Pack Wine in Carryon or Checked Luggage ?

suzadoll

Which would be easier and less hassle, bringing wine on board without getting a couple of bottles confiscated, packing your wine in your carryon or packing it in your checked luggage? Would'nt the cruise line be more apt to check your carryon while going through security?

Thanks for everyones input in advance!

We were boarding the Zenith this last Feb. and the X-ray guy said something to another security guy that we had a bottle in our bag. Well, my husband pulled out a couple of minis that he had packed and showed them to the security guy(completely forgetting that he had 2 bottles of wine in there as well!) They waived us thru and didn't look in his bag but we came pretty close to being busted.

This was in Miami and the first time anyone said anything to us about bringing booze in our carryon. It looks like they're enforcing the rules a little more, so be prepared.

We just got off of the Zenith departing from Miami and our sailaway champagne was taken from us at port. We only like certain champagne that I couldn't purchase and have sent to the stateroom. I was dissapointed since this has turned into a cruise ritual for us. The Celebrity rep told me to ask at guest services to see if they couldn't send it down anyway. When we were settling in our room steward stopped by and I asked him about it. He implied that anything like that should be packed in your checked luggage and not carried on - but then you have the problem of breakage and will the luggage be deliverd in time. Hope this helps.

We were on the Mercury last November and brought 6 bottles of wine and had no problem at all. In every port my DH would buy a 6 pk of beer and again never had a problem.

On our cruise this May, we're going to get a case of wine and bring it on in Ft Lauderdale. It's a 19 day cruise so that should last me:rolleyes:

Karen

Did DH just walk through secrurity with a 6 pack of beer in a shopping bag or did he hide it in a carry on?

Thanks so much.

I have brought a sixpack (or the remains of one) or a couple of bottles of wine on board at ports in a shopping bag or my small back pack.

Wow, my husband likes to try all the exotic beers from the differant islands, so we will give it a try on our cruise on the Connie this April! Thanks for the replies!

I have not tried it in the Caribbean. South America mostly, and in some Baltic ports with a couple of bottles of local beer and liquer.

Wow, my husband likes to try all the exotic beers from the differant islands, so we will give it a try on our cruise on the Connie this April! Thanks for the replies!

Just in the bag that the store put it in. Never even got a second look. Since we're in port almost every other day a 6 pack works well.:D

Having actually just gone through this experience (we had a bottle confiscated from our carry-on), I'd suggest either packing it in your checked baggage (when we asked our cabin steward if there was any way to get the bottle back before the end of the cruise, he pointed out that many people just bring it aboard in their checked luggage), or if you'd rather carry them on, then (duh! - lesson learned) remove the lead foil tops from the bottles so they don't stand out in the x-ray!

These are great tips. I was a wine store last night and noticed the mini bottles of wine with screw off metal caps. Those would be great to have for the room, before dinner etc. They would be perfect. It is just a matter of getting them through the X Ray.

Archived