Anyone here ever cancelled for non-covered reason with NCL's Book Safe travel protection?

craig01020

It's likely that I will cancel my upcoming Canada cruise due to Hurricane Lee.  😡   I have Book Safe standard which provides a 75% FCC under the "cancel for any reason" clause.  My question for anyone who's ever done this is how long do you have to use the FCC and can it be used on an already booked cruise?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Hey there....we did this. Not due to a hurricane, but because we found a better cruise at a very appealing price. We had the Platinum plan so received a 90% FCC. Here's what happened:

We submitted our claim to AON as AON must deny the travel insurance claim before NCL will provide any benefit to you. We submitted the claim in late August, finally receiving our denial email in late February or March. UGH!! We received our FCC in 30 days from NCL.

When we received our FCC we could have used it to pay off a cruise fare for an already booked cruise if we had had one. Since we didn't, we selected a new cruise for this November. The FCC was good from the date of issuance (late March) through September, 2024. 

I hope that helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It takes a while for the insurance company to deny the claim. You have to submit all of the required cancellation information showing your losses.

You may want to wait to see if the cruise line offers anything. 

The only limitation we had was that the FCC used to have to be used all at once. In our case, we cancelled an expensive Alaskan cruise and could not use the FCC on a cheapy Caribbean cruise without leaving money on the table. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We submitted the claim in late August, finally receiving our denial email in late February or March.

Seven months...really?!!!  That's crazy. I'm hoping to use my (eventual) FCC on an already booked cruise in May.

26 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

Seven months...really?!!!  That's crazy. I'm hoping to use my (eventual) FCC on an already booked cruise in May.

I should also mention we finally received the denial about a week after complaining to the NYS AG's office that we had not received a denial. Seems weird to want be denied a claim, eh? In our case, it was wanted though...we cruised in March and had been hoping we would receive the FCC before final payment in November...obviously that didn't happen so we just had to book a new cruise.

I hope your denial and FCC come much quicker than mine! 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 12:35 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Hey there....we did this. Not due to a hurricane, but because we found a better cruise at a very appealing price. We had the Platinum plan so received a 90% FCC. Here's what happened:

We submitted our claim to AON as AON must deny the travel insurance claim before NCL will provide any benefit to you. We submitted the claim in late August, finally receiving our denial email in late February or March. UGH!! We received our FCC in 30 days from NCL.

When we received our FCC we could have used it to pay off a cruise fare for an already booked cruise if we had had one. Since we didn't, we selected a new cruise for this November. The FCC was good from the date of issuance (late March) through September, 2024. 

I hope that helps!

I received my denial letter from Aon in 3 days. That must be a record.

• Like 3