Rental car from San Pedro cruise port

bobolz

I’m curious if anyone has ever disembarked in San Pedro port and rented a car from rental agency in San Pedro to drive to LA and drop off at LAX ? Looks like enterprise has a location in SP, possibly Hertz. Just wondering if they offer pick up service at port OR has anyone taken Uber or taxi from port to SP agency, 

im wondering if it would be less crowded at rental agency in San Pedro vs taking Uber to LAX rental agency and picking up car there?  The opening hours for San Pedro agencies is 9 am , just wondering if a other cruisers would be considering this option to transfer back to LA. 

thanks in advance

11 hours ago, bobolz said:

I’m curious if anyone has ever disembarked in San Pedro port and rented a car from rental agency in San Pedro to drive to LA and drop off at LAX ? Looks like enterprise has a location in SP, possibly Hertz. Just wondering if they offer pick up service at port OR has anyone taken Uber or taxi from port to SP agency, 

im wondering if it would be less crowded at rental agency in San Pedro vs taking Uber to LAX rental agency and picking up car there?  The opening hours for San Pedro agencies is 9 am , just wondering if a other cruisers would be considering this option to transfer back to LA. 

thanks in advance

Why not call the company and ask if they pick up at the port ( or how from the Port of Los Angeles is the pick up facility), AND if there is an extra charge to drop off at LAX.?  Even though they say they have a facility in San Pedro, it might actually in Long Beach, or a bit closer to LAX.  

6 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Why not call the company and ask if they pick up at the port ( or how from the Port of Los Angeles is the pick up facility), AND if there is an extra charge to drop off at LAX.?  Even though they say they have a facility in San Pedro, it might actually in Long Beach, or a bit closer to LAX.  

Thanks, I did call and they double checked and they do have a location in San Pedro and that is the only place they will pick up and drop off passengers, not Long Beach. The price was very reasonable even to drop off at LAX location. I’m just waiting to see the confirmation as to what is included and what’s not. As well as make sure the addresses for pick up and drop off are accurate ( there was some validation required by agent I spoke to) . So if this works out I would definitely recommend Enterprise ( which seems to be the agency with best reviews in this area. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually going to be doing the opposite.  We fly into Los Angeles (LAX) on December 9th.  I'm going to pick up our rental car at Enterprise at the Airport and have it for two days.  My cruise is on Monday, December 11th and we'll drop it off at Enterprise by the cruise port in San Pedro.  I reserved a mini van for four of us through Costco travel.  It's going to cost us $362.

Unless things have changed, the Enterprise car rental outlet in San Pedro is physically in the Crowne Plaza hotel and the Hertz operation is literally across the street. Please make sure the Enterprise office is open on the day you plan to drop off, or make sure sure that if they are closed they allow unattended dropoffs. I seem to remember they and Hertz had somewhat limited hours when we used them a few years ago.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:06 AM, lx200gps said:

Unless things have changed, the Enterprise car rental outlet in San Pedro is physically in the Crowne Plaza hotel and the Hertz operation is literally across the street. Please make sure the Enterprise office is open on the day you plan to drop off, or make sure sure that if they are closed they allow unattended dropoffs. I seem to remember they and Hertz had somewhat limited hours when we used them a few years ago.

Thank you for this! I'm traveling with 3 kids and 2 need car seats so figuring out how to get to and from the airport was a challenge. We were planning a rental car from LAX since we'll be in town a few days early to visit family but the drop off seemed complicated.  Since we're staying in that hotel looks like it's super easy!

1 hour ago, Kesstral said:

Thank you for this! I'm traveling with 3 kids and 2 need car seats so figuring out how to get to and from the airport was a challenge. We were planning a rental car from LAX since we'll be in town a few days early to visit family but the drop off seemed complicated.  Since we're staying in that hotel looks like it's super easy!

Yup, it's dead easy alright, as long as the car rental office is open. Not only is the Enterprise office very conveniently in the Crowne Plaza, but the CP itself is a 15 minute walk to the ship though the hotel probably still have their shuttle on embarkation morning.  I guess you may not want to walk if you have three little ones to contend with ;o)

On 8/29/2023 at 9:50 AM, lx200gps said:

I guess you may not want to walk if you have three little ones to contend with ;o)

My kids will be 9, 5 and 5 (so not too little) so if there isn't a shuttle I suspect their little legs are going to get them to the self serve ice cream just fine 😉 

• Like 3

On 8/29/2023 at 8:20 AM, Kesstral said:

A car rental might be the simplest solution. Look at the Bubble Bum. Drop off is easy with Hertz or Enterprise.

Regardless of how you plan to get around, taxi, Uber or Shuttle van, your 5 year olds still need a car seat. Only on a full sized bus or train/subway are they exempt.

https://*****.com/bdf2rrjw

On 8/31/2023 at 11:21 AM, scottca075 said:

A car rental might be the simplest solution. Look at the Bubble Bum. Drop off is easy with Hertz or Enterprise.

Regardless of how you plan to get around, taxi, Uber or Shuttle van, your 5 year olds still need a car seat. Only on a full sized bus or train/subway are they exempt.

https://*****.com/bdf2rrjw

I booked the rental with car seats from LAX to San Pedro no problem.  Unfortunately can't seem to specifically request car seats when booking FROM San Pedro so we will probably have to do the cruise ship airport transfer tour.  My twins use heavy Diono car seats and we're not keen on lugging those onto the plane. 

17 hours ago, Kesstral said:

My twins use heavy Diono car seats and we're not keen on lugging those onto the plane. 

Which is why I said look at Bubble Bums. If you are in California for a few days before the cruise, the 5 years olds have to be in a booster seat. Anytime you drive anyplace, be a cab, Uber, friends car, etc, they have to be in a booster.

Black_8b887d2f-f525-4bb1-bbe8-b44bbb87c3

23 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Which is why I said look at Bubble Bums. If you are in California for a few days before the cruise, the 5 years olds have to be in a booster seat. Anytime you drive anyplace, be a cab, Uber, friends car, etc, they have to be in a booster.

Black_8b887d2f-f525-4bb1-bbe8-b44bbb87c3

My twins are under 40 pounds and I don't think they will grow that much between now and January (one is 31 lbs and the other is 35).

It turns out while Enterprise doesn't offer the option to pre-reserve car seats, Hertz right across the street does so I think we will book with them for the return.  Works out to almost $200 cheaper than the airport transfer tour for the whole family and we get almost 6 hours to drive around before we need to be at the airport.