Where do I book and how? Hotels, Cars & parking OH MY!!

So here is our dilema, We are booked on the Oct. 21 CB and are driving down from Atlanta GA. Here are my questions?

1. Would it be better to rent a car and drive down to the port and drop car off so we are not paying for parking (which is how much per day if anyone knows), or should we drive our own car and then pay for parking?

2. Where is the best place to book a hotel? I have tried Expedia and they was $129.00 for an Amerisuites room that I see others for that time have booked for $75. If I booked through Priceline how would i know that I was getting something close to the pier and that they have shuttle service to the pier? Questions Questions Questions....

Please take into consideration that I am a complete newbie and I am sure that this information has been posted somewhere but it apparently escapes me as to how to find it. I know that I am annoying the CC gods somewhere..{slinking back under the rock I must have been living under...}

Thanks in advance!

Let's take it from the top. What is the CB. Where are you sailing from. How much would it cost for you to rent a car in Atlanta and drop it wherever you are sailing from. Then compare that cost to the wear and tear on your own car, the cost of parking, the convenience of not having to shuttle both ways, and whatever else you can think of. You can usually find the cost of parking by going to the Ports own website, but again we can't help with the information you have failed to provide.

Just for a moment, I'll assume that you are driving to Miami or Fort Lauderdale, so I can refer you to this thread which is right below your post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=276536

Let's take it from the top. What is the CB. Where are you sailing from. How much would it cost for you to rent a car in Atlanta and drop it wherever you are sailing from. Then compare that cost to the wear and tear on your own car, the cost of parking, the convenience of not having to shuttle both ways, and whatever else you can think of. You can usually find the cost of parking by going to the Ports own website, but again we can't help with the information you have failed to provide.

Just for a moment, I'll assume that you are driving to Miami or Fort Lauderdale, so I can refer you to this thread which is right below your post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=276536

1. The CB is what they call the Caribbean Princess on the Princess threads, I forgot that I posted here and it was an open forum.

2. I called this morning and the cost to rent a car one way was absurd, so we will be taking our own car.

3. We are leaving from Ft. Lauderdale.

4. Thank you for the thread posting.

The port has lots of info on its website - couldn't see parking prices, but you can always email or phone them. http://www.porteverglades.org/index.php

Go to "search" on this website (look up in top right area on page) in the hotels board and search for FLL hotels especially those on 17th street - TrentS always posts a huge list with links of all these hotels (look at all his posts for lots of info). 17th st is closest to the port. Sometimes the "search" function works better than other times - keep trying as many people have posted huge lists of hotels here and lots and lots of comments on specific hotels too. Read Read Read. Generally, the recommendation is to forget about the shuttles and just take a taxi, as its faster and relatively cheap anyways.

I use the various travel websites (plus this board) to get REVIEWS of the various hotels, look at photos, get comments etc to help me decide based on my needs.

This time, we booked precruise hotel thru Princess cause we are coming in on Easter weekend, and everything is totally booked and very high $$$. Princess gave us much better prices at a better hotel than available elsewhere for the holiday weekend. Personally, otherwise I prefer to book directly with the hotel chain as I am CDN and still chicken to use online TA's, although lots of other folks here use various online TA's with no problems.

Good luck!!

OK, so you're driving to FLL....done. If you're a AAA member, you may find decent hotel rates on their site.

Here's some more info, reviews and forums on FLL hotels. No need to worry about shuttles as there are taxis available that will get you to the port. Relax, after all, it is a vacation for a mere week or so and it will be over before you know it. You'll get to FLL, you'll get to the port and you'll get on the ship. The worst part of your entire cruise experience will be getting off the ship. Enjoy! ;)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34227-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida-Hotels.html

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/

http://www.princess.com/destination/canada/extend_stay_FLL.html

You should have no problems getting a pre-cruise hotel for Oct 20th prior to your cruise on the 21st, but if you plan on staying post-cruise please note that the Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show is Oct 26-30 and most hotels are already booked and lots of $$$.

Expedia, Travelocity, etc. charge extra costs - so we just book through the hotel's website or call the hotel directly. Although as emdia43 stated, Amerisuites through Valuetrips is supposedly cheaper. I've never stayed at AmeriSuites so I don't know anything about that hotel. Our favorite Ft. Lauderdale hotels are the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel and Lago Mar (both on the beach), the Hyatt Pier 66 (Priceline 4* Beach, and the Renaissance (Priceline 4* Downtown).

Enjoy your Caribbean Princess cruise. We loved the ship!

Dee

Archived