How to cancel?

def0715

On 7/24/2023 at 9:51 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Well, excuuuuse me !

I don't think the Steve Martin parody response is appropriate to the simple point def0715 was trying to make. You and I are of an age where we could approve of Martin's tag line from the 70s, but it can be viewed in a more negative light currently. JMHO 

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

I don't think the Steve Martin parody response is appropriate to the simple point def0715 was trying to make. You and I are of an age where we could approve of Martin's tag line from the 70s, but it can be viewed in a more negative light currently. JMHO 

Well, excuuuuuse me !

3 hours ago, JAGR said:

You and I are of an age where we could approve of Martin's tag line from the 70s, but it can be viewed in a more negative light currently. JMHO 

I thought that it was funny. I thought that assuming that the OP was a male was just a simple mistake. I thought that MOTS was actually on the OP's side and was pointing out that MSC phone reps might make things worse than losing the deposit. I thought that we could all have a good laugh at the ineptitude of the reps when it comes to this simple matter.........

.....but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

(John Belushi reference) 😄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I thought that it was funny. I thought that assuming that the OP was a male was just a simple mistake. I thought that MOTS was actually on the OP's side and was pointing out that MSC phone reps might make things worse than losing the deposit. I thought that we could all have a good laugh at the ineptitude of the reps when it comes to this simple matter.........

.....but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

(John Belushi reference) 😄

MOTS may well have been trying for humor, but as we all no, in this day and age humor is transitory.  When I read MOTS's comment and then saw def0715's response ("I hope that was a joke. I’ll go away now."), I think that a nerve may have been struck.  I suspect that her father may be closer in age to Morpheus and I (possibly you as well, given the Belushi reference), and so phrases from "back in the day" may likely be foreign to her. As such, I was trying to point out that the printed elongated "excuuuuuse me" likely has a different meaning to her, given the lack of context for her.  As an example, I asked my 35-year old daughter who John Belushi and Steve Martin were.  Her response was a blank. I then asked her what her reaction would be if someone IM'd her and wrote, "Well, excuuuuuse me," she said she would be angry. In my comment to MOTS, I merely tried to point that one may need to consider the context and impact of what is written.  After all, meaning lies in the receiver, not the sender of a message.  His flippant, "Well, excuuuuuse me" response indicates my effort was for naught.  I intended to alert, and apparently became a dreaded "interloper" to him.

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

That's your creativity??? Repetition?

"It is my peculiar happiness that I scarcely ever found a stranger whom I did not leave a friend; likewise I must add that I had not often a friend long without obliging him to become a stranger." Samuel Johnson

On 7/23/2023 at 7:21 PM, def0715 said:

When I booked I was under the impression I could change the sail date. Didn’t realize I must pay the amount in full and can’t apply deposit to a cheaper cabin category. That’s on me, but the rep didn’t help. He didn’t make that clear to me before I pounced. 

@def0715Yes, you CAN change the sail date up to 90 days IN ADVANCE.  No, you do not have to be paid in full to do so.  Yes, on your new sail date you CAN downgrade to a cheaper cabin category and your $400'ish deposit will be credited.  

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

I suspect that her father may be closer in age to Morpheus and I (possibly you as well, given the Belushi reference), and so phrases from "back in the day" may likely be foreign to her.

I mostly agree. The OP probably didn't get the comedic reference. When I read it, I actually pictured Steve and heard the voice in my head but that's just the movie/tv buff that I am. Does the OP watch "Only Murders in the Building"? Steve isn't the only former SNL actor on that show. Those early SNL episodes were way before my time but there have been so many stars that can trace back to SNL, I can go back and see what today's stars were like before they were stars. 

Maybe a simple emoji (or emoticon if you're old) at the end of the sentence would help in the future.

5 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just "Google"  "Excuuuse me". Kids Google everything else.

The OP joined CC 18 years ago. Unless she joined as a toddler, I wouldn't consider her to be a "kid". 😁

Edited by Two Wheels Only

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

As an example, I asked my 35-year old daughter

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

asked her what her reaction would be if someone IM'd her and wrote, "Well, excuuuuuse me," she said she would be angry.

It used to be that parents were the ones giving advice to children. Not the other way around.

24 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Maybe a simple emoji (or emoticon if you're old) at the end of the sentence would help in the future.

Trying to teach an 'old dog new tricks'. I just learned from experimentation " @morpheusofthesea". These emoji things are very hard to distinguish between. I need a magnifying glass to even try to tell what they mean. I am not 'hip', nor do I wish to appear so to teenyboppers.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It used to be that parents were the ones giving advice to children. Not the other way around.

Times change, sir!  Remember, the student can become the master.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

but as we all know

I find it refreshing that you found a typo on my part.  You are very much like me, it seems.  I can spot an error on the part of others easily, but have difficulty proofreading my own product.😉

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I mostly agree. The OP probably didn't get the comedic reference. When I read it, I actually pictured Steve and heard the voice in my head but that's just the movie/tv buff that I am. Does the OP watch "Only Murders in the Building"? Steve isn't the only former SNL actor on that show. Those early SNL episodes were way before my time but there have been so many stars that can trace back to SNL, I can go back and see what today's stars were like before they were stars. 

The OP joined CC 18 years ago. Unless she joined as a toddler, I wouldn't consider her to be a "kid". 😁

I'm reminded of Morpheus and me back in the day!

image.jpeg.6a23d24de93ffc53b8e0d4591c6ecf67.jpeg

https://giphy.com/gifs/snl-saturday-night-live-1970s-l2Sqh8HSEAKrv0V0c

Edited by JAGR

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

I can spot an error on the part of others easily, but have difficulty proofreading my own product.

"What is it called when you can't see your own faults?

It's a condition called anosognosia. This loosely means “lack of awareness or insight” in Greek. Anosognosia is a lack of ability to perceive the realities of one's own condition. It's a person's inability to accept that they have a condition that matches up with their symptoms or a formal diagnosis."

I shall return a quote you once made. "Oh would some power the giftie give us, to see ourselves as others see us " Robert Burns

Edited by morpheusofthesea
punctuation

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I'm still that "wild and crazy guy". But you turned into a real fuddy duddy.

You don't know me, sir.  I'd like to hear your DW's opinion of you being somewhat relaxed, let alone wild.  She must keep a tighter rein on you. I don't know if the Festrunks thought that craziness involved repeated inspection of gates and inner staircases in vigilant search for trespassers.  They didn't strike me as guardians of the sanctum.

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

I'd like to hear your DW's opinion of you

Heard the saying "opposites attract" ? I married 'Lady Prim and Proper'.

I am not looking for anyone. I just report the 'goings on'.  I  do not enjoy tripping over soiled food trays and empty beverage glasses. Standing in long lines in the hot Caribbean sun because some inconsiderate left a door unlocked or 'jimmied', or gave friends their wrist bands to gain access to "exclusive" areas that we payed for.  Then there are the 'uninvited' that take up residence in our reserved pergola and refuse to leave (no speak english) until they are forced out, then they know English four letter words with hardly an accent.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"What is it called when you can't see your own faults?

It's a condition called anosognosia. This loosely means “lack of awareness or insight” in Greek. Anosognosia is a lack of ability to perceive the realities of one's own condition. It's a person's inability to accept that they have a condition that matches up with their symptoms or a formal diagnosis."

I shall return a quote you once made. "Oh would some power the giftie give us, to see ourselves as others see us " Robert Burns

In honesty, I so see many of my faults.  This one I was referencing is a a tendency to easily spot typographical or wording errors by others, but not often my own. It is a disorder shared by both you and I, sir.  We are both wont to publicly reprimand each other for these mistakes, so I sincerely hope it is not the neurological condition of anosognosia.  Let's hope for our sakes it is less severe.  Perhaps, the behavior could more appropriately referred to as "projection" and the person who exhibits it may be called a "projector" or "blamer". This can be a defense mechanism that allows the person to avoid facing their own faults by projecting them onto others. It can be frustrating to deal with someone who behaves in this way, but it's important to remember that their behavior is not a reflection of your own faults.

For my part, as a sign of peace, I resolve going forward to avoid calling out any errors I may think I have spotted in your works.  It will avoid detracting from your work product, which I find overall to be replete with keen insights.  After all, it appears we are both more beholding to sufficient comments and criticisms we may receive from our "she how must be obeyed" beloveds. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

She “who “ must be . We both are thinking ahead of our typing. I find sudoku helps me.

Clumsy fingers on a small keyboard, combined with a a typo that passes spell check! 🫢