Dover disembarkation

Charleyben

Assuming you are travelling to London there will be a multiple trains every hour from Dover Priory. They take various routings but the quickest ones are those that arrive at London St. Pancras. The only advantage of an advance booking is that you might obtain a lower fare. Otherwise the train service is very much turn-up and go. The following website will give you all of the details at https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Hope that helps.

12 hours ago, Charleyben said:

Thanks for that.  The advanced booking to where we are going is approx £100 cheaper than a standard off peak so it is a worthwhile saving.

Advance Bookings are really worth booking if you know that you will be definitely traveling on a specific day but make sure that the ticket can be used on different trains at varying times and not just one specific train.  It’s unlikely the ship will be late arriving and docking at Dover but you never know.

3 hours ago, Tallante said:

that the ticket can be used on different trains at varying times and not just one specific train

In the UK rail system, the ticket type called "advance" is valid ONLY on the exact train that you have booked.   Miss that train and your ticket has no value.

If you want flexibility, you need to buy the "off peak" ticket type.  The price of off peak tickets doesn't change, there is no price advantage in buying this before you get to the station.

An off peak ticket using the High Speed route to St Pancras is £51 (valid on trains that arrive into St Pancras at or after 1000) or £40 (valid on trains that leave Dover after 1000). 

If you use the slower route (to London Bridge or Victoria) the off peak fare is £39 (trains arriving at a central London station at or after 1000) or £29 (trains leaving Dover after 1000).

These are commuter routes - there are no seat reservations

7 minutes ago, Island2Dweller said:

In the UK rail system, the ticket type called "advance" is valid ONLY on the exact train that you have booked.   Miss that train and your ticket has no value.

If you want flexibility, you need to buy the "off peak" ticket type.  The price of off peak tickets doesn't change, there is no price advantage in buying this before you get to the station.

An off peak ticket using the High Speed route to St Pancras is £51 (valid on trains that arrive into St Pancras at or after 1000) or £40 (valid on trains that leave Dover after 1000). 

If you use the slower route (to London Bridge or Victoria) the off peak fare is £39 (trains arriving at a central London station at or after 1000) or £29 (trains leaving Dover after 1000).

These are commuter routes - there are no seat reservations

It’s obviously changed since I last bought an Advance Fare ticket in the UK. It is a few years ago though!  Good advice you’ve given for anybody not used to the UK rail system. Just be aware that there are proposed rail strikes in July and August.  

Just to add if you are travelling beyond London, it maybe worthwhile buying a split ticket i.e. Dover/London then London to destination. The savings can be considerable.

Thank you all for your replies.  I am fully aware of the pros ad cons of advance rail tickets and the various routes.  The ship is due in to Dover at 7.00am.  What I am trying to establish is when the disembarkation process begins.  I understand there may be delays but under normal circustances when am I likely to be able to get off the ship.

9 hours ago, Charleyben said:

Thank you all for your replies.  I am fully aware of the pros ad cons of advance rail tickets and the various routes.  The ship is due in to Dover at 7.00am.  What I am trying to establish is when the disembarkation process begins.  I understand there may be delays but under normal circustances when am I likely to be able to get off the ship.

I’ll probably be told I’m wrong but 08.30 seems to ring a bell. You have to wait until the luggage has been offloaded but if you want a really quick getaway, keep it with you the night before and take it when you disembark when the vessel has been cleared.  

1 hour ago, Charleyben said:

Thanks Tallante.  The ship is due to dock at 7.00am so that sounds about right. I have booked a train departing at 9.48am so, barring disasters, I should be OK. 

You should probably keep your luggage with you instead of setting it in the hallway the night before.  We were advised to do that as we left the ship as early as possible to go to the airport.