Denali Shuttles Good for a Group?

DarkOne

I have a group of 5 going to Denali pre cruise in July (on our own, not through the cruise company). We were originally planning on doing the full 13 hour $135 Backcountry tour. However, I've been researching, and am now thinking of using the shuttles instead. I don't think we're going to stop off and hike anywhere, but would like the lower price and greater freedom.

For any with Shuttle experience, do you think that would be feasible for 5 adults, or should we stick with the commissioned tour?

* If we get off and want to flag down another bus, do you think we'd have trouble getting seats for 5 people?

* Do the shuttles really run every hour or so?

* Would choosing that over a "real" tour give us the same Denali experience?

* Does anyone know how much lunch at Kantishna costs? :)

Thanks for the help!

Steve in Philly

Coral Princess - July 24 '06

Steve

It looks like the lunch costs about $90 (135-45) more than the shuttle bus!!! If you have done any reading on this board or any searches, you will see that all of the buses are the same, and main difference is how far into park they go. Tundra wilderness tour goes to Toklat River, mile 53 for $90, while shuttles go to either Toklat, Fishcreek at mile 66, or Wonder Lake at mile 85. Getting 5 on a shuttle with advance reserv should not be problem. I think in July, the shuttles run every half hour or 15 minutes, depending on which location they are going to. Getting 5 back on a shuttle in July may be more of a problem but since we have never gotten off, I can't answer. When we have gone three times in late May-early June or late Aug, we have had people get on and off the bus and both were only about half full when we began.

Not sure what you mean by real tour??? They go on same road, both have knowledgable drivers, and only difference is lunch and not much extra time for trip that takes over 11 hrs on bus w/o counting lunch.

Absolutely your group would be an excellent choice for the shuttle buses. Plenty of small groups ride. But I do suggest you be in line at least 30 min. early to be first on the bus and have your seats together if a priority?

Buses run at least 1/hour more peak season. Schedules http://www.nps.gov/dena

Archived