Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

We stepped foot off the Star yesterday.  I read all of your posts and there were several times that we followed in your footsteps.  We had a marvelous time in Iceland, Norway and Scotland.  And I am pleased to report that someone must have listened to you regarding the food - or they had new staff come in since you left.  We found the dining room food to be good ie on par (for cruise food) in comparison to the other 6 lines we have sailed on. Cagney's and La Cucina were very good.  Not so in Moderna.  Buffet was very limited in selection compared to other lines.  Thanks for doing the hard part and making it better for us!  No cinnamon buns in Djupivogur as they did not make any that day.  What were they thinking?  The weather was good except for a bit in Bergen. And we saw Northern Lights on 5 different nights!  How lucky for us.  Met some great people and suggested they read your blog.  Thanks for helping us prepare for this wonderful trip.

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@KACTravels I have been thinking about you so much! That itinerary looks fabulous and I was just talking about it with a friend today.

Happy New Year to you and Bailey! Want to come on the Jewel April 29-May 13??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

@KACTravels I have been thinking about you so much! That itinerary looks fabulous and I was just talking about it with a friend today.

Hi @YVRteacher, we’ll be getting on the day you get back.  I’m sad we won’t be on the same sailing, but am hopeful you will be sharing your journey.  Is your Dad going with you on this B2B?

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Hi @YVRteacher, we’ll be getting on the day you get back.  I’m sad we won’t be on the same sailing, but am hopeful you will be sharing your journey.  Is your Dad going with you on this B2B?

We are getting on at the same time as you. I'm looking forward to reading another live review from @YVRteacher if she does one. Happy New Year everyone!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Happy New Year. We would have loved to, but have a Land Vacation to Cabo planned during that time. We made Diamond status and are upgrading (my upgrade) from Obstructed Oceanview to Balcony for Iceland and then again (Bailey’s upgrade) for New Zealand / Australia in 2025.  We are going to do a Seattle Alaska Roundtrip late in the season.  
Hope you are loving your new job. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Yes! Our birthdays are two days apart so this is our annual Alaskan birthday cruise.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, KACTravels said:

Happy New Year. We would have loved to, but have a Land Vacation to Cabo planned during that time. We made Diamond status and are upgrading (my upgrade) from Obstructed Oceanview to Balcony for Iceland and then again (Bailey’s upgrade) for New Zealand / Australia in 2025.  We are going to do a Seattle Alaska Roundtrip late in the season.  
Hope you are loving your new job. 

You have amazing travel adventures planned! When you go to Iceland, take a spare bag just for treats to bring home.

I am LOVING my new job. I have never loved a job as much as I love this one, and I’ve loved all the schools at which I’ve worked. 

How is the new grandbaby? 

Do you have my number? I know I have yours but I don’t know where it is in my phone. Can you send a What’s App message?

• Like 4

How is the new grandbaby? 

Do you have my number? I know I have yours but I don’t know where it is in my phone. Can you send a What’s App message?

We actually have 4 more Grands!  2 Bonus Grandkids that came with our middle daughter's wedding and 2 babies.  All are healthy and wonderful!  We have 9 now and another on the way!  

I thought I had your number too, but I can't find it either.  I don't us What's App...I have no idea how to connect privately because I know you don't do other social media either.  I'll try to figure out What's App,  

• Like 1

I am LOVING my new job. I have never loved a job as much as I love this one, and I’ve loved all the schools at which I’ve worked. 

So nice to see you back here again and with such great news about your new job. ❤️

Wish I could join you and your dad on the Jewel B2B. I truly loved my B2B on the Jewel last year thanks to your review.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

So nice to see you back here again and with such great news about your new job. ❤️

Wish I could join you and your dad on the Jewel B2B. I truly loved my B2B on the Jewel last year thanks to your review.

Thank you! Why not book it???

3 hours ago, KACTravels said:

We actually have 4 more Grands!  2 Bonus Grandkids that came with our middle daughter's wedding and 2 babies.  All are healthy and wonderful!  We have 9 now and another on the way!  

I thought I had your number too, but I can't find it either.  I don't us What's App...I have no idea how to connect privately because I know you don't do other social media either.  I'll try to figure out What's App,  

Are you on Instagram? I do IG but not FB.

So nice to see our favorite Vancouver librarian online. Life has been moving on rapidly for us, maybe too rapidly. Haven’t signed for an ALASKA B2b yet, going to wait last minute to make sure R is up to it. Probably going for the Van-Sew-Van route. Simple as possible, light luggage, direct flights is my goal. Anytime late April through May. Too many family events in June. Will book hotel in Van for early start. Mary Lou Libtrek.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Thank you! Why not book it???

I want to be home for Mother's Day weekend. If I can convince Mom to cruise in April then it is a possibility, but it is the slimmest of possibilities as she will be in Asia for most of March and April. Also, I am considering the Fire and Ice 4/22 sailing on the Spirit from Honolulu to Vancouver. Unfortunately, you will still be on the Jewel when the Spirit arrives Vancouver on 5/8.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I just booked the Ketchikan Bering Sea Crab Fishermen’s Tour for my dad’s birthday this year. That was such a highlight last year and my dad actually remembers it!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I want to be home for Mother's Day weekend. If I can convince Mom to cruise in April then it is a possibility, but it is the slimmest of possibilities as she will be in Asia for most of March and April. Also, I am considering the Fire and Ice 4/22 sailing on the Spirit from Honolulu to Vancouver. Unfortunately, you will still be on the Jewel when the Spirit arrives Vancouver on 5/8.

The Spirit itineraries are so great. It’s my dream to do that one day!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KACTravels said:

I have an account but don’t use it often. Happy to Private Message you through IG. Kellyanncooksey 

Hi Kelly. I can’t locate that handle on IG. Try mine:

yvonne_withawhy

You’ll be really grateful for the upgrade on the Iceland cruise. I had nights where it was so  beautiful I couldn’t even close the drapes. I just couldn’t bear to shut the scenery out! If you read my review you’ll know cake played an important role. I will happily pass on how to get to the good cake places. I also highly, highly recommend taking the free bus to the Secret Lagoon in Akureyri. That was magical!

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I just booked the Ketchikan Bering Sea Crab Fishermen’s Tour for my dad’s birthday this year. That was such a highlight last year and my dad actually remembers it!

Thank you for that recommendation. I could have sat and watched the eagles feeding all day long. What a great excursion. Remember to bundle up. You mentioned it felt cold on the boat so I wore an extra layer that day, and you were right.

bN75qOhc.thumb.jpeg.952df5551edb0ff91038ce3db7a1aa39.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

You’ll be really grateful for the upgrade on the Iceland cruise. I had nights where it was so  beautiful I couldn’t even close the drapes. I just couldn’t bear to shut the scenery out! If you read my review you’ll know cake played an important role. I will happily pass on how to get to the good cake places. I also highly, highly recommend taking the free bus to the Secret Lagoon in Akureyri. That was magical!

Hi! Glad you’re back on CC! Happy New Year to you and Dad. Glad to hear about your new job!

It’s the Forest Lagoon, not Secret. 

Guess what? A little while after you completed this review we went ahead and booked the Star 11 days Tromsø to Reykjavik this coming June! A friend of ours has also booked and we all 3 will be driving in rental cars in each port of call (except Hammerfast (a break day) and Longyearbyen) - to save $$$$ in excursions! My DH and I have driven in both Norway & Iceland several times so we’re good to go! 

I’ve been re-reading this review and making notes! Very informative! We’re staying in Tromsø 3 nights pre-cruise and in Reykjavik & South Iceland 3 days post-cruise.

Due to short time in Iceland we can only do one or the other of these two - Blue Lagoon or lava fields hike, so I asked our friend which he wants to go: Blue Lagoon or Forest Lagoon …. he chose the latter!

It’s our friend’s first time to Norway & Iceland! He is going to love driving there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

You have amazing travel adventures planned! When you go to Iceland, take a spare bag just for treats to bring home.

Too true! We’re flying out with 2 suitcases with one smaller case inside one. Love love the supermarkets in both Norway & Iceland!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Yes! Our birthdays are two days apart so this is our annual Alaskan birthday cruise.

If you are still going on your annual Alaskan birthday cruise next year 2025 please book the Jade that will be calling in Valdez … I will let you know of a private excursion that you cannot miss. It was one of our fave excursions. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I am a firm believer that when one door closes, another when opens.

I, too, am so happy to hear an update on your new job and your next adventure with your dad.   I look forward to reading all about it.  

Your Alaska reports are, in my opinion, the best.  They were so helpful on our first Alaska cruise this past September on the Jewel which we only booked based on your reports.  

Happy New Year to you and your dad!

• Like 1