Considering taking a welcome pickup to Oia from Fira and back between 4pm and 6 pm. Thoughts?

budmeister

It turns out that due to my excursion choice, I may be skipping a visit to Oia. We will not be back, this is a life-time special trip for us. I could take a pick-up from Fira at about 4 pm, and then one back to the cable cars at 6 pm. Is it worth it?  I know I will see plenty of views on my trip, and will not like it if the streets are unwalkable due to crowds of 5 ships in port (one will be arriving at 4 pm, not counting it!)  Ship are there till 8,9,10, and 11 pm. I  am not interested in shopping.  I just wonder if simply seeing Oia, and the views are not to be missed. 

Thoughts? 

55 minutes ago, marazul said:

Do it. It's beautiful.  You could actually have lighter crowds at that time. 

Thank you for answering!

Do you have a suggestion for a drop off/pick up spot in Oia? I will need to give the reservation a  destination.

5 minutes ago, budmeister said:

Thank you for answering!

Do you have a suggestion for a drop off/pick up spot in Oia? I will need to give the reservation a  destination.

There is only one spot in Oia at the entrance of the village.  Let the transfer company tell you where.

1 hour ago, budmeister said:

Thanks! By the time I get there, I will be so educated!

To enhance your education, don't forget that Google maps with satellite and street views are your friends! 😁 

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, budmeister said:

It turns out that due to my excursion choice, I may be skipping a visit to Oia. We will not be back, this is a life-time special trip for us. I could take a pick-up from Fira at about 4 pm, and then one back to the cable cars at 6 pm. Is it worth it?  I know I will see plenty of views on my trip, and will not like it if the streets are unwalkable due to crowds of 5 ships in port (one will be arriving at 4 pm, not counting it!)  Ship are there till 8,9,10, and 11 pm. I  am not interested in shopping.  I just wonder if simply seeing Oia, and the views are not to be missed. 

Thoughts? 

What time of year are you going? If it isn't at the height of summer, there will be fewer crowds in Oia.  Also if your ship is there that late, don't miss the sunset, it is spectacular in Santorini, usually moreso from Fira if you can find a nice taverna with a terrace.

21 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

What time of year are you going? If it isn't at the height of summer, there will be fewer crowds in Oia.  Also if your ship is there that late, don't miss the sunset, it is spectacular in Santorini, usually moreso from Fira if you can find a nice taverna with a terrace.

Hi,

I am going the second week of September. Allowing for 1.5 hours at the cable car line and 1 hour b4 the last expected tender, I plan to get in the cable car line at about 6:30 ish.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, budmeister said:

Hi,

I am going the second week of September. Allowing for 1.5 hours at the cable car line and 1 hour b4 the last expected tender, I plan to get in the cable car line at about 6:30 ish.

By then the crowds will definitely be less. September and October are my favorite months to be in Greece. Cheaper, less crowded and not unbearably hot. Enjoy!

• Like 1