Unlimited premium WiFi

doolfan

This is our first cruise and I’m confused about the WiFi. My daughter and I will be cruising on Viva next spring to the Mediterranean to celebrate her college graduation. Streaming is a must for her. She runs several social media accounts (communications major with an emphasis in social media marketing) so staying connected to her followers and providing content for them is VERY important to her!  Will unlimited premium WiFi do the job for this?  She will only have 1 device, her phone. Is there a difference between the unlimited premium WiFi package (which cost 299 each, so 600 for both of us) or the unlimited premium WiFi 1 device (which cost 399 each so 800 total)…It seems like they are both the same? Am I missing something??  

There is a difference. This webpage gives the differences. https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

I was on an NCL cruise in April this year and was able to buy Unlimited Internet for just 1 passenger in our cabin. It was fine for what I needed. Slow at times when you'd expect many ppl were on the service, otherwise, adequate speeds.  I suspect your daughter will need the Premium Unlimited Internet package, but that's just a guess.

My question is, I'm on another NCL cruise in November and when I went to buy the unlimited internet package, I no longer have the option to choose just 1 passenger. The $329 was added for both of us. My husband doesn't need or want internet... He loves to unhook. However, we have rent houses and must be able to communicate with our tenants in cases of emergencies. I do NOT want to pay $660 for Internet access!

Anyone know when and why this changed from being able to choose just 1 passenger?

1 hour ago, kismetique said:

Anyone know when and why this changed from being able to choose just 1 passenger?

Have you tried calling to ask them to add it for just one person? It should be possible. Very likely that the website is just buggy.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 1:02 PM, doolfan said:

This is our first cruise and I’m confused about the WiFi. My daughter and I will be cruising on Viva next spring to the Mediterranean to celebrate her college graduation. Streaming is a must for her. She runs several social media accounts (communications major with an emphasis in social media marketing) so staying connected to her followers and providing content for them is VERY important to her!  Will unlimited premium WiFi do the job for this?  She will only have 1 device, her phone. Is there a difference between the unlimited premium WiFi package (which cost 299 each, so 600 for both of us) or the unlimited premium WiFi 1 device (which cost 399 each so 800 total)…It seems like they are both the same? Am I missing something??  

First one account can be shared between multiple devices while onboard the ship. If your daughter will give you 30 minutes here and there, and you just read your email while on shore using cell service, you may be able to avoid the expense of a second account. We share one account across 5 devices (2 personal phones, 2 work phones, and 1 iPad) when we cruise. 

Second, this is satellite wifi shared with up to 4000 of your newest friends. Anything interactive will be very very very slow and uploading any videos will be painful. If it is just normal "surfing" where the ship's cache servers and preload pages, the experience is better. "Streaming" is a relative term, we facetime and wifi call on every cruise, and sometimes it is better than others. Setting expectations. 

Your "best" price is to upgrade your Free at Sea entitlement to a full unlimited service. You should not be paying the retail price for the package. 

• Like 1