booked all the entertainment that could be booked including the comedy for me. They give you a paper with the shows and times/ dates and you fill it while you’re in line and then turn it in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viajera7 said:

and booked all the entertainment that could be booked including the comedy for me.

Are you certain you are remembering correctly?  All the comedy shows are listed with days and times, but you can't book them in advance.

At least that's my memory.

8 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Are you certain you are remembering correctly?  All the comedy shows are listed with days and times, but you can't book them in advance.

Each ship may be different but I was able to reserve comedy shows on the Escape in March.  Reservations MAY have been available when I sailed the Joy last year...

3 hours ago, Viajera7 said:

When I I was on the Joy in January, my best friend and I went to the Social Comedy Club and Night Club ( deck 6) on embarkation day and booked all the entertainment that could be booked including the comedy for me. They give you a paper with the shows and times/ dates and you fill it while you’re in line and then turn it in.

This is the way I remember it from last summer. I'm sailing Joy again in 22 days so I'll see if it's the same. 

8 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

This is the way I remember it from last summer. I'm sailing Joy again in 22 days so I'll see if it's the same. 

Hmm. Am I thinking about the Cavern Club? I don't remember the Beatles shows being able to be booked either.

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

I was able to reserve comedy shows on the Escape in March. 

Excellent. We'll be on Escape in November.

7 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Hmm. Am I thinking about the Cavern Club? I don't remember the Beatles shows being able to be booked either.

Definitely couldn't book Beatles shows. Cavern or theater. 

We booked Footloose, Elements and a couple of comedy shows. Really simple. 

4 hours ago, RB9643 said:

I am absolutely sure that was the case because I was traveling with my best friend on that Panama Canal cruise and we booked other shows for both of us but I was the only one booking the comedy since she doesn’t like it.

@hallux is correct too. When I was on the Escape I was also able to book the comedy show with a cruise next representative. I also booked the Choir of Men and the Supper Club dinner show using the Cruise Next person. That was a new one to me. I wish that was the case for all the ships.

17 minutes ago, Viajera7 said:

@hallux is correct too. When I was on the Escape I was also able to book the comedy show with a cruise next representative. I also booked the Choir of Men and the Supper Club dinner show using the Cruise Next person. That was a new one to me. I wish that was the case for all the ships.

I booked mine at the Box Office as soon as I got on the ship.

57 minutes ago, hallux said:

I booked mine at the Box Office as soon as I got on the ship.

I did not know that you could book them with the Cruise Next people until I was on the  BTS tour and the CN person told us. I went to book the shows as soon as the  BTS tour ended. I don’t know if that happens only on the Escape. I would like to know if this happens in other ships.

8 hours ago, Viajera7 said:

This was our experience on the Joy in February. Comedy clubs, Footloose and Elements were all bookable in the Social as soon as we boarded (well, close to it...we got on at 11 and were able to book at 11:30). 

• Like 1