Panama Canal 2/26 Summit reflections

Sailingseas

I have been reading reviews and comments about Celebrity for a year now, and I realize, like much in life, each person has his/her own experience. We had an excellent cruise. What may be important to one may not be so for another. I am going to try to discuss some of the elements of "our" cruise.

Embarkation and Disembarkation: Both went very smoothly. We arrived at the pier at 2:00. We were given an approximate disembarkation time of 9:20 (we were using our own transportation to San Diego) and we left the ship with final greetings from the Happy, Happy crew member at 9:20.

Concierge Class: We loved our expanded breakfast menu--ate on our verandah most mornings, towels, fruit in room, hair dryer and canapes. The latter were meant to be just a little something to tide us over until the 5 courses at dinner. The pads on the verandah chairs were also wonderful as were the tender and disembarkation special treatment.

Entertainment: This was the best we had ever seen on a cruise. Unfortunately, the Celebrity singers and dancers finished their last show. However, I am sure that the next group will be as entertaining. We were awed by the sets, costumes, lighting and especially the outstanding orchestra. We are theater goers, so we are used to professional talent. A couple of acts were not fantastic, but, hey, to some I am sure they were also loved.

Food: We ate every lunch at the Aqua Spa Cafe. The variety, yet limited choices, of healthy food delighted us. Our dinners were somewhat disappointing, but even there, options were always available to fill up on. Celebrity really needs to revamp their fish preparation. I had one good fish entree: tilapia with a tropical salsa. The haddock was too dry to eat, not rescued by the anchovy based sauce, and the red snapper, while tasty, was impossible to cut, even with a knife. The lamb, as previously reported, was very good, as was the veal, all chicken choices and some of the beef. We went to the Normandy one night, but for us the quantity of food was overwhelming. Three couples ordered the rack of lamb, and all of us left the pastry part on our plate--did not think it a good accompaniment to the lamb. Dining in the Normandy is "an experience," and we enjoyed the experience more than the food itself. Goat cheese souffle, as billed was excellent. Most of us could have stopped eating with that course, so if you are an ambitious eater, then the Normandy is for you.

Service: Celebrity has some special touches which other cruise lines don't use, like the cold towels and water upon arriving back at the ship; a slideshow and harpist while awaiting the disembarkation talk; a call to each room from the front desk to see if all is well. However, we did think the efficiency and friendliness of the staff was duplicated on our Holland America cruise. One other difference, our assistant maitre di, Danuta, was unlike any other. She visited every one of her tables each night, and we all became quite fond of her sense of humor and concern. She won't be assistant for long.

Ports: The canal, of course was the highlight of the trip. Unfortunately, the only perfect view is while standing out in the over 90 degree sun and humidity which we cannot tolerate due to meds we take. We, therefore, made do with the Bar At the End of the Earth and our verandah. It was truly amazing, and Summit suffered some blue paint scrapes as a result of the tight fit.

Puntaranas: We ended up doing the Orchid Farm trip with the main purpose of seeing some of the countryside. It was a 4 hour trip as opposed to the many longer ones. The countryside part was very interesting, however, the two hours at the Orchid Farm was way too much information about orchids--almost like a college credit course in the hot sun.

Aculpulco: The city tour and cliff divers was very interesting and well done.

Cabo san Lucas: We took the Los Arcos tour on the catamarand. The young host on the ship was more interested in serving drinks and taking peoples' pictures in mariarchi hats than imparting information. You couldn't hear poor Jacques Cousteau in the background over Mr. Host. Fortunately for us we sat near the pilot, who gave us some good information. I would not recommend this trip there. Others were also disappointed with the Whale Watch--no whales. I guess it's the luck of the day.

As I said, this was a wonderful cruise for us. We loved the ship, and surprisingly after what we had read here, loved the esoteric art.

Thank you for your thoughts on Summit and the Panama Canal.

In answer to your question as to why there are no comments to this I guess part of it is that people mostly read only the first page of the Board. On a busy day threads tend to get bumped quickly to page 2 or 3 and then get lost in the activity.

As for me, personally, I tend to read reviews and reports for cruises I'm planning on taking, or thinking of for the future as well as for ships I've been on in the past to offer my perspective.

Right now we are looking at Bermuda and Canada/New England. Panama is not on our radar screen but perhaps one day when we have more time and resources.:)

Please don't be discouraged from posting and sharing here. The good thing about this Board is that there is something of interest for everyone.

Sailingseas,

I thought your review was good. My wife and I are sailing on the Summit in a couple of weeks and I have been reading all the reviews of that ship I can find. I found yours to be helpful. We are booked in Concierge Class. and it seems I learn something from every review.

Keep up the good work!

Dennis

Hi Sailingseas !

Thanks for the excellent review. I am happy to hear you had a great time.

Summit is one of my favorite ships in Celebrity's fleet. We have not been on her for over a year, and we miss her very much.

Hi Sailingseas; we did the Panama Canal cruise on the Summit just before yours. In fact we have done it twice and it was fantastic !! The ship is outstanding, as are the ports but most of all, we enjoy the sea days. They are blissfully relaxing and there are several of them. I agree with you entirely about the need for improvement in the fish dishes. I dont eat red meat and for the most part, the daily fish dinners were pretty dismal. On the upside, the shrimp cocktails were great. We had a great time and would highly recommend this cruise to everyone.

We were on the Galaxy just ahead of you into the Canal.

My email is tom dot treimel @ aig dot com.

Just translate the dots to . and cut the spaces and there you are.

Kick me back a mailing address and I will send you a picture or two from the Summitt in the canal.

Archived