Tour companies and guides for Kyoto

Amster12345

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 10:45 AM, Amster12345 said:

I'm looking into hiring a private English speaking guide for a day in Kyoto for a small group.  There are quite a few companies that do this.  Viator, GoWithGuide, ToursByLocals, and many more.  Does anyone have a recommendation of who to go with?

In 2019 I used Tours by Locals and had an excellent day tour of Kyoto. My guide was Ken if you want further information (and it's not too late for my response) please let me know.  

57 minutes ago, Smbruner said:

In 2019 I used Tours by Locals and had an excellent day tour of Kyoto. My guide was Ken if you want further information (and it's not too late for my response) please let me know.  

We are also looking for recommendations for a day tour to Kyoto. Our ship will be at the port of Kobe and having difficulty finding options leaving from Kobe.  What port of call did you depart on the tour from?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

We are also looking for recommendations for a day tour to Kyoto. Our ship will be at the port of Kobe and having difficulty finding options leaving from Kobe.  What port of call did you depart on the tour from?

When we were there Osaka was our port and we were only there for one day so we had to make the best of it.  We saw way more than those on a Regent excursion (judging from the conversations once back on board).

6 hours ago, Smbruner said:

When we were there Osaka was our port and we were only there for one day so we had to make the best of it.  We saw way more than those on a Regent excursion (judging from the conversations once back on board).

Thank you and seems port of Kobe isn't listed on their site - have sent an email to inquire.  

Now that I'm looking into it further, NCL Jewel, which I'm on, also docks in Kobe.  Which is a considerable distance from Kyoto.  The good thing is that we overnight there, so getting back to the ship on time the first day isn't a concern.  Westeast, let me know what you find out.

15 hours ago, Amster12345 said:

Now that I'm looking into it further, NCL Jewel, which I'm on, also docks in Kobe.  Which is a considerable distance from Kyoto.  The good thing is that we overnight there, so getting back to the ship on time the first day isn't a concern.  Westeast, let me know what you find out.

Will do. We are on Oceania and have an overnight as well.

On 10/5/2023 at 9:17 PM, Amster12345 said:

Been in contact with GoWithGuide for tour in Kyoto. They reply quickly and will customize to your preferences.  In process of navigating train travel info from Kobe to Kyoto and return - approximately 30 minutes distance before we finalize.

On 10/11/2023 at 5:46 PM, micruiser2002 said:

I am using DOKOTRIP for Kyoto in a few weeks.  We will be taking the train from Osaka to Kyoto and spending the night in Kyoto.  Then we will be using the tour company the next day and they will return us to the ship.

We want to take the train from Kobe to Kyoto on the Shinkansen (bullet train). Kobe bullet train stops in Osaka before reaching Kyoto - is this the train you will be taking? If so, could you share information e.g., will you purchase your tickets online or at station? Different classes of tickets and looks like Reserved or Green class is preferred if one doesn't want to stand. Thank you.

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

We want to take the train from Kobe to Kyoto on the Shinkansen (bullet train). Kobe bullet train stops in Osaka before reaching Kyoto - is this the train you will be taking? If so, could you share information e.g., will you purchase your tickets online or at station? Different classes of tickets and looks like Reserved or Green class is preferred if one doesn't want to stand. Thank you.

I bought my tickets online with the SmartEx app, this is what the Japan Rail shows to use.  I booked non reserved tickets for the day we dock just in case we cannot make a specific time.  If you use the App you can also use that to scan the tickets to board without having to get a paper ticket.  I printed our QR codes also just in case.

23 minutes ago, Amster12345 said:

Are you spending the night in Kyoto?

Not the person you asked but I am on Millie later this month and we have an overnight in Osaka and we are spending the night in Kyoto so we can start early the next day and get in as much as possible.

1 hour ago, micruiser2002 said:

I bought my tickets online with the SmartEx app, this is what the Japan Rail shows to use.  I booked non reserved tickets for the day we dock just in case we cannot make a specific time.  If you use the App you can also use that to scan the tickets to board without having to get a paper ticket.  I printed our QR codes also just in case.

we are spending the night in Kyoto so we can start early the next day and get in as much as possible.

Did consider overnight in Kyoto but then want to see either Osaka or Nara on our second day.

Thanks and good point as our respective ships could dock late (or early!). Think we will wait to purchase our ticket upon arrival at the Kobe station. We need to be in Kyoto at a specific time to meet up with our guide from GoWithGuide so will book our Kyoto tour with a few hours lag time.  

How do you plan to transit from Kyoto Rail Station to your Kyoto hotel as thinking it might be best for us to meet our guide at a Kyoto city hotel?  Thanks again😄

16 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Did consider overnight in Kyoto but then want to see either Osaka or Nara on our second day.

Thanks and good point as our respective ships could dock late (or early!). Think we will wait to purchase our ticket upon arrival at the Kobe station. We need to be in Kyoto at a specific time to meet up with our guide from GoWithGuide so will book our Kyoto tour with a few hours lag time.  

How do you plan to transit from Kyoto Rail Station to your Kyoto hotel as thinking it might be best for us to meet our guide at a Kyoto city hotel?  Thanks again😄

We will be taking the Metro at Kyoto Rail Station to a stop not far from our hotel.  

We will be taking the Metro at Kyoto Rail Station to a stop not far from our hotel.  

Thanks again for more great information.  Looked it up and seems that the Subway/metro is in the same station as the Kyoto Station and the Karasuma Subway Line is two stops to the Kyoto’s city center at Shijo Station (no connections). Is that the line you will take? Will have to look up how easy it is to get a one day ticket now!

Edited by WESTEAST

6 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Thanks again for more great information.  Looked it up and seems that the Subway/metro is in the same station as the Kyoto Station and the Karasuma Subway Line is two stops to the Kyoto’s city center at Shijo Station (no connections). Is that the line you will take? Will have to look up how easy it is get a one day ticket now!

Yes that is the line we will be taking but we will be changing to the Tozai line to get closer to the hotel we are staying at.

30 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Yes that is the line we will be taking but we will be changing to the Tozai line to get closer to the hotel we are staying at.

Really appreciate all of your info!  Just wondering, is your cruise stopping in Beppu as other than hot springs and spas not much else to see and just curious if you would stop there and found something interesting?

2 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Really appreciate all of your info!  Just wondering, is your cruise stopping in Beppu as other than hot springs and spas not much else to see and just curious if you would stop there and found something interesting?

No our sailing does not go there.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

I also used SmartEx app on my Shinkansen travel 2 weeks ago. All Shinkansen tickets are time specific, you can make change to your tickets as long as your original departure time not passed and you hasn't passed the ticket gate. The non reserved tickets are non reserved seat tickets, no seat assignment  usually car 1 - 3,

8 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

I also used SmartEx app on my Shinkansen travel 2 weeks ago. All Shinkansen tickets are time specific, you can make change to your tickets as long as your original departure time not passed and you hasn't passed the ticket gate. The non reserved tickets are non reserved seat tickets, no seat assignment  usually car 1 - 3,

What time did you dock in Osaka and were you able to get off the ship pretty quick?

What time did you dock in Osaka and were you able to get off the ship pretty quick?

Ship docked at 8am, disembark at deck 2 midship gangway. Must show passport to custom agents and random search for items prohibited to bring ashore like produce, cheese, fruits, meat, etc. We departed from Martini Bar at 8:15am, were able to catch bus #88 (8:24am) from cruise terminal to Osakako metro station to Nara. If weekdays, expect morning rush hours on street traffic and public transportation.

10 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Been in contact with GoWithGuide for tour in Kyoto. They reply quickly and will customize to your preferences.  In process of navigating train travel info from Kobe to Kyoto and return - approximately 30 minutes distance before we finalize.

Good to know.  I will contact them and see what I can set up.  It looks like we dock at 7am.  Ideally I'd like a long tour day in Kyoto and return to Kobe that evening.  Maybe get a tour in Osaka the next day.

6 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

I pre-cruise stayed in Kyoto for 5 days and stayed in a hotel across Kyoto station. The Shinkansen platforms locate Kyoto station building southside, where Kyoto subway station is at north east outside the Kyoto station building (Hotel Granvia Kyoto). To minimize hauling luggage distance, in Shinkansen look for Shinkansen Hachijo East Exit, take the elevator to street level, you will see a General Taxi Stand, Kyoto Station Karasuma Exit. The subway street level elevator access locates near tourist taxi stall #2, 

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9865301,135.7597924,3a,15y,112.93h,90.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scQokZT_6_zeMHxLCobL9GQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/place/General+Taxi+Stand,+Kyoto+Station+Karasuma+Exit/@34.986421,135.760649

• Like 1