Puerto Quetzal: Things To Do NEAR The Cruise Port (Restaurants, Shopping, etc).

ajtraveler66

We are trying to decide what to do while at port in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala.  I have viewed a few Youtube videos of the port area, but it didn't look as though there were many (if any) restaurant/bar areas.  Perhaps there is more than the videos are showing. 

If there is not much at the port, we will likely do an excursion to either Antigua or Guatemala City.

Thanks.

There’s not much around the dock. Coming and going from the ship you walk through a large tented area where vendors are selling all sorts of local wares and souvenirs. Perhaps there was more going on that didn’t register with us, as we went to Antigua both times we called at Puerto Quetzal. I highly recommend doing so, even if there were/are some bars near the dock. It’s a scenic drive to Antigua, and Antigua is well worth seeing. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your input.  This truly helps.  We are a party of four, and this is what I'll be recommending (Antigua) as they rely on me to do the research (which I enjoy doing very much).

Knowing that the drive is a scenic one should help.  They are not too keen on long bus rides.  IMHO 90 minutes is not all that bad...especially if it's scenic (and I would also imagine a bit educational).

Again .....  Thanks.

....  What did you do in Antigua?  Did you do it "on your own" or did you go with a specific tour?

14 minutes ago, ajtraveler66 said:

What did you do in Antigua?  Did you do it "on your own" or did you go with a specific tour?

Yes, both times we did the “on your own” tour. I posted a detailed review of our first Panama Canal cruise (2017) with photos, at the link below. (Photobucket has since partially blocked the photos.) Starting at comment 50, I discuss our visit to Antigua.  When we returned in 2020, we had a wonderful lunch at a little local (not touristy) place recommended in this forum called Rincon Tipico. 

I’ll pull up that other thread for you. 

Since our first visit to Antigua, they’ve stopped bringing the big buses right into the historic center. You change to a smaller vehicle once you are very close. (That was 2020, pre-pandemic.  I can’t say for sure how it’s handled now.)

I hope this was helpful. If you have other questions, I’ll try to answer them. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the Bliss last February and did the Antigua in the clouds tour. Most tours stop at the Jade Museum and shop, then in the town square. Our tour also had a Zacapa rum tasting that was very interesting. 

On 7/23/2023 at 12:19 PM, Turtles06 said:

we went to Antigua both times we called at Puerto Quetzal. I highly recommend doing so, even if there were/are some bars near the dock. It’s a scenic drive to Antigua, and Antigua is well worth seeing. 

Thanks so much for this.  We are a party of four.  I've decided that if the other three don't want to go to Antigua, I'm going to go on my own without them!  L.O.L.!  But...I think I'm going to be able to persuade them.  Knowing that the scenery along the way (on the long bus ride) is nice will definitely help.  

I've read so many positive comments about Antigua.  It's a part of the world I'm looking forward to experiencing.

Edited by ajtraveler66