How do Group Bookings (TA) cabins get returned back into inventory?

Just curious, really.. 

As I understand it...

Travel agencies will sometimes make group bookings and are able to offer lower pricing because of that. But, what happens if they don't sell all the cabins they "booked"? Are there agreements with the cruiseline to return unsold cabins back into inventory, or at least a % of the original ones booked?   Or are the TAs on the hook for all of their bookings?  I would imagine that there are multiple agreements based on the size of the TA.  

For example, when I look at one of my sailings, I see zero availability for a cabin that sleeps 4. But if I go to a website that I used to to check cabin availability, I see some.  I can't post the name here because they are also a travel agency. So maybe they still have some inventory? But the sailing is only 28 days away.  

I know there are a lot of TAs here, and I wonder if they can shed some light?

14 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Just curious, really.. 

As I understand it...

Travel agencies will sometimes make group bookings and are able to offer lower pricing because of that. But, what happens if they don't sell all the cabins they "booked"? Are there agreements with the cruiseline to return unsold cabins back into inventory, or at least a % of the original ones booked?   Or are the TAs on the hook for all of their bookings?  I would imagine that there are multiple agreements based on the size of the TA.  

For example, when I look at one of my sailings, I see zero availability for a cabin that sleeps 4. But if I go to a website that I used to to check cabin availability, I see some.  I can't post the name here because they are also a travel agency. So maybe they still have some inventory? But the sailing is only 28 days away.  

Travel agents do not hold cabins.

They hold space at a set rate within a category.  In order to hold cabins for more than 30 days there must be names and deposits.  

All group space is recalled by Roydl 120 days prior to sailing.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Just curious, really.. 

As I understand it...

If your cruise is 28 days away, no TA is holding cabins or space on your sailing. Before final payment, above says 120 days before space goes back. It wouldnt do any good to contact that ta over another. All can see whatever 4 pax cabins that are left. 

• Thanks 1

When an agent makes a group, there are certain deadlines that have to be met in terms of cabin fulfillment with the cruise line. They will recall a percentage of unsold cabins as you get closer to departure date - like this date is 75% of your cabins and this date is 50% of cabins, etc. There is no penalty for unsold cabins, they just go back into inventory. Each cruise line has different rules but that's primarily how it goes.

Generally at 28 days out the group would already be within penalty and all unsold cabins returned at this point, although sometimes it can be 3 weeks prior.

I will also say that sometimes group pricing isn't better than standard pricing, but there can be more perks for those travelling in a group (like OBC, or a free tour conductor credit (like a free passenger)) and the group price is set and won't fluctuate.

Edited by spethstation
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, spethstation said:

I will also say that sometimes group pricing isn't better than standard pricing, but there can be more perks for those travelling in a group (like OBC, or a free tour conductor credit (like a free passenger)) and the group price is set and won't fluctuate.

Our Bella1 group price dropped by a lot, so group prices can also drop if they are generic thru the TA company, not a set group travelling together. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Our Bella1 group price dropped by a lot, so group prices can also drop if they are generic thru the TA company, not a set group travelling together. 

That drop was during the start up phase after Covid when price drops were a dime a dozen.  That is no longer a common occurrence and I have not seen any since last year.  If it does happen it makes no difference whether it is a TA group or set group, pricing is treated the same.