San Pedro hotel question

Mrgoodbar

12 hours ago, Mrgoodbar said:

Hi!  Does anyone know if they are planning to renovate the Crown Plaza or the Doubletree or both in the near future?  

Thanks

i don't think anyone can answer that unless they work for either of those places.  Just call, ask for a manager, and ask your question.  how far into the future is "The future"?

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza but now stay at the Westin in Long Beach.  Really nice hotel, with an excellent restaurant and bar in the lobby and a little coffee place to grab something quick in the morning.

Rate is excellent for our cruise in December.

On 7/31/2023 at 6:22 PM, Sprocket said:

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza but now stay at the Westin in Long Beach.  Really nice hotel, with an excellent restaurant and bar in the lobby and a little coffee place to grab something quick in the morning.

Rate is excellent for our cruise in December.

I'm booked to stay at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro pre-cruise.  This will be my first time at this hotel and cruising out of Los Angeles.  May I ask why you chose to stay at the Westin in Long Beach instead of the Crowne Plaza for your December cruise?  

11 hours ago, laedw said:

I'm booked to stay at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro pre-cruise.  This will be my first time at this hotel and cruising out of Los Angeles.  May I ask why you chose to stay at the Westin in Long Beach instead of the Crowne Plaza for your December cruise?  

Crowne Plaza is convenient to the port and the Green Onion if you like Mexican food.  We were upgraded to a suite last time but it was desperately in need of a renovation, and since we didn’t book the breakfast option with the room it was nearly impossible to get a simple bagel and coffee in the morning.
We book a refundable rate and so far have saved about $70 on our room.  It is a bit further but worth it to us.  We enjoyed the lobby bar and dinner, grab and go coffee service in the morning next to it was efficient and all the staff were excellent.

My husband gets bad muscle cramps if he gets dehydrated and the check in staff promptly gave him some bottled water.

Also if you have some time much more to see and do in Long Beach.

• Thanks 1

Sailing from San Pedro in November and looking for a pre-cruise hotel.  Everyone talks about the Double Tree and Hyatt but recent reviews on CC parent Tripadvisor cite roach issues in each which freak us out.  Is there a good third choice nearby with shuttle to pier or might I be better off just staying at an airport hotel?

On 8/6/2023 at 11:04 AM, Baron Barracuda said:

Sailing from San Pedro in November and looking for a pre-cruise hotel.  Everyone talks about the Double Tree and Hyatt but recent reviews on CC parent Tripadvisor cite roach issues in each which freak us out.  Is there a good third choice nearby with shuttle to pier or might I be better off just staying at an airport hotel?

I don't know of any other options with a shuttle to the pier...the Best Western which would have been a less attractive choice anyway was converted to housing for homeless veterans...

On 8/6/2023 at 11:04 AM, Baron Barracuda said:

I just read the 20 most recent reviews on TripAdvisor for both the DoubleTree and Crowne Plaza. Only one review of the 20 for both hotels mentioned a roach and both reviews were from a person who joined in July 2023 and it was their only review. None of the other 19 reviews for each hotel mentioned a roach or any roached. I think if it were a real issue, a generalized issue, that more people would have mentioned it.

The Crowne Plaza got generally great reviews, the DoubleTree were so so. I still think either is fine, and no, there are no other hotels in San Pedro anyone would recommend and no hotels with shuttles.

If you stay in Downtown Long Beach you are looking at a 15-20 minute cab or Uber ride. I am not saying it's a bad idea, DTLB is nice with lots going on, but the hotels (the nice ones) are more expensive, plus the cost of the cab.

• Thanks 1

Hi Sprocket!  You mention that you have stayed at the Westin and have it booked again for Dec 2023 at a great rate.  We are taking a cruise on the Panorama Dec 2, staying at the Westin on Friday night.  I was lucky enough to book a while back at $197 for the night.  I checked today and the rate is at $440.  Now, that is a huge difference.  I am asking myself, did I get a great rate like you did OR not?  In your past experience, how did you get to the port in the morning?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lasvegascruising said:

Hi Sprocket!  You mention that you have stayed at the Westin and have it booked again for Dec 2023 at a great rate.  We are taking a cruise on the Panorama Dec 2, staying at the Westin on Friday night.  I was lucky enough to book a while back at $197 for the night.  I checked today and the rate is at $440.  Now, that is a huge difference.  I am asking myself, did I get a great rate like you did OR not?  In your past experience, how did you get to the port in the morning?

Wow that is a huge increase did you book directly with the hotel?  We are staying December 3rd and our rate is $154 it started well over $200. Being a senior doesn't hurt lol.   Too bad we'll miss you by one day!

Keep checking and rebook if it goes lower I still check every couple days. 

We Uber to and from whichever airport we are using and from the hotel.

Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lasvegascruising said:

Well, what a difference a day makes!!!  I am staying on a Friday night which now shows $444 per night and you are staying on Sunday night which now shows $153.  The same weekend!

Just like Vegas.... A Friday night/Saturday night room is $400. The same room Sunday-Thursday night is $150.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lasvegascruising said:

Well, what a difference a day makes!!!  I am staying on a Friday night which now shows $444 per night and you are staying on Sunday night which now shows $153.  The same weekend!

I checked the rate for Saturday night well over $800 I logged out and checked again very very happy I did not need a room for that night.

I book as early as possible to get it locked in, glad you got a good price too.

Edited by Sprocket