Kai Tak Cruise Terminal Safe Time Buffer for Flight

MT1234

Hello! 

We will be travelling on the Celebrity Solstice leaving Singapore Dec 22 2023, ending in Hong Kong Jan 3rd 2024. We arrive in Hong Kong at 6:00am at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal. We have an international flight departing the Hong Kong airport at 11:00am. We intend to get off the cruise ship as soon as they let us and will be  carrying off our luggage. We then hope to catch a taxi and go straight to the airport. We plan to fly with carry on luggage. It has been unclear from my reading online if there are actually taxi's readily available at this port.

My question: Does anyone have experience with this port have comments on if this timeline is likely to be enough to catch our flight?

Thank you all so much in advance for any info on this! 

1 hour ago, MT1234 said:

Hello! 

We will be travelling on the Celebrity Solstice leaving Singapore Dec 22 2023, ending in Hong Kong Jan 3rd 2024. We arrive in Hong Kong at 6:00am at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal. We have an international flight departing the Hong Kong airport at 11:00am. We intend to get off the cruise ship as soon as they let us and will be  carrying off our luggage. We then hope to catch a taxi and go straight to the airport. We plan to fly with carry on luggage. It has been unclear from my reading online if there are actually taxi's readily available at this port.

My question: Does anyone have experience with this port have comments on if this timeline is likely to be enough to catch our flight?

Thank you all so much in advance for any info on this! 

Been to HK many times, but my only experience at Kai Tak was multiple flights in and out when it was still the airport. Mostly docked at Ocean terminal.

I few things to consider regarding your flights - the docking time is an "Estimate", which is subject to many factors outwith the control of the Master. SE Asia waters are extremely conjested, especially with small fishing boats and junks. HK harbour is also very conjested and Kai Tak is all the way through the harbour between Kowloon & HK Island. Therefore, you have no guarantee the vessel will be alongside by 06:00.

Depending on the vessel's Pratique status, it can take many hours for the local authorities to clear the vessel. Our last cruise it took them about 8 hrs, as the vessel had a reportable Noro outbreak.

The distance is only 25 - 30 miles, but HK traffic can be horrendous. I have made the airport in just over 1/2 hr, but some days it can be an hour +. I have also heard others report that Kai Tak, at times does not have an abundance of taxis. The MTR is not very close to Kai Tak, so that also isn't a great option.

Personally, an 11:00 flight would be outside my level of risk tolerance.

From Kai Tak cruise terminal to Chek Lap Kok Airport is 42km. Taxi will use the expressways like route 5, 7 or 8  to reach airport under 40 min. International flight check-in time is 3 hours, because some flights depart from airport Midfield Concourse, outgoing immigration and security. Also your travel time is during New Year holiday week,  Good Luck if you can make your 11am flight.

Edited by monkey@cruise