Document Delivery

caltnl

Last year, when we sailed on the Veendam, we booked directly with HAL, as well. We are located here in the US. They sent them via FedEx, Airborne or one of the other overnight services. I don't remember which one, exactly.

My point is that they do it more or less the same way that they did for lindleyjulie in the UK.

Look for a FedEx, Airborne or UPS truck in your driveway.

Paul Noble

I am in Ireland but my cruise was booked in America (I am going with some of my American family). The travel agent said they will be sent after you complete your online immigration questionaire. Mine can't be sent to me directly since I am outside the US. They are going to my mother's work. They have to be signed for.

Is it possible that non-US residents have to be pre-screened before tickets are issued?

I know that the cruise line has to submit passenger info within 24 hours of sailing/ or before sailing to the Coast Guard? Homeland Security?, anyway to some US gov agency when sailing from a US port.

GN

Mine can't be sent to me directly since I am outside the US. They are going to my mother's work. They have to be signed for.

Our travel agent has had them shipped directly to Portugal. Maybe your agent just didn't want to be bothered—or was trying to save shipping costs. susana.

I filled out the Immigration form online and had a printed copy in my hand when checking in. I believe the cruise line (as well as airlines and trains) have to forward the required info to the US government but I am not sure what the timeline is. All I know is that when I boarded the Oosterdam in Vancouver last fall there were two check-in lines. One for those who had filled out the form online previously and those who had written everything down in pen and had to have the paperwork processed at the check-in desk. So, if you can fill out online please do so.

Each cruiseline I believe does there own thing. I am going on Cunard this year and they have no online forms. You actually have to fill out by hand and either mail or fax it to them prior to your cruise before they issue the tickets. Talk about archaic (especially for a so-called luxury line) but I think it was this that the agent on the posting above probably confused with HAL.

All in all not a big deal. You have to fill it out at some point to get into the US.

When they deliver anything, they usually ring the doorbell once. If no-one comes right away they leave the package and drive away, unless the item requires a signature. My cruise docs have never required a sig. except once when a TA sent them to my work address.

We rarely use our front door at home, except for guests or special occasions. Because there is a porch railing, I can't see the porch floor from the driveway at the side of the house. I have had telephone calls from my brother-in-law across the street telling me there was a box at my front door. I specify side door delivery, but it doesn't always happen.

Twice, I have found my docs. on the front door mat, both times wet from overnight rains. Now, when other folks on my cruise start doing the doc dance I check several times a day at all doors until mine show up.

. . . we downloaded all docs off the computer . . . QUOTE]

I wonder why HAL doesn't do this. Wouldn't it actually save them some really big bucks. Perhaps they think we'd be disappointed if we didn't get the leatherette document case. Or simply make it option for those who want the shore excursion booklet, etc. susana.

[quote name=trubey

I wonder why HAL doesn't do this. Wouldn't it actually save them some really big bucks. Perhaps they think we'd be disappointed if we didn't get the leatherette document case. Or simply make it option for those who want the shore excursion booklet' date=' etc. susana.[/quote]

imo it would save them $$$$$ and i think its just a matter of time til all the lines do it-----------------when i got my docs from my on line ta they were in a clear thru plastic folder similar to the one that hal sends but in plastic --- for the money i saved booking thru them they could have mailed me the docs in a plain brown wrapper and i would have been happy -- all i had to do was dig out an old hal folder and nobody knew the difference

. . . when i got my docs from my on line ta they were in a clear thru plastic folder similar to the one that hal sends but in plastic . . .

I also purchased my cruise from an on-line ta. However, my documents came in an official Holland America leatherette envelope. So it must be up to the individual ta. susana.

Julie & Paul.

Julie I am in Sunny Southern California 9 miles north of Disneyland. And it is supposed to be rainey this weekend.

Bill swap with you anyday always raining here:( , I have not filled my online form out yet and my docs have already been delivered, when we cruised with HAL last time we booked with an american TA they asked if I wanted pier pick up or there was a charge for mailing them I opted for pier pick up, blow me over they arrived a week later by fedex with no extra charge what was that all about? :confused:

I think they're "weaning" us in the direction of e-tickets. With the new system, we don't have to take the immigration form with us if we fill it out online. We used to have to still hand them a copy at check-in. What we have now is a priority boarding pass. Give them that, your I.D. and a credit card and you're off. It's probably just a matter of time before they phase out having to also take your paper docs. Those have to be costly to produce and mail. Without them, all they'd have to send you is the shore excursion booklet and transfer vouchers if you purchase them.

I also purchased my cruise from an on-line ta. However, my documents came in an official Holland America leatherette envelope. So it must be up to the individual ta. susana.

if i had to take uneducated guesses i think its that the plastic weighs less then the genuine imitation leather and they save a few cents in postage OR they dont want to pay the price for the leatherette folders that they get from hal

Thanks for the happy St. Patrick's Day wishes. We were off work yesterday but both hubby and I took extra days off because we have to use of holidays before the end of March. We don't go back until Tuesday...Happy days...

The TA definitely said that I had to complete it on line before the docs could be sent and they couldn't be sent outside the US. I hear what you are saying about the TA not wanting to be bothered or the cost. I would suspect that is the case because of all the hassle I have gotten about my Irish passport and the mixed messages I have gotten from Holland America here saying "why would you use an US passport on a EU cruise? Use the Irish one" and the TA saying "you have to use the US one". Plus the immigriation rules about dual nationality and my mother telling me "not to be ackward and she is paying" Urrgh. I am not confident about it or the TA at all because I know what is the right thing. I filled out the form using the US one but hopefully I can recitify it when I get to the ship.

Dear Princess (that's fun to write), I really know nothing about dual nationality and how that might affect your cruising documentation. However, I will repeat, documents can and are sent to Europe and filling in your on-line immigration form has absolutely nothing to do with the timing of getting your documents.

If your mother is in America, maybe she could/should call HAL and ask about the dual nationality issue. susana.

Cheers, Susana. I was a bit surprised when the said that they couldn't send the documents here. I reckon it does have something do with one of the issues you raised. My mother is going to send me copies when she gets them so it is all good. I am you could clear that up for our fellow Europeans. :)

As far as my passports go I am going to just give them the 2 when I get there. They can take whatever one they fancy. I have spoken to HAL in London they said the Irish one and the TA said she rang HAL in America and they said the US one. I do know that with dual nationality you have to use the EU one in the EU and the US one in North America everywhere you can use whatever one you want. As long as I get going I don't care what passport they use. lol Princess :) (My hubby and my mother in law say I am a bit of a Princess but in a nice way.)

We booked our last cruise with HAL and yes they did send the docs directly to us--Fedex or somesuch. We are in Canada. Also we havent been able to fill out the online immigration form--it doesnt make any difference--just print it out and fill it in ---it is no problem--getting aboard is always somewhat of a hassle--bring a book,a drink and some crackers and you will be quite content.

Archived