Which NCL ships currently have reliable high speed internet?

pookel

we sailed on the Getaway last week, too. We both worked with a non-premium Internet package, and it was working well enough during all days, both at see and in ports. We didn't do video meetings, but I think it would have worked: audio worked very well.

• Like 1

If you need to do anything outside of non-VPN related emails or web surfing, don't rely on the ship's internet.  I've tried to get on video conferences while at sea and it just doesn't work.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 5:48 PM, alexsas said:

we sailed on the Getaway last week, too. We both worked with a non-premium Internet package, and it was working well enough during all days, both at see and in ports. We didn't do video meetings, but I think it would have worked: audio worked very well.

Same for me. Been on the Breakaway and currently I am on the Getaway. Starlink is installed on both of them and is pretty good. Not having any issues with the non-premium package. 

Met a couple who cruise full time last week and she works 8 hours a day online. It’s amazing what one can do now. My next cruise I will be working but don’t need a great connection since I will just occasionally backup my files which I can do in port worse case.

Long term I am thinking of maybe cruising for 3-4 months a year and I am probably 35 years from retirement. Might as well enjoy life and the flexibility technology gives us.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

First, you won't need Premium for Zoom, Teams, Meet, etc. The Premium isn't faster than Basic, but does unlock VPN ports (IPSec, L2TP) and streaming IP servers. I am able to connect to my private Wireguard server using Basic Internet through which you can stream. Send me a DM if you have questions about how to do this.

Regarding Starlink ... 

This thread may be getting a bit stale but a few quick updates from NCL management ... 

The Norwegian Joy will be upfit with Starlink during dry dock in early February. There will also be additional upgrades for the on-ship WiFi to improve coverage. I'll provide a status/speed test during the 13-Feb transatlantic. At the moment (pre-upgrade), it is bearable but that's partly due to good weather and low passenger capacity. I'm able to hold a Teams audio call and had a couple of Zoom video calls but latency is VERY high (600-1100ms) which makes for serious lag. Throughput is consistently <1Mbsp, with a few bursts higher.

The Norwegian Gem has "80%" of the Starlink equipment installed as of 2024-Jan. Didn't get any more detail than it's "nearly online."

We're sailing the Norwegian Dawn on its way to dry dock in mid-April, which presumably will include an upgrade to Starlink. We'll be on it again in September 2024 so I'll post a "before and after."

Our General Manager shared that "most" of the NCL fleet will be upgraded with Starlink by the end of 2024 and "all ships" by the end of 2025. Their feeling was that NCL may be one of the first lines to have the full fleet upgraded. Fingers crossed.

FWIW, we work virtual so cruising is just a different office window with incredible service staff and amenities at the office! Today I saw two pods of porpoise diving the waves while on a Teams call. How often does anyone see that?!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bottsjw said:

The Norwegian Joy will be upfit with Starlink during dry dock in early February. There will also be additional upgrades for the on-ship WiFi to improve coverage. I'll provide a status/speed test during the 13-Feb transatlantic. At the moment (pre-upgrade), it is bearable but that's partly due to good weather and low passenger capacity. I'm able to hold a Teams audio call and had a couple of Zoom video calls but latency is VERY high (600-1100ms) which makes for serious lag. Throughput is consistently <1Mbsp, with a few bursts higher.

I will be on the Joy for spring break.  I do a lot of web work and will need to have a day or work somewhere during the cruise.  I know of the dry dock upgrades, but haven't heard the Joy was getting starlink till here.  It makes sense.  I would love a DM when you find out whether it is up and running.

Thx in advance.