Gym and booking lessons for yoga and Pilates

sanne

We are cruising on the Explorer with family in a couple of months and some of them have asked me about the gym. Since I’ve never set foot in the gym please  could someone  help me with finding  out what’s available in the gym as far as Pilates and yoga. Are these bookable before we travel or do you book them once on board. And if so how do you do that? 

Thanks.

54 minutes ago, sanne said:

We are cruising on the Explorer with family in a couple of months and some of them have asked me about the gym. Since I’ve never set foot in the gym please  could someone  help me with finding  out what’s available in the gym as far as Pilates and yoga. Are these bookable before we travel or do you book them once on board. And if so how do you do that? 

Thanks.

There are fitness classes, they're included, and they're first come, first served, not booked. I'm willing to bet they're not very full.

On embarkation day, the spa and fitness center has a meet & greet. You can meet the fitness director and get the class schedule for the whole cruise. That schedule is available throughout the cruise just by visiting the fitness center.

Most (every?) day has a Wellness Event, too -- these have always struck me as a way to sell product, but what do I know? The Wellness Event is in the daily schedule included in the Passages. The fitness classes for each day aren't in the main schedule but ARE in the daily Passages, tucked away next to whatever treatment the spa is advertising that day.

On my recent 10-day Voyager cruise, there were Yoga Vinyasa, Mat Pilates, Stretching, Circuit Training, Indoor Cycle and Meditation sessions offered at least two times each. Every day except embarkation and debarkation had either a Sunrise or Sunset Stretch, sometimes both.

1 hour ago, RELS said:

There are fitness classes, they're included, and they're first come, first served, not booked. I'm willing to bet they're not very full.

On embarkation day, the spa and fitness center has a meet & greet. You can meet the fitness director and get the class schedule for the whole cruise. That schedule is available throughout the cruise just by visiting the fitness center.

Most (every?) day has a Wellness Event, too -- these have always struck me as a way to sell product, but what do I know? The Wellness Event is in the daily schedule included in the Passages. The fitness classes for each day aren't in the main schedule but ARE in the daily Passages, tucked away next to whatever treatment the spa is advertising that day.

On my recent 10-day Voyager cruise, there were Yoga Vinyasa, Mat Pilates, Stretching, Circuit Training, Indoor Cycle and Meditation sessions offered at least two times each. Every day except embarkation and debarkation had either a Sunrise or Sunset Stretch, sometimes both.

That’s great, thank you very much RELS. I’ll pass that info on to my family. They’re all into fitness and this is their first cruise. 

When we sailed on the Navigator before Christmas there were paper lists on the side in the gym where you could sign up for various classes. Sadly there were no indoor cycling sessions but there were some (rather clunky) spin bikes so we used them so glad to hear there are sessions on the Explorer.

Tend to use the gym on sea days and try for as much exercise in port as we can - it means we can drink and eat what we want and clothes still fit when we get home 😂😂😂

At home, I do reformer pilates at least 5 days a week.  The classes onboard are mat classes (no reformers), and not offered every day  They usually offer either yoga or pilates, one or the other, every day, but time varies between morning and evening.  So you really have to pay attention to the schedule.  You are supposed to sign up the day before.  But I have just shown up and been able to join in on occasion as most classes aren't full.  The instructors vary in expertise but are mostly good.  On our last cruise, it was a guy from India who was quite good with the yoga part.  He had never done reformer pilates so had lots of questions for me.