Quebec City: Best Tips, Loves, Memories??

TLCOhio

Just went to QC on a land vacation and wanted to share some delicious restaurant recommendations.  The most amazing croissants at Pâtisserie Chouquette.  Phenomenal dinner at Bistro St. Malo (add the fois gras to the French Onion Soup - amazing!) and Chez Boulay.  And the worse meal of our lives at Albacore - terrible food, rude service and pricey.  Avoid at all costs.  

17 hours ago, SuzCruise said:

Just went to QC on a land vacation and wanted to share some delicious restaurant recommendations.  The most amazing croissants at Pâtisserie Chouquette.  Phenomenal dinner at Bistro St. Malo (add the fois gras to the French Onion Soup - amazing!) and Chez Boulay.  And the worse meal of our lives at Albacore - terrible food, rude service and pricey.  Avoid at all costs.  

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups.  Excellent above as to your "dining successes" found in Quebec City.  No surprise.  Lots of great options to enjoy there in this historic location.  But, a few to avoid??  

Keep it coming with these nice sharings.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

On 8/15/2023 at 10:44 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Definitely stay in the old city -  Hotel Ste. Anne, on rue Ste. Anne is a lovely, reasonably priced place.  A lot of folks think about staying at Chateau Frontenac- which I think is a mistake - it’s fairly pricey, and it’d just about the one spot from which you cannot see one of the most attractive sights: the Chateau itself.

Try maple pie for dessert some evening - but I do not recommend the Quebec national dish: Poutine, which is pure stodge - thick gravy poured over French fries covered with cheese curds (yuck!).

Is there a specific restaurant where you can order the maple pie?  I am crazy for any maple dessert.  Thanks

7 hours ago, Derbie said:

Is there a specific restaurant where you can order the maple pie?  I am crazy for any maple dessert.  Thanks

Appreciate this great question and follow-up.  At the La Buche, the French-Canadian charming dining spot at 49, Saint-Louis St, that I mentioned and pictured earlier, I went back and checked. 

Yes, I went back and checked sweets menu.  I found:  SUCRE À CRÈME, Maple Fudge and TARTE AU SIROP D'ÉRABLE, Maple Syrup Pie. Would either of those work to feed your . . . maple needs?   Really loved this dining locations' food quality and amazing atmosphere/style.  

At the D'Orsay Restaurant that we also enjoyed, their web menu shows that they offer:

image.png.8ff303134e338fcfccfad011957f6598.png

If these two locations offer it, my guess is that lots of other good places will have that option.  Good luck exploring and tasting.  

India to Singapore 2024:  Live/Blog over 22,150+ views with many visuals, including for “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate this great question and follow-up.  At the La Buche, the French-Canadian charming dining spot at 49, Saint-Louis St, that I mentioned and pictured earlier, I went back and checked. 

Yes, I went back and checked sweets menu.  I found:  SUCRE À CRÈME, Maple Fudge and TARTE AU SIROP D'ÉRABLE, Maple Syrup Pie. Would either of those work to feed your . . . maple needs?   Really loved this dining locations' food quality and amazing atmosphere/style.  

At the D'Orsay Restaurant that we also enjoyed, their web menu shows that they offer:

image.png.8ff303134e338fcfccfad011957f6598.png

If these two locations offer it, my guess is that lots of other good places will have that option.  Good luck exploring and tasting.  

India to Singapore 2024:  Live/Blog over 22,150+ views with many visuals, including for “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

Many thanks, good sir!  I will think your kind recommendations, if I make it to this restaurant.