As Saga "River Cruises" are not listed under that (sponsored!) title, here's a comment -

Balloon Man

Having enjoyed more than 30 cruises, including two ocean cruises with Saga and another booked next year, we thought we would try one of their river cruises (instead of our usual choice, Scenic).

One difference, of course, is that the Saga chauffeur takes you to the airport terminal, not the ship.
Fair enough. They even book you into an airport lounge at Heathrow.
But because they don't issue flight tickets until just four days, yes four days, before the flight, you can't choose seats until then - even for disabled people, which Saga otherwise cares for very well. And I needed that help.

The fact I'm a long time BA Exec Club member was no help as I couldn't use the benefits.
Why? BA told me they were sorry but the problem was Saga's policy.
We've booked another river cruise with a different company for October. Seats chosen with BA. No Problem.
Come on Saga, this is a poor policy for a company that otherwise takes good care of the elderly and disabled so well.

18 hours ago, Balloon Man said:

Having enjoyed more than 30 cruises, including two ocean cruises with Saga and another booked next year, we thought we would try one of their river cruises (instead of our usual choice, Scenic).

One difference, of course, is that the Saga chauffeur takes you to the airport terminal, not the ship.
Fair enough. They even book you into an airport lounge at Heathrow.
But because they don't issue flight tickets until just four days, yes four days, before the flight, you can't choose seats until then - even for disabled people, which Saga otherwise cares for very well. And I needed that help.

The fact I'm a long time BA Exec Club member was no help as I couldn't use the benefits.
Why? BA told me they were sorry but the problem was Saga's policy.
We've booked another river cruise with a different company for October. Seats chosen with BA. No Problem.
Come on Saga, this is a poor policy for a company that otherwise takes good care of the elderly and disabled so well.

You don’t actually need tickets to choose seats, All BA require is the six character BA booking code and your surname to “Manage my booking” .

You mention disability, If that’s the case Saga should be able to give you the code. DW is totally deaf in one ear and limited hearing in the other, so I or a carer needs to sit on her good (better) side. Some years ago I explained this to BA and said on a long or an overnight flight it was unacceptable that she was woken up by a stranger by being shaken. BA was most accommodating and registered her as disabled. I have just received our booking code and accessed “My booking” added BA exec number, and seat numbers were immediately allocated and shown with the ability to change them if necessary FOC.

The only problem we have had when BA had sold a block of 100 plus seats to P&O and could not issue the booking code until P&O told BA who would be travelling, Which we found incredible that BA weren’t not informed until less than two weeks before, obviously cruisers are not considered potential terrorists or ne’er-do-wells.

I have the booking code from Saga, but BA say it is a group booking so cannot help until tickets are issued by Saga (which I am told is four days prior to departure).
Even Saga say we can only check in at the airport before boarding “But we try to sit our group together.”

Been told by Saga we will be collected by taxi almost 11 hours before departure of aircraft! It's only 2 hours 30 to LHR from where we live. But their lovely Kirsty in their after sales service has agreed it needs looking into.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 7:15 PM, Balloon Man said:

Been told by Saga we will be collected by taxi almost 11 hours before departure of aircraft! It's only 2 hours 30 to LHR from where we live. But their lovely Kirsty in their after sales service has agreed it needs looking into.

Please let us know the outcome regarding your taxi transfer timing, and BA seat booking? Thanks.