NCL Scuba Operator in St. Thomas 2023

Dharma2003

I’m newly OW certified (just barely, from cold Wyoming waters) and being on my first cruise I signed up for the NCL excursion in St. Thomas. Does anyone know who the current dive operator for NCL is there? I saw that Pat.D in 2022 said it was Underwater Adventures and wanted to know if it’s changed. I’m going there December of 2023. I’d like to either read reviews or hear if anyone here has gone with that dive operator, to see what I’m getting in to.

Also, I’m thinking of taking some of my own gear too & was wondering what, if anything, anyone else brings along.

Thanks!

@Dharma2003

I don't know who the cruise line's operator may be, but I can tell you St. Thomas is a port where it's hard to find an operator independently because of transport issues. 

When I cruise I take all my own gear.  That includes a roller bag to go from the ship to the pier.  It's a bit of a hassle for packing and what not, but it's worth it to me, since my gear is perfect for me, and I know it's properly serviced, and cared for.  at a minimum, I'd say take your own mask and dive computer.  Those are easy to pack and your own are always going to be better than the rentals. 

Harris

Denver, CO

You know, I'm hauling less and less gear around these days.  It seems like my travel load gets lighter each year and all that expensive gear of mine just sits there in my closet.

I pretty much only pack my mask, my computer, and an SMB.  Oh, and of course, my camera rig that weighs a ton.  Basically, I tote my camera and let the local operator provide the heavy, bulky stuff.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 4:02 PM, Magicbar said:

Underwater Adventures was the provider when I dove there in February 2023, March 2022 and January 2022. Great operation. Dive sites were average.

Same here, I dived 4-5 times with Underwater Adventures on NCL and RCCL excursions.  Always the wreck of the Cartenza Senora and then the reef (say hi to Stumpy the turtle!) 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

U.A. will dock very close to the ship, they have a big boat and lots of people you'll probably be gone for only 3.5 hours and you're dropped off by the ship.  JJ Divers is where you can dive with harmless blacktips/Caribbean reef sharks, will have far fewer people, will cost more, and will take longer