Port of Quebec City to VIA Rail Gare du Palais

CruisnDeb

Does anyone know the best route to walk from the cruise port to the VIA Rail Gare du Palais?  Google maps shows 3 different ways to go.  When I look at the street view, it seems to be lacking sidewalks.  We will have 1 large suitcase each so I'm wondering which way would be best to go.  I hate to call Uber for such a short trip if I don't need to.

2 hours ago, CruisnDeb said:

Does anyone know the best route to walk from the cruise port to the VIA Rail Gare du Palais? * * * When I look at the street view, it seems to be lacking sidewalks.

The last time we walked it was either along Quai Saint-Sandré or Rue Saint-Paul (I don't recall which). The former is less busy, while the latter has more commerce, but either route is fine. Absent any temporary construction there are plenty of sidewalks, so I do not fully understand the alleged lack of sidewalks . . . is there a particular location where no sidewalk was observed using Google street views?

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

The last time we walked it was either along Quai Saint-Sandré or Rue Saint-Paul (I don't recall which). The former is less busy, while the latter has more commerce, but either route is fine. Absent any temporary construction there are plenty of sidewalks, so I do not fully understand the alleged lack of sidewalks . . . is there a particular location where no sidewalk was observed using Google street views?

@GTJ Here is one of the routes going down Rue Abraham Martin.  The 2nd picture shows the street view.

image.jpeg.3d9f0b62013e1caaa2c75a1e9af4ca00.jpeg

image.jpeg.90505839d3f509fd4b9d4a36ea3c83d2.jpeg

43 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Make sure you know what terminal the ship will dock at

Some are further away than the one you posted in your  link

https://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/information-for-cruise-ship-passengers/access-to-docks

https://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/vessel-schedules/seasonal-schedule

I am being told by NCL that we will be at Wharf 30, which I believe is pretty close to where I marked on Google maps.  I appreciate the links and will check back as the cruise gets closer to make sure we are still at Wharf 30.

46 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

I am being told by NCL that we will be at Wharf 30, which I believe is pretty close to where I marked on Google maps.  I appreciate the links and will check back as the cruise gets closer to make sure we are still at Wharf 30.

Good  that they have the location  for disembarkation

1 hour ago, CruisnDeb said:

I am being told by NCL that we will be at Wharf 30, which I believe is pretty close to where I marked on Google maps.

This explains the confusion. The traditional terminal is very accessible, as noted, but the new terminal is inconvenient. Unfortunately, it looks like you will be stuck at the new terminal. Where you should be looking is at rue de l'Estuaire, north of where your Google map is focused. I don't have first hand knowledge of using the new terminal, and so I can only rely on my knowledge of having been in the general area. There's a few new street level pictures, but most are old and out-of-date. The aerial map at Bing is more recent than the aerial map at Google, and so you should take a look there: https://www.bing.com/maps?cp=46.821393~-71.210527&lvl=17.9&style=a. You can see from the aerial view that the port has mapped out a pedestrian area, westward from the new terminal, with crosswalks that leads to the established sidewalks that are closer to the Gare du Palais (don't zoom in too much or you'll get older aerial views!). On foot, when you get to the end of rue de l'Estuaire there will be a T-intersection with rue Abraham Martin. Turn right, and almost immediately you will find a bus entrance. Actually, the first driveway you encounter will be customer parking for Expedibus service, the bus system's package express service. Walk in through the driveway and at the far end of the small parking lot you will find an entrance to the bus terminal. Go inside: the bus terminal is connected to the railroad station. There is no need to walk around the station as Google maps directs you to do. The total distance is about 750m, or about 9 minutes walking. Use this link for the best foot directions: https://goo.gl/maps/eSnnNiTM5ZsX1cPX6. Once in the bus terminal there are luggage lockers, so you can store your baggage if needed. Several stores inside the bus terminal and railroad station, along with places to eat.

Thank you @LHT28 and @GTJ for all the info and insight. Guess I will have instructions ready from both terminals. Hopefully we get moved to the older terminal—it looks more walker friendly. Not sure how the bike race will play into all this but all we can do is make plans and hope for the best. 

• Like 1