Barcelona strict boarding times?

bigsky

Will be boarding Sunday in Barcelona for our cruise. Stuck with 1:00-1:30 boarding time. We always arrive around 10:30. I've read some don't bother looking and some places may be more strict about boarding times. Anyone recently board in Barcelona?

Thank you...

Which cruiseline?  We were on Royal Caribbean leaving Barcelona on July 3rd.  We had an 11:30 boarding time scheduled.  We left our hotel a bit early and got to the port at 10:30.  I knew this might not be a problem because we were staying in a suite and one of the perks is that you have wiggle room with your boarding time.  BUT that wiggle room is usually only 1/2 an hour.  There was maybe 1 other couple there when we arrived.  We showed them our boarding passes and were able to pass along our luggage and board the ship.  I have no idea how it went later in the day or if they would have given us a hard time if we weren't staying in that suite. If you're staying in a suite I'd say it's worth a shot trying to go early.  Otherwise I can't say.  

14 hours ago, wyattsaunt said:

If everyone felt so entitled to show up at 10:30 and expect to be allowed to board early, how would that make you feel?

Many do. 

Most passengers have travelled a long way to join the ship.  Some will be heading directly from airport, while others may have to check out of hotels around 10am.  Its not easy to hang around a city or airport with your luggage just to kill a few hours.  The cruise terminals at Barcelona are vast and can cope.

Nowadays we have done all the hard work for check in on line to suit the cruise line, so check in should be straighforward.

They manage to offload us all at the same time at disembarkation 🙂

• Like 3

ElmaLee, thanks for the clarifying information.  If coming directly from the airport, I can see why going directly to the port makes sense.  I suppose it is worth taking a chance and trying to get onboard directly. 

if coming from a hotel, most people leave their luggage there and do something else until their assigned time to board the ship.

As for the speed of disembarking vs embarkation, I have the utmost sympathy for the crew who must clean all those cabins and public spaces at lightening speed between the two.  

If all the new passengers show up at 10:30 a.m., I imagine it would be quite disruptive to the preparation of the ship for the new passengers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wyattsaunt said:

I’m not sure, but I believe Seabourn, the only line I’m familiar with, doesn’t allow boarding until noon or 12:30 p.m.  are you saying there are a lot of waiting areas at the port?

Yes

On 8/5/2023 at 4:21 PM, wyattsaunt said:

ElmaLee, thanks for the clarifying information.  If coming directly from the airport, I can see why going directly to the port makes sense.  I suppose it is worth taking a chance and trying to get onboard directly. 

if coming from a hotel, most people leave their luggage there and do something else until their assigned time to board the ship.

As for the speed of disembarking vs embarkation, I have the utmost sympathy for the crew who must clean all those cabins and public spaces at lightening speed between the two.  

If all the new passengers show up at 10:30 a.m., I imagine it would be quite disruptive to the preparation of the ship for the new passengers.

I don’t expect to get into my cabin early, or to access my luggage.  I just expect to get on the ship to enjoy the things I have paid for.  

Barcelona cruise terminals are massive and can easily cope with large numbers.  Check in should be straightforward; they have my photo, passport details, health info and credit card details already.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise.

Barcelona cruise port was the easiest of all ports to board. We ended up at the port around 11:30. We showed our doc's, they showed us where to go inside and went straight up to the counter.

We just wanted to get onboard finally and enjoy it! All that planning you do and you're finally onboard!

• Like 1