Question for those of you who have taken trans-atlantic trips

twonpcb

We've been eyeing some of the good deals being offered for fall transatlantic trips - those between Europe and the Caribbean, not Europe to New York. For those of you who have taken such trips, what was the weather like for all those days at sea? In your estimation, is it warm enough to be outside, or does the Atlantic stay cold enough that you spent most of your time indoors? We're both sun worshipers, and usually pass the time on sea days be the pool with a good book.

Thanks,

Robert

Although I did a transatlantic from Southampton to New York, I give my opinion on this. We have done two of these, one in December 2003 and one this past January. The first on, it was extremely cold. For the most part, too cold to be outside for any length of time. This past January, we went quite far south, and it was shirt sleave weather. It all depends on the route the captain takes.

Hi Robert,

We have made the TA cruise a number of times, on both the southern and northern routes. These repositioning cruises usualy take place in April and September, but we have made the westbound route as late as November. You can check the weather for your European departure and your Caribbean destination to find a range of weather you will encounter.

We have taken the route from Barcelona to Tenerife, Madiera and St Thomas to Miami. Had very nice weather with possible the exception of the first couple of days. If you go through the Azores the weather there can be cold and damp in the later months. We have always had good weather as we sailed south of Gibralter and had pleasant weather in Tenerefe and Madiera and of course as you get into the Caribbean waters. For most of your trip the deck area will be sunny and warm, and the pool will become increasingly attractive as your trip progresses. Of course the possibility of tropical depressions could be present, but the Captain has a lot of latitude in choosing his course, and you will be unlikely to encounter any hurricane activity..

If you enjoy the laid back attitude during sea days, these cruises can be very rewarding.

Petert

Celebrity fall transatlantics have been sailing later and later. We have done 3 on the Millie - the first (2001) was in late Sept., the second (2003) was in late Oct., and the third (2005) was in late Nov. All were from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. The last one wasn't nearly as warm as the first one.

I have taken a transatlantic from Venice to New York and this was 30/8-16/9 Weather was warm and sunny all the way. A few windy days at sea but in a sheltered position we were sitting out every day.

I am on the Galaxy 5th May and hope for good weather as it is Galveston - Rome. The Med in May can be changeable but I am hoping for the best. I chose this as I am travelling alone and the single fare was very good. I see today that the inside cabins are all sold out but yesterday the price had gone up in any case.

If you like relaxation then T/A is great I just love all the sea days. This may be as a result of sailing from England to Australia and back in the 1960's. You will have a great cruise.

I have taken a transatlantic from Venice to New York and this was 30/8-16/9 Weather was warm and sunny all the way. A few windy days at sea but in a sheltered position we were sitting out every day.

I am on the Galaxy 5th May and hope for good weather as it is Galveston - Rome. The Med in May can be changeable but I am hoping for the best. I chose this as I am travelling alone and the single fare was very good. I see today that the inside cabins are all sold out but yesterday the price had gone up in any case.

If you like relaxation then T/A is great I just love all the sea days. This may be as a result of sailing from England to Australia and back in the 1960's. You will have a great cruise.

For the benefit of those of us in the Americas: 30/8 = August 30 & 16/9 = September 16. :D

(Sorry...couldn't resist!)

We sailed on Galaxy from Baltimore to Rome in May 2004 and loved it. The weather was fine all the way and very pleasant at our port stops - the Azores, Madiera, Gibralter, Villefranche. I think that returning from the Med to any Caribbean or Southern port should be okay; although no one can guarantee weather. You should keep in mind that late summer can bring those nasty tropical depressions known as hurricanes to the Caribbean and southern US area. Fortunately it is usually easy for any cruise ship to avoid these since we now have fairly good warnings [if we would pay attention to them]. The route west across the Atlantic is north of where these depressions originate, so the actual crossings should not be affected.

For the benefit of those of us in the Americas: 30/8 = August 30 & 16/9 = September 16. :D

(Sorry...couldn't resist!)

I do apologise I know this and how could I not after especially 9/11 but it does slip my mind becauses we of course in the UK do it as I have done the day first followed by the month.

SORRY I WILL TRY HARDER I do enjoy reading these posts.

Sue

We were on this year's Millie crossing with Hajekfam (Hi Karen:)) and we actually had to dodge two hurricanes, Delta and Epsilon. You'd think in late November/early December you'd be safe from them! We passed Delta as we were leaving Tenerife and it was on it's way there. We had a few rough and nasty days.

Karen - are you going again in '06? Finally get that back-to-back you've been angling for? It's even later this year, isn't it?

If you go Europe to the Caribbean I would still expect that the weather will be cooler, not necessarily as cool as going Europe to New York but days at sea can still be on the cooler side, although it really can vary month to month and year to year.

With that said, these cruises tend to get many seasoned cruisers who book them because it provides many sea days to take advantage of the ship. And while some days, activities on the outside decks are somehwhat limited the ships tend to offer a lot of indoor activities throughout each sea day. It is also a nice opportunity to catch up on reading, watching movies and just relaxing. And, hopefully, you'll get a break with the weather to get some time on deck as well.

Keith

I do apologise I know this and how could I not after especially 9/11 but it does slip my mind becauses we of course in the UK do it as I have done the day first followed by the month.

SORRY I WILL TRY HARDER I do enjoy reading these posts.

Sue

No apology needed Sue, I was just throwing in a little (half) witticism. ;)

Archived