REVIEW!! Ancient Mediterranean Treasures – Viking Sky

Woggie65

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

You need to go to Triberg for a cuckoo clock - unless tourist tat is OK with you.

Thank you for the info!

No, the guide suggested going to a government training school for lunch and we were served a delicious, farm fresh lunch on an empty porch (except for us and cats) which clearly could have held a bus load, but didn't for some reason.  The guide got to know us enough to know that we'd welcome the informality of this lunch spot which looked out on an ordinary vegetable garden.

Before lunch we watched demonstrations of weaving both wool and silk carpets.  I had no intention of buying a carpet, but we said yes to seeing some in a showroom and having a post lunch coffee.  It was fun to watch them roll them out and we learned more about the styles.  What I didn't know was that my husband had a 30th anniversary present in mind!  Frankly, I'm calling it his 75th birthday present instead but I love it, too.  He was convinced that most of the money went to the women doing the work, since it was a government run coop.  

Viking did give a little talk about rug buying and passed out a guide to their recommended shops in the Kusadasi port area -- places where you can trust your rug will arrive home on time, and where prices are reasonable if not fixed.  You do need to bargain some.  Our experience up to the moment we bought the rug had been so positive with our guide, Fatih, that we didn't worry that our shop wasn't on Viking's list -- it wasn't in the port, but out in the countryside.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, KTRaveller said:

No, the guide suggested going to a government training school for lunch and we were served a delicious, farm fresh lunch on an empty porch (except for us and cats) which clearly could have held a bus load, but didn't for some reason.  The guide got to know us enough to know that we'd welcome the informality of this lunch spot which looked out on an ordinary vegetable garden.

Before lunch we watched demonstrations of weaving both wool and silk carpets.  I had no intention of buying a carpet, but we said yes to seeing some in a showroom and having a post lunch coffee.  It was fun to watch them roll them out and we learned more about the styles.  What I didn't know was that my husband had a 30th anniversary present in mind!  Frankly, I'm calling it his 75th birthday present instead but I love it, too.  He was convinced that most of the money went to the women doing the work, since it was a government run coop.  

Viking did give a little talk about rug buying and passed out a guide to their recommended shops in the Kusadasi port area -- places where you can trust your rug will arrive home on time, and where prices are reasonable if not fixed.  You do need to bargain some.  Our experience up to the moment we bought the rug had been so positive with our guide, Fatih, that we didn't worry that our shop wasn't on Viking's list -- it wasn't in the port, but out in the countryside.

I think however it's handled/presented it's pretty much all the same scenario/process. The guide delivers you to a sales opportunity for whoever is running the show. I've run into stories of people like you (small group, nice car, etc.) who were, contrary to their wishes, taken to one of these things and the guide only relented when they refused to get out of the car (and complained that they were not supporting the industry). Huge business and they (everybody involved) are very good at what they do.

Edited by duquephart
  • Like 1

I would further posit that these guides, regardless of how good/knowledgeable/personable they might be are basically no different than the shills in Istanbul - just a different act. I would not be surprised to learn that their kickback income far exceeded their guide income and is huge reason why they are a "guide" in the first place.

• Like 1

Duquephart, You sound very angry but I thought you bought a rug. Perhaps I am wrong.  If not  I wonder why, since each purchase obviously perpetuates what you see as a scam

A similar scenario on our first visit to Kusadasi 22 years ago. However I rather enjoyed the presentation.   I did not buy a rug.

I did buy some excellent ‘Ralph L ‘ sweaters in Kusadasi town which are still going strong.  

Ephesus itself is wonderful.  On another visit we enjoyed a private evening concert in the smaller Arena (Azamara Azamazing event).  Great memories.

Would also recommend a visit to a Turkish Bath. Hilarious and great fun.  

Sorry more questions! 

I read about the Galataport in Istanbul  can be big and confusing and some ppl said they got dropped off at somewhere far and its quite a walk.  My mother is abit on the less mobile side so I am wondering if any of you know some tip, like buzz word to tell the driver? ( i also heard taxi can be a pain in istanbul 😞 )

I am also curious how they handle crossing the customs, When I depart Kudasi and go to Rhode, do we have to cross the border control for Greece? or all thats taken care of when we board in Istanbul? (we are USA citizens, i heard Turkey recently no longer require US citizens to ge the E-Visa and Euro is postponing their version to 2025)

Its still 3 months out from my cruise, but I was going thru mytrip on vikings website, I have a hard time finding what time the ship leaves each port? would that info be updated later? or I am not looking at the right places?

thank you!

Will

btw, my parents and I are arriving Istanbul a week earlier to tour on our own so we need to figure out the boarding on our own. First time taking a cruise and definitely a bit more nervous since I am taking my parents, anybody has tips/pitfalls for boarding?

We were in Istanbul last January, and found our two cab drivers very personable and helpful.  The driver who took us from the hotel to the port stopped at the barricade where he was supposed to drop us and had a word with the security guards - in Turkish, of course, but I think the gist was "This old lady walks with a stick and will never make it all the way to the Viking check-in."  The guards asked to see my Viking boarding papers, then opened the barricade and let our taxi through to the check-in spot.  I can't say whether this is usual or not, but you could ask your driver if it's possible.

Galataport is certainly big, but it wasn't confusing.  Viking has a lot of signage and staff members along the route to keep you headed to the ship.  In fact, I found this to be the case at every port - they really don't want you to get lost and delay the ship! 

Ship staff take your passport when you board in Istanbul and return it after you cross into Greece.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Duquephart, You sound very angry but I thought you bought a rug. Perhaps I am wrong.  If not  I wonder why, since each purchase obviously perpetuates what you see as a scam

A similar scenario on our first visit to Kusadasi 22 years ago. However I rather enjoyed the presentation.   I did not buy a rug.

I did buy some excellent ‘Ralph L ‘ sweaters in Kusadasi town which are still going strong.  

Ephesus itself is wonderful.  On another visit we enjoyed a private evening concert in the smaller Arena (Azamara Azamazing event).  Great memories.

Would also recommend a visit to a Turkish Bath. Hilarious and great fun.  

Not angry. Did buy a rug. Got nothing to do with sweaters or concerts. Merely pointing out that the whole rug "demonstration/presentation" is a finely tuned and exquisitely choreographed production with many moving parts and, as I said, everybody involved is very good at what they do. How many tourists look back later on the whole deal and wonder: "How did that happen?"

Edited by duquephart
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

Not angry. Did buy a rug. Got nothing to do with sweaters or concerts. Merely pointing out that the whole rug "demonstration/presentation" is a finely tuned and exquisitely choreographed production with many moving parts and, as I said, everybody involved is very good at what they do. How many tourists look back later on the whole deal and wonder: "How did that happen?"

I didn't perceive any anger in your comments. Much like you said, tours and demonstrations that are more of a hook to spend money.

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

OK.  However you have made multiple posts on the subject which is obviously important to you.  My point was that the 'rug factory' scenario has been active for many many years. Salesmen trying to sell you something.  No one is forced to buy.  I guess it's very annoying if this portion of a shore excursion is not expected and did not form part of the Viking excursion description.  

Our private excursion many years ago did specify the visit.  

On cruises many other salesmen will try to sell you something you do not think you want,  including of course the cruise company.  

This thread is about the Ancient Mediterranean Treasures itinerary not Carpet Shops so I did mention sweaters.   Whilst walking in Kusadasi there are many salesmen trying to encourage you into their shops.   No matter where you live the salesman always has a cousin who lives nearby.  I enjoyed some banter with them and I did buy sweaters, t shirts and handbags. All excellent value after some bartering.  Some people are intimidated but again no one is forced to do anything.  I think it is part of the enjoyment - always a story to tell.

We have also had two Turkish Bath experiences - One in a hotel and one in an old bath house.  They were both good.  Seeing my friend being covered in bubbles then doused with an enormous bowl of water by a well built gentleman in a lovely marble bath house is something I will never forget.

However surely the main event is Ephesus.  Such a wonderful experience, especially The Terrace Houses.  An evening concert there while the sun was going down, watching a group of young Turkish musicians playing Mozart. Not to mention some wrestling and dancing.  Doesn't really get better than that.

Surely we all cruise for those experiences.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mike07 said:

I didn't perceive any anger in your comments. Much like you said, tours and demonstrations that are more of a hook to spend money.

It's like a "glass blowing demonstration" in Murano - an interesting yet perfunctory show of sorts. Then you must go through the sales area to exit the building. No going backwards. Same at some intl. airports where you must transit the duty free store to get from security to the gates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

OK.  However you have made multiple posts on the subject which is obviously important to you.  My point was that the 'rug factory' scenario has been active for many many years. Salesmen trying to sell you something.  No one is forced to buy.  I guess it's very annoying if this portion of a shore excursion is not expected and did not form part of the Viking excursion description.  

Our private excursion many years ago did specify the visit.  

On cruises many other salesmen will try to sell you something you do not think you want,  including of course the cruise company.  

This thread is about the Ancient Mediterranean Treasures itinerary not Carpet Shops so I did mention sweaters.   Whilst walking in Kusadasi there are many salesmen trying to encourage you into their shops.   No matter where you live the salesman always has a cousin who lives nearby.  I enjoyed some banter with them and I did buy sweaters, t shirts and handbags. All excellent value after some bartering.  Some people are intimidated but again no one is forced to do anything.  I think it is part of the enjoyment - always a story to tell.

We have also had two Turkish Bath experiences - One in a hotel and one in an old bath house.  They were both good.  Seeing my friend being covered in bubbles then doused with an enormous bowl of water by a well built gentleman in a lovely marble bath house is something I will never forget.

However surely the main event is Ephesus.  Such a wonderful experience, especially The Terrace Houses.  An evening concert there while the sun was going down, watching a group of young Turkish musicians playing Mozart. Not to mention some wrestling and dancing.  Doesn't really get better than that.

Surely we all cruise for those experiences.

Of course no one is forced to buy - that goes without saying. But there is no dispute that you are herded into something. You've been following a guide around for a period of time and now, in so doing, you find yourself is a sales presentation you had no idea was part of a tour. The "tour guides" are not just tour guides in that sense. That's the part I refer to as a "set-up" - and please note it was you, not I, who used the word "scam."

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Of course no one is forced to buy - that goes without saying. But there is no dispute that you are herded into something. You've been following a guide around for a period of time and now, in so doing, you find yourself is a sales presentation you had no idea was part of a tour. The "tour guides" are not just tour guides in that sense. That's the part I refer to as a "set-up" - and please note it was you, not I, who used the word "scam."

I've been on tours from at least Viking, HAL, Princess, and celebrity where this happens. There are probably some cruisers in the group that have no idea what's happening.

Only have bought one thing... Cigars in the DR because my friend's birthday was in two weeks. But, I felt like the prices they were asking... Just as much, if not more than America. The trucks they had were among the nicest vehicles I saw on the island.

Edited by Mike07

40 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I've been on tours from at least Viking, HAL, Princess, and celebrity where this happens. There are probably some cruisers in the group that have no idea what's happening.

Only have bought one thing... Cigars in the DR because my friend's birthday was in two weeks. But, I felt like the prices they were asking... Just as much, if not more than America. The trucks they had were among the nicest vehicles I saw on the island.

Indeed. The worst place to buy Murano glass (pricewise) is Murano.