What to wear to Nova Scotia in June

Hi, my husband and I are going on the Carnival Victory 6/13 to Halifax from New York. Any suggestions on what to wear? Will it still be cool there and should we bring lots of pants? Or will it be warm and we should bring shorts?

Also, any suggestions for souvenir shopping in Halifax?

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!:)

Melady, we are on the same cruise as you. I plan on packing a bit of both just to be on the safe side. I believe this is one cruise I won't be sorry if I overpack for. We live in Wisconsin and we are use to the up and down weather in June here as well.

Maybe we'll see you on board the Victory. There is a roll call board in case you're interested, but there isn't much activity on there as of yet.

Hi, my husband and I are going on the Carnival Victory 6/13 to Halifax from New York. Any suggestions on what to wear? Will it still be cool there and should we bring lots of pants? Or will it be warm and we should bring shorts?

Also, any suggestions for souvenir shopping in Halifax?

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!:)

Hi Melady.......A warm 'Welcome' to you and your DH to Nova Scotia. We are having a very mild winter....very little snow so far this year. I would suggest for June that you may find it cool in the morning but by noon time you will be fine in shorts/capri. Just bring a sweatshirt for the morning and you should be fine. I see that the Victory's first visit to Halifax is on June 13th, is this when you will be here? I also sailed on the Victory last November.....you've have picked a wonderful ship and crew.

For souvenirs there is a lot of booth right inside of Pier 21. Many artisan (sp)....I have a friend that makes things from wood...Barry and Sandra...stop by and say hello.....there are many other things to buy. Here is a weblink for Pier 21 that you will find interesting http://www.pier21.ca/.

Best regards, Donna

Hi Melady.......A warm 'Welcome' to you and your DH to Nova Scotia. We are having a very mild winter....very little snow so far this year. I would suggest for June that you may find it cool in the morning but by noon time you will be fine in shorts/capri. Just bring a sweatshirt for the morning and you should be fine. I see that the Victory's first visit to Halifax is on June 13th, is this when you will be here? I also sailed on the Victory last November.....you've have picked a wonderful ship and crew.

For souvenirs there is a lot of booth right inside of Pier 21. Many artisan (sp)....I have a friend that makes things from wood...Barry and Sandra...stop by and say hello.....there are many other things to buy. Here is a weblink for Pier 21 that you will find interesting http://www.pier21.ca/.

Best regards, Donna

Melady...Here is another useful website http://www.portofhalifax.ca/AbsPage.aspx?id=1088&siteid=1&lang=1

click on 'Visiting Halifax'. And here is one for Halifax http://www.destinationhalifax.com/

My MIL is from there and took my son 2 years ago for a whole month and we also thought it would be cold but it was in the 80's the whole time he was there!!! They had to go buy him several pairs of shorts and short sleeve t-shirts bc it was so warm and all we really packed was jeans and long-sleeves??!! He did say it got chilly at night but the days were very warm!!!

Have fun!

We haven't really had much of a winter so far this year, so my guess is shorts would be fine...but you never know here! :) I'd say pack a little of everything.

Last week is was about 10 but today I think its down to -5 or so...its been quite unpredictable!!

Enjoy your trip!

When we sailed in 2004, our day in Saint John was cloudy and cool, but the next day in Halifax was sunny and warm. I'd be prepared for either, but probably a jacket/sweatshirt is sufficient for cool weather, along with a combo of shorts/slacks. (I packed slacks I could also wear in the dining room on casual evenings.)

Thanks so much for the information. I'll just pack of little of everything and a jacket and we should be fine!

Thank you also for the VERY HELPFUL links!

Take care everyone, and hope to see you onboard :) or on land in June!

Melady, I'm with you I will be packing a little bit of everything. Now I wonder how many swimsuits I should bring? Maybe only one just in case we get real lucky and it hits 70ish on the ship. :) Hope to run into you onboard the ship.

Melady, I'm with you I will be packing a little bit of everything. Now I wonder how many swimsuits I should bring? Maybe only one just in case we get real lucky and it hits 70ish on the ship. :) Hope to run into you onboard the ship.

On our sailing, they closed the magrodome over the aft pool so folks could swim at night and use the hot tubs. I didn't go, but my son loved it. The air temperature was warm, but the water was a bit cold.

• 3 years later...

Best regards, Donna

Hello Donna,

I just read your post from a few months back. How is the weather looking now for early June? My husband and 2 sons(11 & 13) and I are sailing on the Maasdam leaving out of Boston on May 30th - June 6 visiting Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottestown, Quebec and Montreal. We are really excited and eager to have a terrific time but I want to be prepared for the weather. Should we just bring long & short sleeve shirts and long pants and layer with jacket or sweater and carry raincoats? Or what do you sor anyone else who lives in that charming part of the world suggest that I pack? It's a bit harder packing for four so I want to bring as little as possible yet be prepared and appropriately dressed.

Thanks!

Kim

Hello Donna,

I just read your post from a few months back. How is the weather looking now for early June? My husband and 2 sons(11 & 13) and I are sailing on the Maasdam leaving out of Boston on May 30th - June 6 visiting Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottestown, Quebec and Montreal. We are really excited and eager to have a terrific time but I want to be prepared for the weather. Should we just bring long & short sleeve shirts and long pants and layer with jacket or sweater and carry raincoats? Or what do you sor anyone else who lives in that charming part of the world suggest that I pack? It's a bit harder packing for four so I want to bring as little as possible yet be prepared and appropriately dressed.

Thanks!

Kim

Hi Kim,

Weather in the Maritimes changes daily so it's difficult to predict what June will bring. This morning it was cool enough that my children went to school with light jackets and jeans but tomorrow it's supposed to be hot (28-32 degrees - I think that's 80's F?). I suggest shorts, capris, zip-off pants, jeans, light waterproof jackets, and a sweatshirt for any cool mornings/evenings. Montreal will be way hotter and Sydney a little cooler, typically. Sounds like a great itinerary! You can track local weather at www.theweathernetwork.com .

BTW, my parents have sailed a couple of times on the Maasdam, including this winter and love it - much better than most ships.

Hello Donna,

Thanks!

Kim

Just wanted to say that the post you replied to was from 3 years ago, not 3 months. :)

Anyway, I would plan to layer. It can be hot and it can be cool at this time if year. It will be cool out on the water though, especially at night. I would pack a couple pairs of shorts per person, hopefully that won't take up too much room in your luggage, and add a layer as needed.

Archived