Antarctica - Warm Waterproof gloves?

holakat

Looking for warm waterproof gloves.  If anyone has used one trips in and out of zodiac etc., would love to hear your suggestions.  Husband gets cold fingers fast so likely use with hand warmer.  I need some that I can fold back finger to use with DSLR camera.  

18 minutes ago, holakat said:

Looking for warm waterproof gloves.  If anyone has used one trips in and out of zodiac etc., would love to hear your suggestions.  Husband gets cold fingers fast so likely use with hand warmer.  I need some that I can fold back finger to use with DSLR camera.  

Fellow Ontarian - we found that gloves were in a lot of cases not necessary.  The temps were between -5C and +5C and most of the time hovering around zero.  We had brilliant sunshine with no wind, so often our gloves were just off because it was not that cold on the fingers - and I do generally feel the cold.

In general we had too much clothing and the first day we grossly overdressed, and we shed layers day by day...

In my opinion, waterproof gloves / mittens are not necessary, but water repellent yes.

Also, Mittens will be warmer for your Husband as gloves will allow the fingers to chill faster.

I used a pair of $10.00 gloves/mittens from Winners that the finger section folded back on for picture taking, or when wearing my mittens, they clipped together so would just clip them to my coat when not wearing.

I think that the only day that I actually wore the mittens the full time was when we went snowshoeing because it was actually snowing that day and a bit windy.

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

Fellow Ontarian - we found that gloves were in a lot of cases not necessary.  The temps were between -5C and +5C and most of the time hovering around zero.  We had brilliant sunshine with no wind, so often our gloves were just off because it was not that cold on the fingers - and I do generally feel the cold.

In general we had too much clothing and the first day we grossly overdressed, and we shed layers day by day...

In my opinion, waterproof gloves / mittens are not necessary, but water repellent yes.

Also, Mittens will be warmer for your Husband as gloves will allow the fingers to chill faster.

I used a pair of $10.00 gloves/mittens from Winners that the finger section folded back on for picture taking, or when wearing my mittens, they clipped together so would just clip them to my coat when not wearing.

I think that the only day that I actually wore the mittens the full time was when we went snowshoeing because it was actually snowing that day and a bit windy.

Thanks CDNPolar.  We did find that when we were on our first Antarctic cruise it was quite warm, although fellow cruisers from US were shivering!  I just wondered if it would be a lot colder on land.  But of course it is a nice dry cold!  Off to Costco I go...cheers and thanks for the input.

4 minutes ago, holakat said:

Thanks CDNPolar.  We did find that when we were on our first Antarctic cruise it was quite warm, although fellow cruisers from US were shivering!  I just wondered if it would be a lot colder on land.  But of course it is a nice dry cold!  Off to Costco I go...cheers and thanks for the input.

If you are going Hurtigruten, then I know that your excursions will be to a certain extent demanding.  We found that we worked up a sweat every time we got onto the Continent... being warm was not a problem - being too warm was.

But, everyone has different temperature tolerances, and being warm is a necessity for a trip like this, so I would say be prepared with super warm gloves/mittens and also a light pair.

9 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

If you are going Hurtigruten, then I know that your excursions will be to a certain extent demanding.  We found that we worked up a sweat every time we got onto the Continent... being warm was not a problem - being too warm was.

But, everyone has different temperature tolerances, and being warm is a necessity for a trip like this, so I would say be prepared with super warm gloves/mittens and also a light pair.

Yes we will be on Roald Amundsen.  Lots of light layers and windproof pants are already in the to be packed pile.  Will be a challenge - 6 weeks of cruising (doing 4 on HAL around SA) and only hand luggage.  Hope all is well with your hand luggage challenge.  Cheers

I think that the most important item that I would stress is sunglasses.  You will be snow blind in minutes, even in cloudy days.  We each had two pairs of sunglasses just in case we lost or broke a pair.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 5:19 AM, CDNPolar said:

I think that the most important item that I would stress is sunglasses.  You will be snow blind in minutes, even in cloudy days.  We each had two pairs of sunglasses just in case we lost or broke a pair.

Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...