SHIP TOUR VERSAS LOCAL TOUR TO FAROE ISLANDS

jorfin

I just want to make people aware who are hoping to visit the FAROE ISLANDS. Chances are likely, because of the weather conditions, your ship will not dock at Torshavn, therefore I recommend that you book a ship tour rather than a local company such as HK BUSSAR. The cruise line will immediately give a refund for that canceled tour. This particular tour operator does not.

On 8/28/2023 at 3:39 PM, jorfin said:

I just want to make people aware who are hoping to visit the FAROE ISLANDS. Chances are likely, because of the weather conditions, your ship will not dock at Torshavn, therefore I recommend that you book a ship tour rather than a local company such as HK BUSSAR. The cruise line will immediately give a refund for that canceled tour. This particular tour operator does not.

I regret that you've obviously had a disappointing experience, but I might suggest the issue is not quite that black and white.

Any port can be lost for weather or other reasons. Oddly enough, we are 2 for 2 in making Torshavn, but 0 for 3 with respect to the Shetlands. So, we always consider contingencies.

Most reputable private tour operators will refund or not charge in the case of a missed port, so that would not drive us to only consider a ship tour. However, you must check up front. A tour operator who does not refund in the case of a miss is off our list of possibles immediately. HK Bussar: Forsíða obviously would not fit us - thanks for advising their policy. 🍺🥌

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, we had not considered that we might not dock, 🙄 and unfortunately chose HK BUSSAR TOUR COMPANY. You are also correct that other REPUTABLE companies, such as VIATOR will provide a refund. We should have done more research. 

Thanks again!

11 hours ago, jorfin said:

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, we had not considered that we might not dock, 🙄 and unfortunately chose HK BUSSAR TOUR COMPANY. You are also correct that other REPUTABLE companies, such as VIATOR will provide a refund. We should have done more research. 

Thanks again!

You're very welcome. I hope the lesson was not overly expensive - the greater loss was not seeing the Faroes, as they are spectacular. Keep trying if you can - it's worth it. Cheers ... 🍺🥌

Thank you again. Yes....it didn't help an already very disappointing situation. The Faroe  and Lofoten Islands were the primary reason for booking. We will try again hopefully but not by a cruise ship. CHEERS🍷

Thank you for posting.  We have an Insignia cruise from Reykjavik to Copenhagen booked for next year. I have just begun searching for the itinerary options.  Were you able to visit all of the ports?  

4 hours ago, jorfin said:

Thank you again. Yes....it didn't help an already very disappointing situation. The Faroe  and Lofoten Islands were the primary reason for booking. We will try again hopefully but not by a cruise ship. CHEERS🍷

One way of seeing the Faroes (& Eastern Iceland) at a reasonable price is via the Smyril Line ferry that leaves from Hirtshals (easily reached by train from Copenhagen) - the Norrona is the size of Marina/Riviera and has a wide selection of cabins & facilities.  Some of the dishes in Munkastova, the premium restaurant on board exceed anything on Oceania.  The ships excursions are well put together and make the most of the time in port.  I have been twice & the trip was magical on both occasions.  As well as being a very well appointed cruise ferry, the Norrona is designed to be the island's lifeline and sails regular as clockwork year round.

• Like 1