Which Santorini port does Princess use?

IUSteve

I understand that cruises generally use the "old port" in Santorini?  Is that always true of Princess as well?  I'm booked on Sun Princess next May.  The itinerary uses the term "water shuttle" rather than "tender," which made me wonder if instead it goes to the "new port."  Thanks!  

We have been to Santorini many times, we have always anchored right in front of the cable cars.   I don't know if this is considered "old port" or "new port?"  

As far as "tender" vs "water shuttle", Princess no longer uses the "tender" terminology.  For awhile now they have been called "water shuttles."

• Like 2

Just there last week. Cruise ships anchor and use water shuttle and/or tenders. Water shuttle is port service, tender is ship's tenders. For our cruise and the other ship anchored that day, it seemed that if on a ship's excursion, likely going to the "new" port. If DIY or other private excursion, then to "old port" that has the cable cars/donkey/walk up trail. 

• Like 1

All cruise ships in Santorini anchor off shore and use tenders to get passengers to shore.  If you are NOT on a shore excursion, you will be tendered to the old port.  The old port is at the bottom of a cliff and passengers have to walk up it, ride a donkey, or pay to use the tramway.  It's a money maker for the operator of the tram and the donkeys.  If you are on a shore excursion, you will be tendered to the new port.  The new port is further away from town and still at the bottom of a cliff, but has a road that accommodate tour buses to go up and down the cliff and a staging area for them.

• Like 2

Just a note that what you call the "old port" actually has a real name which is "Skala."   The port that is used for most excursions (because it can handle buses) is called Athinios.  This port is also used for ferries to/from other islands and the mainland.

Hank

• Like 2

One other consideration...if you take a ship's excursion, where does it end?

Not sure about Princess, but when I was on HAL 2016, all the excursions dumped everyone off in town, so you had to either take the cable car or donkey path back to the ship.

There were three ships and the line for the cable car was 1.5-2 hrs to get down and back to the ship.

I won't go to Santorini again because of this.

Edited by cavecreekguy
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cavecreekguy said:

One other consideration...if you take a ship's excursion, where does it end?

you have to read the fine print. some do drop back off at Athinios and you tender back--ours did. Others dropped off in town. I picked ours based upon that. The ship's excursion staff doesn't always know--ours insisted we'd be dropped off in Fira. When I asked him to read the excursion details, he then saw it was back to Athinios. FYI-it's a bit of a (short but somewhat wild) ride on the bus getting up the hill on the curves. Coming down was fine--maybe the glass of wine....