Tip or Not To Tip?

We went to the main dining room on the first night of the cruise but seems we will be dining the rest of the cruise at The Windjammer.

Is it still necessary to tip the head waiter, the assistant waiter and the maitrya d at the main dining room if we are not eating there?

Your quick responses will be greatly appreciated since we are in mid cruise!

Curious1

The short answer to your question is "YES". That assistant waiter will probably be serving you in some form or another when you are in the Windjammer for breakfast or lunch. There will be supervisory staff of the equivalent level of the dining room head waiter overseeing your service in the Windjammer etc. and unless you are intending to tip each and every one of those people at the time of service, not tipping through the customary channels means a diminution of the amounts that the service staff receive for the week you are sailing.

You'll get plenty of responses to your question, and there will be plenty of diversity, so just read them and then make your own decision. As for me, I was in a GS recently, and was traveling alone, and after a tragic personal loss, I was not in the mood to dine with people who would question why I was traveling alone. I just needed time to myself. I requested a small table when I booked, and also once onboard the ship, when I saw I was at a large table. The mai"tre d' was not able to accomodate my request, so I ate in Windjammer for breakfast, which I would always leave cash on the table, I had lunch at Johnny Rockets or the pizza place, and for dinner, I ordered room service, which I tipped the 2 women that brought my dinner each night. I did not feel it necessary to tip someone that I never saw in the main dining room, or a host that would not accomodate my request. So you must make the decision as to what will make you feel good at the end of the day.

Thank you all for your speedy answers as to tip or not tip if not dining in main dining room. As this is my first cruise I had no idea and came to you guys with the experience for some advice. Please don't give me any more advice as I feel I've been beaten! I'll tip, I'll tip!!

Curious1

Curious 1, I hope you are having a great cruise! Please enjoy every remaining moment!

Michelle

Michelle,

Thank you for your kind words. I really am enjoying it tremendously but when do we actually get to sleep? There is too much to do.

Michelle,

Thank you for your kind words. I really am enjoying it tremendously but when do we actually get to sleep? There is too much to do.

Let's see . . . This is Wednesday... if you disembark on Saturday . . Saturday, yes, Saturday is when you get to sleep!

Michelle

I tip for good service.

If you're not getting service (which you're not if you're not there) you shouldn't tip for it. I believe you should adjust your tip based on the number of nights you're eating there. If you're there 2 out of 7 nights, tip 2/7 of the standard rate, adjusted for above or below average service.

We are not eating in the main dining room for a couple of reasons.

I don't feel the dining room food is any better than what is offered at the Windjammer plus you don't have to be at the Windjammer at any set time or worry if you are dressed properly. Who needs that kind of stress when you're on vacation?

Not only that, we were seated at a large, mostly empty table with 2 out of the six sitting there were children. I don't have a problem with children, I love them however, I don't want to be seated at the kiddie table! Let's just say I'm over "39" and would prefer people my own age. But I will say those 2 children were very well behaved.

Curious 1

We are not eating in the main dining room for a couple of reasons.

I don't feel the dining room food is any better than what is offered at the Windjammer plus you don't have to be at the Windjammer at any set time or worry if you are dressed properly. Who needs that kind of stress when you're on vacation?

Not only that, we were seated at a large, mostly empty table with 2 out of the six sitting there were children. I don't have a problem with children, I love them however, I don't want to be seated at the kiddie table! Let's just say I'm over "39" and would prefer people my own age. But I will say those 2 children were very well behaved.

Curious 1

That's unfortunate, just a couple thoughts: The head waiter may be able to move you to a more appropriate table, if you ask, and also, on formal nights, I've heard that the best entrees are not always available in the buffet... It may be worth asking about before you miss out on them.

Theron

Archived