Best way to book?

emdia43

It is against the guidelines of this board to mention or discuss TA's... so we can't really help you with specifics... sorry :(

Also, you should check and make sure they are including everything... Carnival has regulations in place that no TA is to advertise lower pricing than Carnival's advertised pricing, so they could be leaving something out in their advertised price like port charges or taxes.

I see Priceline and AAA mentioned all the time,hotels recommended or not- Isn't that the same thing? I'm not asking for any official endorsement,just opinions of the people on this site who have used them.:)

I spoke with my PVP as I had found a lower fare with a competitor and she looked it up and told me that the advertised fare I was looking at was considered an oceanview but it really was 2 port holes on one of the lower decks with no upgrades. Just thought I let you know to be careful with what you think you are purchasing.

I see Priceline and AAA mentioned all the time,hotels recommended or not- Isn't that the same thing? I'm not asking for any official endorsement,just opinions of the people on this site who have used them.:)

Read the guidelines and you will get a better idea... there is also an announcement made by Laura at the top of the boards in the blue section. A hotel is not a TA, nor is AAA (if you book a cruise through them, I am pretty sure you can't discuss it here... I am not familiar with Priceline selling cruises, but if they do, you can't discuss them here)... bottom line, it is against the guidelines as the company you named is a TA... sorry :(

This is for an inside cabin and the price is better. Believe me I am looking for the catch and so far I haven't found it. I asked several times once given the final price if there were add'l charges of ANY kind and was told no- I would be billed for the amount discussed. I have booked online and with an agent at the cruiseline before but never with a third party and want to make sure...... the procedure seems the same- they will send a confirmation email then send cruise docs two weeks before departure. So far I don't see much difference than when I booked direct. Except for the price!:)

This is for an inside cabin and the price is better. Believe me I am looking for the catch and so far I haven't found it. I asked several times once given the final price if there were add'l charges of ANY kind and was told no- I would be billed for the amount discussed. I have booked online and with an agent at the cruiseline before but never with a third party and want to make sure...... the procedure seems the same- they will send a confirmation email then send cruise docs two weeks before departure. So far I don't see much difference than when I booked direct. Except for the price!:)

Find out if they are giving you any sort of residency rate, or sale price (there is a sale today)... have you actually called Carnival to find out the price and if there is any sort of promotion so you can be comparing apples to apples?? Highly doubtful that they are advertising a price lower than you can get through Carnival, I doubt they would take that risk... I would call Carnival and see what the price is and then see what the difference is...

o....z.com is one of the sites that shows resident discounts. I use them to check prices for our area. You entered your zip code right? Any travel agent or Carnival should give you the resident discount. It is a "look see" site for me but because they charge I think $19 per booking I wouldn't use them. I ask the travel agent to give me the same rate.

Yup- I called Carnival since their website has been down for maintenance all day, and quoted the prices I had found and the PVP I spoke to said they could not match them and she advised me to book with that company which I can't mention again. PVP told me that company buys blocks of rooms.........?

Orbitz will lie to you and will charge your CC higher amounts than quoted. The charges can be removed by your CC fraud dept but it is a hassle.

I don't have the link but a fellow CC member shared a news paper link that referenced a study showing Orbitz final prices were higher over 23% of the time than quoted prices. Orbitz is not to be trusted. After my experience with Orbitz, I wouldn't go on a cruise arranged by them even if it were free. :mad:

Opinions do vary and that's one of the reasons for the rule about not discussing specific TAs.

Orbitz true marketing slogon should be: Orbitz and Bend Over

Yup- I called Carnival since their website has been down for maintenance all day, and quoted the prices I had found and the PVP I spoke to said they could not match them and she advised me to book with that company which I can't mention again. PVP told me that company buys blocks of rooms.........?

Your PVP obviously doesn't know about the advertising rule. Perhaps the other company is booking you as part of a group without your knowledge.. I guess that is possible. I would tend to call someone else at Carnival and find out if there is a resident rate or if todays sale applied... something just doesn't sound right. I cannot STAND doing business with those large internet super travel centers... generally you are okay, but just wait until you have a problem or need something... Remember, cheaper doesn't equate to better. Something still sounds odd about this, But good luck in whatever you do!

Thanks for all your advice and that's precisely why I came to this site to find out.... believe me, when I get something that's a lot cheaper than everyone else's rate my antennae go up looking for the catch...I just couldn't find one.

I think I will call Carnival back anyway. I have the room on a courtesy hold for a day, but it won't hurt to keep checking.:)

Thanks to everyone on this site for your input.

I just called Carnival back and this time the price a different PVP gave me was only $50 difference from ****** so I booked with her.

This morning the PVP gave me a price that was $700 dollars higher for the same room than the online company ******* so of course I was interested.

It seems that the real price was quite close in fact ,so I won't take a chance on ruining my vacation experience for $50 where I might have for a $700 saving!! :)

I LOVE Cruise Critic.

Archived