HAL Southbound Alaska Boarding Question

Good morning! I am looking for first-hand experience with boarding in Whittier, Alaska for a southbound cruise. The ship doesn't sail until 8 pm. Whittier is tiny compared to most other embarkation ports. If you board the ship at 1 pm, are you allowed to board, and then get off to explore the town? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Cruising with kiddos said:

Good morning! I am looking for first-hand experience with boarding in Whittier, Alaska for a southbound cruise. The ship doesn't sail until 8 pm. Whittier is tiny compared to most other embarkation ports. If you board the ship at 1 pm, are you allowed to board, and then get off to explore the town? Thanks in advance!

Yes! No problem.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FOPMan said:

There’s not exactly alot to “explore” in Whittier. Almost all the city’s residents living in a single building.

If timing permits, is is worth going on a wildlife cruise, As I remember, the dock is just a few feet down from the cruise ship. See https://phillipscruises.com

Would highly recommend this cruise! I was on a work trip in Alaska last summer and had some free time so took their 26 glacier cruise. I've been on 5 Alaska cruises and I would rate this little boat cruise the best trip to the glaciers I've ever had. We also saw tons of wildlife like eagles and seals. From their site, it seems like they've aligned their schedules with the ships so you can add it on before embarkation or debarkation. This is a must do, IMHO. 

• Like 1