Told by Carnival that we DON'T need notarized note for minor & one parent traveling..

GoodAsGold

I am so confused by this...

first, my ex...we have no contact with him...it's impossible to get a letter from him.....and he doesn't even deserve the consideration of needing his permission to travel with my kids...

second......my friend, while traveling on RCL i believe it was, was DENIED BOARDING for not having the letter....YES, DENIED IN FLORIDA TO BOARD THE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

So some say no problem, others say yes....however, there are plenty of deadbeat parents around that you can't track down....my ex still pays child support..(well, until january of this year) not nearly long enough to have rights terminated, and he has not officially "abondoned" the kids. so i'm suppose to track down the deadbeat for his "permission"....geesh!

I understand the reason for it...parents do abduct their own children. heck, my ex did mine for 10 days.....i was affraid he was leaving the country with them. (they have their own private planes) Thank God he did not.

It just seems like there could be a better way...and a "universal" rule regarding kids so everyone gets the same answers. we have missed taking vacations with the kids because of this "rule".

Well here is my 2 cents worth...

My kids an I sailed back in February to Cozumel on the Holiday ( unbelievable time by the way...:) ). My EX did sign a permission letter and no one ever asked to see it ( like it's been said....better safe than sorry ). Now my dilemma.....

I've booked another vacation for us sailing on the Destiny to the Bahamas. The EX IS FURIOUS !! Mainly because I have the means to take the kids on a vacation of this type and she does not. Reading through all the Home Land Security regs, I am in the process of getting passports for all of us. I sent a very nice letter to the EX along with the passport forms for children ( non attending parent ) along with money to cover notary fee. Well, guess what? The EX is holding the forms "hostage" :eek:....lol. Says she won't sign until I pay money above and beyong child support for "extra activities" for the kids. I have joint custody and it really saddens me for all the like single parents out there like me who have to go through all this BS with their EX's. But, being the non-deadbeat, responsible, resourceful dad that I am, I'm certain we'll be catchin' some rays in the Bahamas come july........:D This trip may cost me double, but if it does.....that's fine with me......my kids are worth every penny...... I'll keep you posted on the "drama".......lol

Wow! things must have changed. I traveled with my teen son in 2005 on one Carnival cruise, and my son and his friend on another (Princess) in 2006 and we were not ever asked for any documents showing permission to travel. They were teens--maybe that mattered since they were older?

Sad single parents have these issues. But I'd rather have this than be married to my son's father still! LOL

Well here is my 2 cents worth...

My kids an I sailed back in February to Cozumel on the Holiday ( unbelievable time by the way...:) ). My EX did sign a permission letter and no one ever asked to see it ( like it's been said....better safe than sorry ). Now my dilemma.....

I've booked another vacation for us sailing on the Destiny to the Bahamas. The EX IS FURIOUS !! Mainly because I have the means to take the kids on a vacation of this type and she does not. Reading through all the Home Land Security regs, I am in the process of getting passports for all of us. I sent a very nice letter to the EX along with the passport forms for children ( non attending parent ) along with money to cover notary fee. Well, guess what? The EX is holding the forms "hostage" :eek:....lol. Says she won't sign until I pay money above and beyong child support for "extra activities" for the kids. I have joint custody and it really saddens me for all the like single parents out there like me who have to go through all this BS with their EX's. But, being the non-deadbeat, responsible, resourceful dad that I am, I'm certain we'll be catchin' some rays in the Bahamas come july........:D This trip may cost me double, but if it does.....that's fine with me......my kids are worth every penny...... I'll keep you posted on the "drama".......lol

To hell with that. I would lawyer up and take it to either mediation or a judge. She doesn't have the right ot hijack you for more money than the court order you both signed. And she certainly doesn't have the right to use the kids' passports as leverage. Things like this sicken me. I hope you have a positive outcome to this situation.

To hell with that. I would lawyer up and take it to either mediation or a judge. She doesn't have the right ot hijack you for more money than the court order you both signed. And she certainly doesn't have the right to use the kids' passports as leverage. Things like this sicken me. I hope you have a positive outcome to this situation.

Working on that even as we speak.......;)

I have been on three cruises with my daughter from age 3 to 8. I never needed anything. Always took the letter though just in case. As a matter of fact, in all the traveling that I have done with her, I was only checked one time and that was with the airline on my way to Aruba.

****UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE****

Well, guess what was in my mailbox today? Signed and notorized forms from the EX giving me permission to get my kid's passports and take them on our cruise. I guess that message from my lawyer suggesting that she not have a charge of blackmail and extortion levied against her did the trick;).........watch out Nassau, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.........we gonna bust it wide open !!!!!! Yee Ha!!!!:D:D:D

****UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE****

Well, guess what was in my mailbox today? Signed and notorized forms from the EX giving me permission to get my kid's passports and take them on our cruise. I guess that message from my lawyer suggesting that she not have a charge of blackmail and extortion levied against her did the trick;).........watch out Nassau, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.........we gonna bust it wide open !!!!!! Yee Ha!!!!:D:D:D

Good news! I did that itinerary not too long ago, you're going to have a great time!

I called Carnival today just to make DOUBLY sure the last CCL agent gave me the correct information. Apparently she did...

...Anyway, the way they have it printed in their brochure and website is confusing. It's the statement about a child traveling with only one parent and needing a notarized letter from the absent parent giving permission for the child to travel. It specifies that if you debark in Mexico, it will be needed. (I had always had one done when we sailed on Princess, although never once did anyone in Mexico question me. Besides, how would they know my husband wasn't just staying on the ship instead of getting off with us in the port?

My ex just gave me my boys letter today. I fig it is worth it just in case. I don't want to drive 4 hours and then hear you need a letter.If I don't need it great, but if someone dose ask I have it. I just fig I might have problems when we board due to the fact I am remarried and my two sons have a different last name than me.

To the OP - Please get the letter, just in case you need it.

I have always been a single mom (my daughter's dad left when he found out I was pregnant), and have cruised with my daughter 4 times. Two times, nobody asked to see the letter.

When we were in Vancouver, about to board to go to Alaska, the Canadian customs/immigration people gave us a heck of a time. Examined the letter carefully and asked tons of questions.

Another time, coming back into Fort Lauderdale, a US Customs official told me not to say a word, looked right at my 3-year old daughter and asked her what her full name was, and if I was her mom. I was so afraid she would be all scared and confused and say no! Fortunately, it all worked out. But the point is, you are at the mercy of the individual whose line you get into when you travel. HAVE THE LETTER!

We recently took a driving trip into Canada for a few days. Me, my mom and my 2 boys. DH couldn't get time off from work. I knew about the need for letters so I drafted a consent letter, with dates and information about our trip, had DH sign it and had it notarized. Well, we get to the Canadian border and wouldn't you know it, the official asks me for the permission letter. Questions the boys as to where their dad is and stuff like that.

Glad I had it or we would have been turned away at the border. I don't plan on cruising with the kids w/o DH, but there is a chance we'll go to WDW one day w/o him since I get more vacation. If so, I'll get the letter again to be sure. No one wants to miss their vacation because they decided it was too much hassle to get the letter (if getting it were possible...not the same for those w/ absent/missing/vindictive ex's).

Cruising on The Victory in July with my boyfriend and his 12 year old son. His ex wife never changed her name. SO, a noterized letter from her signed by her would have a different name then the son. THEN WHAT??? We will not be going to Mexico, BTW.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I just booked my first cruise. And, the reason that I wanted a cruise was that I learned that I could take my son on a cruise without a passport until June 2009. I couldn't get a passport for my son because his father disappeared 10 years ago. I was assured by Carnival that I did not need a letter from the other parent, even if I went to Mexico. However, being safe by nature, I opted for the Eastern Caribbean cruise. Still wanting to be safe, I talked with the State department. They said that the Bahamas and Turks would be fine without a letter of permission. But, I could have a problem coming back through US Customs. A lot of people say that odd are that you will never be checked. I took the warnings seriously... contacted the man from 10 years ago to get an ongoing letter of consent and the passport signature.... and believe it or not, he signed and returned. A happy ending for us... I will travel feeling more secure with the letter in hand... even if he shouldn't have the right to give consent.

Archived