Shore Excursion descriptions

burnabyjean

8 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

FYI On our Grand European cruise some friends took the Salzburg excursion and regretted it. It was a very long bus ride to spend very little time there. 

I looked at it, would love to go to Salzburg, but the drive time kept me from booking it...

The Sydney to Bali "Komodo & The Australian Coast" cruise is first half of our "South Pacific Sojourn" cruise boarding the Viking Orion in Sydney on February 27.  A month ago, and out of curiosity, I looked at the excursions listed on the website for both cruises. For the most part, the excursions were the same except for Day 6. For the Komodo Australian Coast cruise, there were 11 excursions mostly centered around snorkeling & catamaran sailing to the Great Barrier Reef.  But when I looked at the excursions for the South Pacific Sojourn, there were only 6 excursions including "Golf on Hamilton Island" and "Tea on the Sea".  Nothing too exciting.

I emailed tellus@Vikingcruises to ask why there were different excursions on the same ship on the same day but two different cruises.  The first explanation was ridiculous, but the second explanation was the passengers on the 17 day Komodo/Australian cruise want a different experience than those on the 29 day South Pacific Sojourn.  Huh?!

I understand the excursions will probably change again but my concern regarding the discrepancy must have been noted.   If you look on the website today, specifically on Day 6, the excursions are still different.  There are 4 excursions listed for the Komodo/Australian cruise and 9 excursions listed for the South Pacific Sojourn.  Same ship, same day, different cruises.

9 hours ago, 55Division said:

The Sydney to Bali "Komodo & The Australian Coast" cruise is first half of our "South Pacific Sojourn" cruise boarding the Viking Orion in Sydney on February 27.  A month ago, and out of curiosity, I looked at the excursions listed on the website for both cruises. For the most part, the excursions were the same except for Day 6. For the Komodo Australian Coast cruise, there were 11 excursions mostly centered around snorkeling & catamaran sailing to the Great Barrier Reef.  But when I looked at the excursions for the South Pacific Sojourn, there were only 6 excursions including "Golf on Hamilton Island" and "Tea on the Sea".  Nothing too exciting.

I emailed tellus@Vikingcruises to ask why there were different excursions on the same ship on the same day but two different cruises.  The first explanation was ridiculous, but the second explanation was the passengers on the 17 day Komodo/Australian cruise want a different experience than those on the 29 day South Pacific Sojourn.  Huh?!

I understand the excursions will probably change again but my concern regarding the discrepancy must have been noted.   If you look on the website today, specifically on Day 6, the excursions are still different.  There are 4 excursions listed for the Komodo/Australian cruise and 9 excursions listed for the South Pacific Sojourn.  Same ship, same day, different cruises.

A potential reason could be the cruises are using a different port in the area. We have used both Airlie Beach and Hamilton Island on separate cruises. Although both are in the same region, they have different shore-ex.