planning a cruise with friends who suffer

from seasickness.They have only been on one cruise and that was to far east where they said sea was like a millpond.

They are leaving it up to me to choose ship and itinerary.I was thinking of the brilliance or serenade.My question is about the itinerary.

We wont be going in hurricane season and i no that you cant always rely on weather but which would be best?

Caribbean,Alaska,Mexico or Europe or maybe the Bahamas?

Anyone been to all these places?

Thanks for any help you can give.:confused:

When someone is prone to seasickness, it is impossible to predict which cruise route would be better for them. Mother Nature and the ocean may have other plans.

The best bet, IMHO, is for your friends to seek medical advice about the scop patch, or an over the counter med like Bonine (meclizine). The Reliefband electronic device also works well for a lot of people. I use all three methods together (with my doctor's approval). Severe seasickness won't stop me from cruising, as you can see!

Your friends should come prepared, so that you all can have a great cruise. Just my $.02.

I no nothing is guaranteed but i so much want them to have a good cruise.

Maybe Alaska is the way to go.I have always wanted to go there but i will have to ask them how they feel about the cold.

I would also love to go to Hawaii,just long flight from uk puts me off.

Hey parrottops i believe you are on the Empress with us.Down to single digits now.Yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Sylvia:)

I worry about seasickness as well and asked a million questions about itineraries and sea conditions before I booked my first cruise. I was told that the Southern route is quite calm - calmer than the eastern. Turns out the Southern route was a lot more rough than the eastern this past January. I really believe it is just the luck of the draw.....apparently all ships leaving from San Juan and/or cruising to it as a port of call experienced the same rough seas this past January. There is no real way to predict in advance how high the swells will be - you will definitely feel some motion no matter what ship/itinerary you choose. It's good to choose non-hurricane months - if you are really worried about it.

In my opinion Alaska's inside passage would be your best bet. You are never in "open sea" and it's smooth as glass. All of the other ships you are in open sea, at least on the way back...

That is partially true, if you go on a 7 night round trip out of Vancouver. It would not include Seattle or San Francisco departures nor one way, either north or southbound.

I have to agree with teddie on this subject. If you are prone to seasickness, take precautions, then don't worry so much. Your cruise destination should be based on where you want to go. Alaska is gorgeous and at the top of my list, but Hawaii is also a wonderful destination and I'd love the opportunity to cruise the Med or a Balkans cruise. Caribbean is on the bottom of my list, only because of the popularity and crowds, I'd probably choose a southern route there if we ever get down that way. I'm sure it's gorgeous, we're just not crazy for crowded ports.

I agree with the others about treating the symptoms if they experience them. I get raging motion (in the car) and sea sickness. I take meds while on board the ship. I can tell you that it takes about 2 days to get your sea legs, then no problems after that.

My best advice, the newer the ship, the better the stabilizers on it. And the bigger the ship, the more stable. Also, I always get a room mid ship. And I used to get a room on a lower level, the lower you go, the less rocking. I don't do that anymore but I used to.

We've always done Eastern Carib and Bahamas, no problems.

As we are shortly going on our 5th caribean cruise i think i want the next cruise to be completly different,so alaska or hawai must be at the top of our list.

I will talk to them and see how they feel about the cold.

We have been friends and workmates for 30 years,although since being made redundant we now work for different companies.We have never been on holiday together and they asked if they could join us on our next cruise.The last cruise they went on was a thompsons ship so it was very small and i no they will love rcc.

Thank you for your help.

Sylvia:

No prob!

I wanted to re-stress that if they may wish to take something starting the day before the cruise, though, just as a preventive measure. It takes a little while for the stuff to take effect, and it seems that first evening is the worst, as your body is trying to adjust to the change.

Have a great time!

Cindy

Have a look at a map - there is a stretch in the Inside Passage between Queen Charlotte Island and Vancouver Island which is open water - you may be close to the coastline but there is nothing between you and the Aleutians but ocean. We did an inside passage cruise in September 2003, had to leave Ketchikan early because of a storm moving in, and when we were in that gap between the islands were experiencing gale force 9 winds and 15- to 20-foot seas. All doors to the outside decks were locked, and there were seasickness bags available every ten feet. Might want to take that possibility into consideration if you're thinking about Alaska...

In my opinion Alaska's inside passage would be your best bet. You are never in "open sea" and it's smooth as glass. All of the other ships you are in open sea, at least on the way back...

Cruisinmama06 has the best advice:

My best advice, the newer the ship, the better the stabilizers on it. And the bigger the ship, the more stable. Also, I always get a room mid ship. And I used to get a room on a lower level, the lower you go, the less rocking.

I had never experienced seasickness until our four days on the ship to Hawaii. However, I had heard that ginger is good for seasickness so I went to the health store to get some, thinking just in case but we will never need it. It really worked for us. You'll have a great time with all your friends. Would I repeat those four seasick days going to Hawaii? Oh yes. :)

Robin:cool:

Archived