Polar plunge

Hobar

2 hours ago, Khareef said:

I heard from some people that were in your antartica cruise that the stabilizers broke down and you made it to the Falklands right? So did they repair the stabilizers there? How did you make it back to Ushuaia?

The stabilizers would only open to 50%, so we were unable to get out to the South Georgia Islands.  Instead of the SGI, we went further south in Antarctica then other cruise ships go.  So, that was a nice bonus.  The rest of the trip, with multiple stops in the Falklands all went as planned.  We did have to go back to Ushuaia a day early to beat a storm brewing in the Drake.  The stabilizers were fixed at some later date - I don't know when.

• Like 1

Hobar we too have found lifelong friends on Seabourn - and we weren’t even looking! Longer cruises on small ships.

We surprised cruise buddies on a Ft L - BA trip years ago. In doing so we met an Irish couple at check-in and had lunch with them in the Colonnade. They thought we were completely nuts ducking under the table when the others passed by - now we are all firm friends.

Indeed we feel the same way about “coming home” on Seabourn. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 2:09 PM, cruiseej said:

For all those extolling the polar plunge, I just want to weigh in with the contrary position. I have no desire to jump into freezing water just to say I did it! 😀 I watch from a convenient viewing spot and applaud those who choose to partake, but I haven't been even remotely tempted to join in. (I don't drink Jaegermeister, and I could get that, or a hot chocolate, on the ship without getting cold and wet!) I'm not in any way discouraging anyone who wants to try it from doing so; I'm just noting there are also plenty of us who are happy to observe, cheer on, and stay warm and dry. 🤣

I'll sit next to you!  The only way I am doing a polar plunge is if the ship is sinking.

• Haha 2

For those curious on the mechanics of the polar plunge here's a (low quality) video I took of my son and his best friend doing their 2nd polar plunge on the day. Crazy kids.

Edit: Guess I should provide some context. This was in Greenland this past July. The zodiac closest to the top held the photographers. The one on the far right was working to keep ice out of the jumping area. They had just repositioned the ship to get further from the ice as too much was coming in.

Edited by markandjie
add details
  • Like 2

We enjoyed watching Seabourners make the leap in Antarctica, and the brief exposure and rope probably reduces risk. But for some expert pros and cons, read this: https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/12/09/youre-not-a-polar-bear-the-plunge-into-cold-water-comes-with-risks#:~:text=Plunging the body into cold,and makes it work harder.

15 hours ago, alexander51 said:

We enjoyed watching Seabourners make the leap in Antarctica, and the brief exposure and rope probably reduces risk. But for some expert pros and cons, read this: https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/12/09/youre-not-a-polar-bear-the-plunge-into-cold-water-comes-with-risks#:~:text=Plunging the body into cold,and makes it work harder.

If one thing doesn't get ya, something else will.  None of us of a certain age are getting off this planet alive.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, markandjie said:

For those curious on the mechanics of the polar plunge here's a (low quality) video I took of my son and his best friend doing their 2nd polar plunge on the day. Crazy kids.

Edit: Guess I should provide some context. This was in Greenland this past July. The zodiac closest to the top held the photographers. The one on the far right was working to keep ice out of the jumping area. They had just repositioned the ship to get further from the ice as too much was coming in.

Wow!

I was young once too. 
I just can’t remember it!

9 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Oh to be young and crazy again, instead of old and crazy.  I'll be taking the plunge in Jan 24.

Absolutely.  I’ll be taking it later this year (November) and the more I read positive posts on this thread, the more my excitement grows.  You don’t stop experiencing things when you get old, you get old when you stop experiencing things.  

• Like 2

On 9/20/2023 at 12:47 AM, markandjie said:

Hopefully one day there will a photographer on board who does not believe he knows the meaning of life....:-)

• Haha 2

On 9/15/2023 at 7:38 AM, Viking1966 said:

I will take the plunge on our upcoming cruise to Antarctica on the Venture. I hope they will have some Aquavit available pre and post-plunge. So much better than Jaegermaister.  

We’re on the same cruise as you are the only other poster on the Roll Call. We will also be doing the white water rafting excursion together.  See you in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Daniel Fox is an amazing photographer and videographer.    Our Venture trip was superbly document by Daniel and I hope he is on board for our next expedition!

Photographer, agreed. As for video, on our Venture trip the video was put together by the very humble and underappreciated John Shedwick. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, markandjie said:

Photographer, agreed. As for video, on our Venture trip the video was put together by the very humble and underappreciated John Shedwick. 

Yeah the videographer is a very nice, laid back and down to earth.