Joy vs Breakaway

clp0930

I'm looking at 3 different Norwegian cruises for our first cruise as a family (went for Norwegian for the less structured environment).  We'll be traveling with two kids, both generally travel well having been on trips to Turkey, India, and Canada internationally as well as a lot of places in the US. 

The first option is the Norwegian Breakaway and it goes to Harvest Caye, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya (apologies if it's not the correct order). This appeals to me because I think the ports all sound very interesting.

The second option Norwegian Breakaway and it goes to Puerto Plata, St. Thomas, Tortola, and Great Stirrup Cay. This sounds like it could be really fun and beachy, still lots to do and explore but not as intense as option 1.

The third Option is the Norwegian Joy, it leaves from New York and spends 3 days in Bermuda. We could do 1 or 2 excursions and then spend our time exploring the island as a family. I've heard Bermuda is safe and fairly easy to navigate.

I'm struggling to make a decision guys, I started out looking at Carnival and then realized that wasn't a great fit and Royal Caribbean sounded nice but the kids club might be too structured for my 7yo who has high-functioning autism and a speech disorder (he won't need much assistance but also probably isn't going to have an in-depth conversation with strangers, may or may not want to participate in crafts). Hence we chose Norwegian.

1 hour ago, clp0930 said:

I'm looking at 3 different Norwegian cruises for our first cruise as a family (went for Norwegian for the less structured environment).  We'll be traveling with two kids, both generally travel well having been on trips to Turkey, India, and Canada internationally as well as a lot of places in the US. 

The first option is the Norwegian Breakaway and it goes to Harvest Caye, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya (apologies if it's not the correct order). This appeals to me because I think the ports all sound very interesting.

The second option Norwegian Breakaway and it goes to Puerto Plata, St. Thomas, Tortola, and Great Stirrup Cay. This sounds like it could be really fun and beachy, still lots to do and explore but not as intense as option 1.

The third Option is the Norwegian Joy, it leaves from New York and spends 3 days in Bermuda. We could do 1 or 2 excursions and then spend our time exploring the island as a family. I've heard Bermuda is safe and fairly easy to navigate.

I'm struggling to make a decision guys, I started out looking at Carnival and then realized that wasn't a great fit and Royal Caribbean sounded nice but the kids club might be too structured for my 7yo who has high-functioning autism and a speech disorder (he won't need much assistance but also probably isn't going to have an in-depth conversation with strangers, may or may not want to participate in crafts). Hence we chose Norwegian.

I'll be upfront and say I don't have kids. I have been the admin of a charter school (K-8) so know my way around how kids operate. And, I was a summer camp director for a few years. Anyway, now that my bona fides are out of the way...cuz, ya know, it doesn't actually matter...

I'd go with the third option. I've done the first option (minus Costa Maya and it was Joy, not Breakaway). It's fun. I really loved what we did. This is going to sound arrogant, trite, and of privilege, but Roatan is a very dirty island, especially near the port. Unless you take a NCL excursion, you'll have to deal with unpleasantness of hawkers trying to get you to take their excursion, cab, etc. We did this and were fine. And honestly, we'd do it again. We felt comfortable wandering around Coxen Hole (like the whole town), but we didn't travel with a child.

I do have to admit I really enjoy Great Stirrup Cay. If you're looking for a beach, that's the place to go! Harvest Caye is great too, especially the pool which Great Stirrup Cay doesn't have. I haven't been to the other places on option 2. 

We have been to Bermuda. We stayed over two nights and really enjoyed the flexibility of finding our way around the island, not having to stress about missing the boat (it was also our first cruise). We are a LGBT couple, but didn't have any issues in Bermuda. The people seemed welcoming. It's more the government policies that aren't, though I'm guessing y'all won't have this issue. 

Anyway, there is so much to do in Bermuda. And, some of that is close to the port. There's mini golf, shopping, a historical fort right next to where the ship docks. There's a free NCL ferry from Dockyard to St. George's which is a lovely UNESCO world heritage site. There are also ferries (like $5 each way) from Dockyard to Hamilton. You can grab a taxi, bus, excursion and see caves, aquariums, and of course, beaches! There's a relatively cheap shuttle bus (either through NCL or just hop on) from Dockyard to Horseshoe Beach. 

Wherever your plans go, have a wonderful time! I know many thousands of families have taken each of the itineraries you are looking at and had a lovely time. 

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'll be upfront and say I don't have kids. I have been the admin of a charter school (K-8) so know my way around how kids operate. And, I was a summer camp director for a few years. Anyway, now that my bona fides are out of the way...cuz, ya know, it doesn't actually matter...

I'd go with the third option. I've done the first option (minus Costa Maya and it was Joy, not Breakaway). It's fun. I really loved what we did. This is going to sound arrogant, trite, and of privilege, but Roatan is a very dirty island, especially near the port. Unless you take a NCL excursion, you'll have to deal with unpleasantness of hawkers trying to get you to take their excursion, cab, etc. We did this and were fine. And honestly, we'd do it again. We felt comfortable wandering around Coxen Hole (like the whole town), but we didn't travel with a child.

I do have to admit I really enjoy Great Stirrup Cay. If you're looking for a beach, that's the place to go! Harvest Caye is great too, especially the pool which Great Stirrup Cay doesn't have. I haven't been to the other places on option 2. 

We have been to Bermuda. We stayed over two nights and really enjoyed the flexibility of finding our way around the island, not having to stress about missing the boat (it was also our first cruise). We are a LGBT couple, but didn't have any issues in Bermuda. The people seemed welcoming. It's more the government policies that aren't, though I'm guessing y'all won't have this issue. 

Anyway, there is so much to do in Bermuda. And, some of that is close to the port. There's mini golf, shopping, a historical fort right next to where the ship docks. There's a free NCL ferry from Dockyard to St. George's which is a lovely UNESCO world heritage site. There are also ferries (like $5 each way) from Dockyard to Hamilton. You can grab a taxi, bus, excursion and see caves, aquariums, and of course, beaches! There's a relatively cheap shuttle bus (either through NCL or just hop on) from Dockyard to Horseshoe Beach. 

Wherever your plans go, have a wonderful time! I know many thousands of families have taken each of the itineraries you are looking at and had a lovely time. 

I actually wound up picking Bermuda, we sail June 2nd.

• Like 1

We have done option ONE too many time to count. While it is ok option TWO was my favorite of 25 carribean cruises. It was for my granddaughter graduation cruise.  While they went on different excursion than me all were wonderful . So different from the western carribean. Also with option TWO when you go to GSC your meals are provided.  A huge choice of food. Not sure about the drinks because I do not drink.  (Booze) if it didn’t involve flying to Miami from Louisiana we would only do that option. Loved StThomas. Took a wonderful excursion to StJohn. 

Even though you already made your decision, I want to pipe in and say I agree with @cruiseny4life and would definitely pick option three.   

While I enjoy the other two runs, the Bermuda run is absolutely my favorite.   It is a beautiful island and so much can be done with the overnights.   We find it so much more relaxing than stopping at different port each days.    

• Like 1