Pre Existing Condition

lakegirl16

Hello! I'm confused on the definition of a Pre Existing Condition and the lookback period.  If I currently am being treated for a condition, that would be considered a pre existing condition, correct?  How does the lookback period work and what does it apply to?

I understand the insurance must be purchased within so many days of making my first payment and I must be medically fit to travel.

Thank you.

• Like 1

The look-back period is the number of days from the effective date of the policy that the insurance company will look back at your medical records to determine if your claim is based on a pre-existing condition. Sixty days is common, but it varies among policies all the way to 365 days.  Shorter is better because it exposes less of your history to scrutiny, though in your case it may not make any difference since you are already undergoing treatment.

The examiner will look for any reported symptoms, test, diagnosis, treatment, or even a prescription change. A stable condition controlled by medication alone does not count. I can’t say how that would apply to you; however, if your claim is determined to be caused by a pre-existing condition, it will be denied. The exclusion applies to Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, and Medical Expenses. You’ll still have some level of emergency care, and all other coverage remains in place for unrelated medical problems or travel risks.

Whether you can qualify for an exemption is complicated by your current circumstances. Your doctor must release you for travel before you can buy a policy.

To get the right answer for your specific situation, call a professional. People on this forum are comfortable recommending The Trip Insurance Store as a reputable company with personal service.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lakegirl16 said:

Hello! I'm confused on the definition of a Pre Existing Condition and the lookback period.  If I currently am being treated for a condition, that would be considered a pre existing condition, correct?  How does the lookback period work and what does it apply to?

I understand the insurance must be purchased within so many days of making my first payment and I must be medically fit to travel.

Thank you.

Babr always has excellent information and suggestions.

In addition to what they've just written, keep in mind that it is usually possible to purchase a travel insurance policy that "waives the pre-existing condition exclusion".  That is, pre-existing condtions are not really considered at all if there is a claim, ASSUMING that one is "fit to travel the day the insurance is started".  "Lookback periods" do not apply for these policies.

And *these* are the policies where one usually must start the coverage within, say, 10-21 days of making the *first* payment for the trip.

It's good that you are aware of "pre-existing conditions", but the definition for travel insurance typically is different from everyday usage.  Those are mostly an issue with travel insurance if one doesn't start the coverage right at the beginning.

Note:  There used to be - and may still be! - at least one insurer/policy where one could get that waiver until just when one makes the final payment (defined narrowly).

We are among those who have used (and recommend) www.TripInsuranceStore.com .

But please CALL them to discuss "all of the above" so they can help you get a policy that best fits your needs.

Enjoy your travels!

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2