Capetown to Australia?

Cbtours

Am considering doing this on our next trip to SA (my husband is ex pat) where we go regularly visiting family. Thinking it might be worth combining our love of cruising and ideally doing the return journey by cruise, though if it's not possible we could do the reverse route.

I have started researching but not sure if it would be part of a world cruise rather than repositioning etc. 

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am afraid this is not among the most frequented routes. I myself spent last European winter in South Africa and returned to Europe by cruise ship. I wasn’t impressed by the numbers of cruise that visited South Africa. NCL paid a short visit to South Africa and returned to Dubai. And regarding the 2022 / 23 season this was the ship sailing the closest to Australia I found. Obviously more cruise lines will return to South Africa next seasons. Cunard will sail next year with the Queen Mary 2 from Cape Town to Fremantle and Sydney and with Queen Victoria from Sydney to Cape Town. The latter does Oceania Nautica as well. In 2025 as far as within the databases yet Oceania Insignia will sail from South Africa to Fremantle, Costa Deliziosa and MS Zuiderdam both from Sydney to Cape Town. Queen Mary 2 and Deliziosa will call Melbourne as well, but I have no idea whether (dis)embarkation will be possible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, At7Seas said:

I am afraid this is not among the most frequented routes. I myself spent last European winter in South Africa and returned to Europe by cruise ship. I wasn’t impressed by the numbers of cruise that visited South Africa. NCL paid a short visit to South Africa and returned to Dubai. And regarding the 2022 / 23 season this was the ship sailing the closest to Australia I found. Obviously more cruise lines will return to South Africa next seasons. Cunard will sail next year with the Queen Mary 2 from Cape Town to Fremantle and Sydney and with Queen Victoria from Sydney to Cape Town. The latter does Oceania Nautica as well. In 2025 as far as within the databases yet Oceania Insignia will sail from South Africa to Fremantle, Costa Deliziosa and MS Zuiderdam both from Sydney to Cape Town. Queen Mary 2 and Deliziosa will call Melbourne as well, but I have no idea whether (dis)embarkation will be possible.

Thanks for this info. I did see Cunard we’re going Feb 24. I would be hoping for similar route/time frame 2025. We’re in Melbourne but happy to disembark anywhere in Australia and fly home from there. 

The 2025 circumvention of Cunard with Queen Ann won’t go to South Africa, but from Asia through the Suez Canal, Queen Victoria will explore South America, Queen Mary 2 cruises in the Caribbean and Queen Elizabeth remains in the Pacific Ocean. No Queen will visit South Africa that year.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2023 at 7:32 AM, Cbtours said:

Thanks for this info. I did see Cunard we’re going Feb 24. I would be hoping for similar route/time frame 2025. We’re in Melbourne but happy to disembark anywhere in Australia and fly home from there. 

If Cunard follows its recent pattern, there should be a ship going from South Africa to Australia again in 2026. Recently, the line has been offering that trip every other year. No guarantees, of course, as things can always change - but that has been the pattern.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Just reading this thread and interesting to see now, due to World circumstances, Cbtours - you may have multiple choices of itinerary's to South Africa, with the Suez so unsettled.

Just read QM2 will be going that way this year 🤔

Rose

IMG_0583.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Just reading this thread and interesting to see now, due to World circumstances, Cbtours - you may have multiple choices of itinerary's to South Africa, with the Suez so unsettled.

Just read QM2 will be going that way this year 🤔

Rose

IMG_0583.jpeg

Thats interesting. Will keep my eye on it for next year. I know it is leaving Capetown tomorrow cos I have friends on it.

I'll lock into Cunard site and keep a closer eye on it. And after ozkiwijj report im very keen to try Cunard 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2023 at 2:19 PM, Cbtours said:

Am considering doing this on our next trip to SA (my husband is ex pat) where we go regularly visiting family. Thinking it might be worth combining our love of cruising and ideally doing the return journey by cruise, though if it's not possible we could do the reverse route.

I have started researching but not sure if it would be part of a world cruise rather than repositioning etc. 

Any feedback would be appreciated.

This itinerary is a regular on Cunard world cruises.  I did it on Queen Elizabeth back in January 2016.  Cape Town to Fremantle was advertised at a bargain rate, including the flight to SA. It seemed to be the unwanted leg between two half-WC segments.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  Because of the number of sea days, QE allowed passengers to buy a bottle of spirits from the duty free shop to drink in their cabins.  We bought a slab of mixers in Port Elizabeth and brought it back on board.  Cunard still wanted full formal after 6pm, even on hot days.  The guest lecturer was able to give all ten lectures in his series about Concord.  

Edited by Port Power
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

This itinerary is a regular on Cunard world cruises.  I did it on Queen Elizabeth back in January 2016.  Cape Town to Fremantle was advertised at a bargain rate, including the flight to SA. It seemed to be the unwanted leg between two half-WC segments.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  Because of the number of sea days, QE allowed passengers to buy a bottle of spirits from the duty free shop to drink in their cabins.  We bought a slab of mixers in Port Elizabeth and brought it back on board.  Cunard still wanted full formal after 6pm, even on hot days.  The guest lecturer was able to give all ten lectures in his series about Concord.  

Cu and just did it this February capetown yo Sydney but not next year (we’re going to SA at Christmas). We’re watching out very closely as changes to itineraries might happen because of Red Sea troubles I believe.

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

The Cunard itineraries are out for 2026. Queen Anne will be doing that route.  

Will be following up 😁

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Will be following up 😁

Checking the itinerary it looks like capetown to Southhampton. I will look into the journey  Fremantle to capetown prior to that. Main preference was to visit family in Capetown and cruise home. Thanks for the info at least gives me itinerary to search our options 👍

• Like 1