Cruise Insurance: Good, Bad Experiences?

MtnGolf4

On 7/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, GeezerCouple said:

This is how most "medical travel insurance" works (and most non-medical travel insurance).

One needs to pay first, and get reimbursed later.  It's *not* like going to your local physician and handing over your insurance card, etc.

[I think there *are* some coverages that will "provide the care", but I think one needs to go to a network provider overseas, same as "at home".]

In some cases (depending upon insurer and the provider), there may be some assistance with either "guaranteeing" payment or actually wiring funds, but this is not common and certainly not automatic with most coverages.

This is why we always keep high limits available on our charge cards, should we suddenly find ourselves confronted with significant and "non-optional" costs.

One example of the "guarantee" is what I saw at one ER billing office overseas.  While they were starting to care for DH, I had been "guided" to the ER billing office. 😉  I simply handed over our Amex Plat card (which doesn't have the same sort of "limit" that many other cards have).  But while they were taking the information (for the bill to be determined later), I saw several notices on the wall.  One of them stated that the hospital would NOT accept any "insurance guarantees" *except* from the following insurers...  There was a short list following that had the names of several well-known travel insurers. 

There can also be other relatively high cost expenses, such as last-minute, high cost air tickets home, so again, a charge card would come in very handy!

Our travel insurance has paid our claims usually in about 2 weeks from receiving all of the documentation, so it's not a long lag time.  (And some of our larger insurance claims have been for the cost of fully paid, non-refundable cruises and air, so those were already paid, and we just end up reimbursing ourselves when the check arrives.)

RM

This is how most "medical travel insurance" works (and most non-medical travel insurance).

One needs to pay first, and get reimbursed later.”

That is correct in many instances where you are treated and released, for example. But for more complicated situations, like hospital overnights or lengthy evals if you choose a policy with PRIMARY medical/medivac coverage the insurer can step in and work with the provider immediately. They will reimburse you for any immediate out of pocket expenses, thus eliminating the need to later file a claim.

If you have Secondary coverage you will be filing a claim…

Just want to clarify or point out the difference in Primary vs Secondary medical coverage…

We’ve had two medical emergencies while traveling, both involving brief hospital stays. Allianz was our insurer in both cases, and customer service was amazing. The rep took over the case that night, and reimbursed our initial $6,000 outlay the next morning for diagnostics/admissions/treatment and the room…

Even with Primary medical coverage, you always need to have access to several thousand $$$ for immediate expenses. For example, if being diagnosed/treated or admitted to a facility and released before the insurer has time to become involved…

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...