Haven Questions

Cruiseguy14

I see folks posting about snacks being delivered daily.  I don't do sweets, or very much bread ( not gluten free, Keto).  I assume I can tell my cabin steward ( or concierge) to do a Keto friendly snack plate?  Although, being on vacation, I probably won't be tooo strict on the keto diet.  I can go back on when i get back home.

46 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I see folks posting about snacks being delivered daily.  I don't do sweets, or very much bread ( not gluten free, Keto).  I assume I can tell my cabin steward ( or concierge) to do a Keto friendly snack plate?  Although, being on vacation, I probably won't be tooo strict on the keto diet.  I can go back on when i get back home.

Yes, though you may need to specify what that means. Not everyone knows what "keto" entails. Want cheese and fruit? Nuts? a plate of bacon? You may not be able to get all of that as snacks, but you can certainly ask. We love getting a fruit, cracker and cheese tray for an afternoon snack. It is perfect to go with champagne or a glass of wine on the balcony.

51 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

If you are in a Haven Suite, tell your butler.  My wife and I were on Keto.  He accommodated us. I will give you some advice.  I told the Butler we wanted some nuts.  He brought raw peanuts.  Be as specific as you can and usually they will do well for you.

If you are not in a Haven Suite, the only other suite that brings snacks on the bigger ships is the Club Balcony Suites.  That is once or twice a week, not every day.  None of the other staterooms have snacks.

I hope that helps.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

19 hours ago, cruisin4familyfun said:

@cruiseny4life - During our getaway cruise in September 22', I remember being at the table next to you when your husband ordered the x+ amount shrimp (to see how many they would serve him) My hubby & I couldn't help but admire the delicious-looking plate of shrimp, and it made my husband request double shrimp cocktails instead of the regular portion. It's a delightful memory from our cruise🎉

WE REMEMBER YOU TOO!!! Haha that's amazing. Thank you! If you couldn't tell, I get so embarrassed when he orders his x amount of shrimp. It's ridiculous! But, as you saw, he enjoys them (and secretly, I think the attention). Right after he ordered the shrimp, our server went to Darius (the maitre d) and they had a minute-long discussion. Next, I saw Darius on the phone. I was so worried the general manager was going to come from on high and tell my husband he could not have his 13 shrimp cocktail. 

Oh, I miss that cruise with 35% capacity. And the crew from that specific sailing. They were truly delightful! And, of course those small moments you just reminded me of. 

Omg, thank you!!! 

19 hours ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

Thanks for the tips. It’s funny you mention the American diner embarkation day meal. I heard about it and planned to go against others advice. I figured it would be a nice , causal way to stay a vacation and would be a good place to start the trip with my 2 year old.  Also me and your husband seem to have similar appetites and food preferences. 

Of course! Food in the Haven is one of the small joys in my life. You'll enjoy it! I would recommend not getting the burger, though. It's not as good as what you can get in the Haven (just FYI, I'm not exactly a fan of NCL burgers, so take that statement for not a lot). 

16 hours ago, jlowe420 said:

My past few cruises on the Prima and upcoming on the Viva absolutely are at Ritz Carlton prices.

Hahaha ok, fair enough! If one wants to cruise on the new ships they do require you to purchase a new car. But the other ships! Not really, unless it's the Garden Villa (someday, oh someday) or sometimes the Deluxe Owner's Suite.

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Wonder if I can get biscuits and gravey in the haven.

Mmmmmmmmmygosh! That would be yummy. Us Central New Yorker's enjoy biscuits and gravy in the morning. Not so much grits and Velveeta (unless you're my family), but biscuits and gravy. Mmm! I don't get them nearly enough though. 

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Mmmmmmmmmygosh! That would be yummy. Us Central New Yorker's enjoy biscuits and gravy in the morning. Not so much grits and Velveeta (unless you're my family), but biscuits and gravy. Mmm! I don't get them nearly enough though. 

Grits and velveeta? No, just no.  I like the Walmart fiesta blend of Monterey Jack, cheddar, queso quesadilla, and asadero cheeses.  Plus some salt and black pepper.  Alternatively, you can do a small amount of the gravey like  you would put on the biscuits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:52 AM, Cruiseguy14 said:

Hello Everyone, 

I booked my first cruise out of the Haven for March of this year. It is a 10 day carribean cruise. I have several questions so bear with me. I have looked online/ talked to ncl staff but haven’t found satisfactory answers. 

1. what is the etiquette standards as far as dress and child expectations ? Are people expected to dress nicer in the haven restaurant than they would be in a regular MDR? My daughter is 3 years old and has trouble sitting down in the MDR. Is the haven restaurant child friendly ? 

2. Besides the obvious benefits of the haven (better room, food , getting on  and off ship) can  anyone let me know what are lesser known benefits that I should be aware of ? 

3 how can I best utilize my concierge/butler? From my understanding the concierge just makes your reservations, which I can do easily on the app so I don’t see much value. As far as the butler I know they can bring food/drink to your room but know little else what I can utilize them for. 

Thanks in advance. 

I always wear t-shirt and jeans.  My kids are well behaved and have good manners.  Child friendly all depenrs on what you mean by that term.  Can you let yoru kids run around and be a nusicence to others NO.  Can tehyt eat in the Havne erstaurant and enjoy a meal off of a kids menu, by all means.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gold Coin Man said:

I always wear t-shirt and jeans.  My kids are well behaved and have good manners.  Child friendly all depenrs on what you mean by that term.  Can you let yoru kids run around and be a nusicence to others NO.  Can tehyt eat in the Havne erstaurant and enjoy a meal off of a kids menu, by all means.

My daughter is 2 so while I do try my best to make sure she is not annoying to the people around me she does act like a 2 year old. For this reason I try my best not to bring her to places where there is a reasonable expectation that you wouldn’t encounter a 2 year old such as a movie theatre. The more I think about this the less I feel concerned however. As long as my daughter behaves within the confides of normal 2 year old behavior it’s not really my problem. If people knowingly book a room where NCL allows children then they shouldn’t have that expectation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

As long as my daughter behaves within the confides of normal 2 year old behavior it’s not really my problem.

As one parent that took their kids on many cruise when they were young, to another.  NCL is a Family Cruise Brand.  So much so that they always seem to have 3rd and 4th person free promotion.  That should tell you something right there.  This topic is one of those where the debate ranges from one extreme to another.  I am a Frequent Haven Guest and do many op-eds on the topic.

Here is my take simply for a perspective.  I would absolutely take my 2 year old to all my dinners.  Haven Restaurant, specialty Restaurants and so on. As a parent, if my child started to act up or do something that could make another guest uncomfortable (Toss food, start screaming or loud crying) I would take the child out until I could control the situation.  Something tells me because of your concern, this will not be your situation.  When I am a guest and you have a child, I am most likely to small and enjoy the child/families enjoyment of this lovely dining experience. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

My daughter is 2 so while I do try my best to make sure she is not annoying to the people around me she does act like a 2 year old. For this reason I try my best not to bring her to places where there is a reasonable expectation that you wouldn’t encounter a 2 year old such as a movie theatre. The more I think about this the less I feel concerned however. As long as my daughter behaves within the confides of normal 2 year old behavior it’s not really my problem. If people knowingly book a room where NCL allows children then they shouldn’t have that expectation. 

There are often times a lot of concerns voiced regarding children in the Haven. As @Sthrngary stated, NCL AND the Haven are inclusive of children. Doesn't matter the age. They can be there. Except part of the sundeck. 

Anyway, only once was I really disturbed by a child. It was the same child. Several nights. Apparently the family and us had the same dining schedule. The parents just refused to take this screaming child out of the restaurant (it was Getaway, so a very small Haven restaurant compared to others). This did impact the enjoyment of our meal. I also attribute it to parenting. Not the kid. If a child is going to scream (it was screaming) every night at dinner, then the parents aren't doing something right. Or, of course there could be a developmental issue and I'll give parents that grace. 

Let your kid act like a two year. I'm not overly fond of little, little kids, but I do know others enjoy seeing little ones learning the world around them. And, you're right. Haven guests should not have the expectation of no children. They can go on some other cruise line if they just cannot stand kids. 

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Grits and velveeta? No, just no.  I like the Walmart fiesta blend of Monterey Jack, cheddar, queso quesadilla, and asadero cheeses.  Plus some salt and black pepper.  Alternatively, you can do a small amount of the gravey like  you would put on the biscuits.

My Alabama/Georgia family would be highly suspect of your southern roots if they heard you saying you don't like Velveeta. 🙂 I have tried other cheese in grits to make them more "dignified," but the only cheese that makes them taste good is Velveeta. I do agree with salt and pepper! I'm thinking gravy could be a really great addition, as well! Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

My Alabama/Georgia family would be highly suspect of your southern roots if they heard you saying you don't like Velveeta. 🙂 I have tried other cheese in grits to make them more "dignified," but the only cheese that makes them taste good is Velveeta. I do agree with salt and pepper! I'm thinking gravy could be a really great addition, as well! Thanks for the tip!

DNA testing fully supports my southern roots through Al/GA on my mothers side and Tennessee on my fathers.  The only time Mom would use velveeta was when she wanted melted cheese.  BTW, gravy improves almost anything except most forms of alcohol.  Jagermeister is one exception.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Cruiseguy14 said:

Good post.

• Like 1

My son is now 22, but our first cruise was when he was 3.  He loved going to the MDR.  But there were a couple nights he just wasn't feeling it, so I took him to the buffet before our dinner and took him to the kids' club and he was happy with that.  It was a 12 night cruise and I think that only happened twice.  The servers doted on him and when he finished eating early (because his food was brought out earlier than ours), we would ask if he wanted to stay or go to the kids' club then (though sometimes he had to change out of formal clothes first).  Your child might surprise you.  This was the first time mine was in an environment like this and he mostly really enjoyed it - especially when the server would sprint to the table with his chocolate milk and straw every night after only having ordered it once!

Now I will say, we are those parents.  He was still taking naps at that age, so he did on cruises, too.  It was really the only way we could reasonably expect good behavior from him.  Gave hubby a good reason for a nap, too.

Edited by GORDONCHICK
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 8:32 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Hahaha ok, fair enough! If one wants to cruise on the new ships they do require you to purchase a new car. But the other ships! Not really, unless it's the Garden Villa (someday, oh someday) or sometimes the Deluxe Owner's Suite.

The haven elevators are to die for.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2023 at 4:43 PM, jlowe420 said:

My past few cruises on the Prima and upcoming on the Viva absolutely are at Ritz Carlton prices.

I was just gonna say, my Haven room even NOT on the Prima is comparable to the Ritz!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jlowe420 said:

The haven elevators are to die for.

really??? do tell. how are they different? We'll be in the Haven for the first time in March. We just cruised Celebrity in The Retreat, so it will be interesting to compare. 

57 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

really??? do tell. how are they different? We'll be in the Haven for the first time in March. We just cruised Celebrity in The Retreat, so it will be interesting to compare. 

Well on the older NCL ships there is no haven elevator and so you wait in the lobby like everyone else.  The elevators can be hit or miss depending on what is going on - sometimes you wait a long time and they show up full.  It's just part of the "charm" of cruising.

The haven elevators on the Prima and Viva are new.  They go to all the floors where haven rooms are and they go to all of the floors where stuff is that you'd want to go to.  The elevators are in the rear of the ship where all the haven rooms are, so you leave your room and walk down a short hall to the dedicated elevator bank.  That bank then takes you to any floor you want to go to, and you usually don't stop to pick others up.   On main floors you have to swipe your keycard to call the elevator and there is rarely too long of a wait.  I've just found it changes my patterns on the ship where I'm only going up and down in the rear.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jlowe420 said:

Well on the older NCL ships there is no haven elevator and so you wait in the lobby like everyone else.  The elevators can be hit or miss depending on what is going on - sometimes you wait a long time and they show up full.  It's just part of the "charm" of cruising.

The haven elevators on the Prima and Viva are new.  They go to all the floors where haven rooms are and they go to all of the floors where stuff is that you'd want to go to.  The elevators are in the rear of the ship where all the haven rooms are, so you leave your room and walk down a short hall to the dedicated elevator bank.  That bank then takes you to any floor you want to go to, and you usually don't stop to pick others up.   On main floors you have to swipe your keycard to call the elevator and there is rarely too long of a wait.  I've just found it changes my patterns on the ship where I'm only going up and down in the rear.  

Oh yes, I saw the special bank of elevators on the Prima when we cruised it in December. I thought you were saying there was something special going on INSIDE of the elevators, too!!!! I was like, what, are they gold plated??? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2