Does SUICA card make sense if already getting 3-day Subway Pass?

hubofhockey

What would my need be for a Suica card if we are getting the 72-hour subway pass in Tokyo?  We will be in Kyoto two nights, so maybe there is use for it there, but what are other uses for this card?  We will be on a 12-day cruise after Kyoto and maybe there is use but cruisers in ports.  Any advice is appreciated here.

Suica Card is accepted by most taxis, most vending machines, fast food restaurants, most buses, all convenience stores, ferries, and most JR Trains.

When you get the card (at nearly any JR or subway station) it can be printed with your name in English or Japanese. An interesting souvenir.

Any balance on the card can be refunded at a major train or subway station before you leave Japan.

If you choose to leave the balance on the card and return to Japan in 5 years, the balance will still be there.

• Like 1

I'm studying this also....

My understanding is that the Tokyo Subway pass can only be used on Tokyo Subways but the Suica card can be used on subways and JR trains (and more) all over Japan (so Kyoto and not just Tokyo).

But a Suica card is just a pre-paid debit card and thus you may spend more using it that way than if you bought a specific "pass"....based on what's on the plan for the day.

Our plan is to base in Yokohama and travel to Kyoto, Kanazawa, Tokyo etc and thus far I'm thinking we will buy the Japan Rail Pass and a Suica card and wear both of them out.  Use the Japan Rail pass for, obviously, JR trains and the Suica card for subways/buses or whatever transport vehicle I am on that is not JR. 

I welcome other folks feedback on the OP's question and my plan.......

On 7/24/2023 at 3:51 PM, FlaMariner said:

I'm studying this also....

My understanding is that the Tokyo Subway pass can only be used on Tokyo Subways but the Suica card can be used on subways and JR trains (and more) all over Japan (so Kyoto and not just Tokyo).

But a Suica card is just a pre-paid debit card and thus you may spend more using it that way than if you bought a specific "pass"....based on what's on the plan for the day.

Our plan is to base in Yokohama and travel to Kyoto, Kanazawa, Tokyo etc and thus far I'm thinking we will buy the Japan Rail Pass and a Suica card and wear both of them out.  Use the Japan Rail pass for, obviously, JR trains and the Suica card for subways/buses or whatever transport vehicle I am on that is not JR. 

I welcome other folks feedback on the OP's question and my plan.......

I'm following Bruce Muzz' advice on this one.  The Suica is low risk and we'll use it in Kyoto and then during the cruise.  We'll find plenty of use in ports and even fast food in Tokyo.  

We absolutely need the 72-hour subway pass in Tokyo and you can probably just get away with using the Suica.  We wanted to spend our full four nights and three days in Tokyo, so that subway pass will get hit several times a day.  If you're in Yokohama at nights and dinner, probably your need is much less.

The 72 hour subway pass gets spend per day down to a very reasonable level for break even IMO.  Combining it with a Suica (specifically discussing transport) can be handy in Tokyo depending on one's plans because of the JR train usage and the extended range.  Ie. Trips to the "burbs" or common daytrip destinations.  Also, there's a potentially handy JR Yamanote Line (can also be used with the JR pass) which is a circle line around Tokyo that, depending on your journey, could be quicker and/or have more convenient station locations.  (Eg. We usually take a walk down Takeshita Street and Harajuku JR Station is more convenient than the closest metro station.)  And it's kind of nice travelling above ground.

On 7/24/2023 at 2:32 AM, BruceMuzz said:

When you get the card (at nearly any JR or subway station) it can be printed with your name in English or Japanese.

Thoughts on getting the "Welcome Suica Card" vs the regular Suica card? ..... Looks like it requires no deposit but you forfeit whatever is left when you leave Japan. 

https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/en/welcomesuica/welcomesuica.html

After living in Japan for 30+ years, I have never heard of the Welcome version of th ecard.

For the regular Suica, the deposit is very small.

Makes sense to just get the regular card.

There are far too many opportunities to use it.

You will not lose anything with it.

Worst case - gift it to a friend visiting Japan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

After living in Japan for 30+ years, I have never heard of the Welcome version of th ecard.

For the regular Suica, the deposit is very small.

Makes sense to just get the regular card.

There are far too many opportunities to use it.

You will not lose anything with it.

Worst case - gift it to a friend visiting Japan.

makes sense.  Thanks,

meant to hit thanks and not laugh.