Cunard Entertainment: Newfoundland Duo

Mareblu

Onboard Queen Elizabeth's three-week cruise through Australian and New Zealand waters in January we were entertained by the incredibly talented Newfoundland Duo, Irish father-and-son musicians and singers.  After a few evenings, as their reputation spread, it became increasingly difficult to nab a table or seat in each of the onboard venues where they were performing.  Their instrumental work was mesmerising, and their ability to read an audience commendable.  Would any of our Cunarders in these threads know if they will return to the line?  I'm sincerely hoping against hope that they may just appear on our Queen Anne "British Isles" sailing (Southampton return) next May.

I thought they were brothers too. ☺️

They were on the late June cruise on QV and entertained us in the Winter Garden and on the stage at the rear of deck 9. 

‘Dad’ was very friendly and chatty when we saw him about the ship. 

• Like 1

They are delightful, and yes, look more like brothers, but Dad, Craig, often imparted that his counterpart was son, Josh.  I asked if they knew Michael Burke, another supremely talented Irish singer-instrumentalist we first met on Seabourn’s Quest in 2014.  We have kept in touch with Michael on and off over the years, and he used to entertain us with “Galway Girl”.  To my amazement, Craig told us with a beaming smile that Michael had arranged the Cunard gig for them.  From then on, they deliversd “Galway Girl” whebever we sat down.  Obviously, from your responses, Cunard appreciated their appeal.  Thank you so much everyone.  We may just find them again.

Indeed, they are currently on the Queen Victoria.

The response is mixed, maybe as the venue is not always fitting. When they played in the Commodore Club, some guests asked for a piano player instead of the diddel-di. For sailaway a more vibrant band would be niecer.

Yet these are scheduling topics, nothing about the quality of the music.

I would certainly agree that a pianist is more appropriate in the Commodore Club, where drinks taken to a subdued background music is appropriate.  Sailaway music should indeed be more vibrant.  The Newfoundland Due were superb in the Golden Lion and the Garden(?) Lounge, although the acoustics were not on point in the latter.  It was also rather stuffy and warm at times.  They did not always perform "diddle-di".  They willingly delivered whatever requested, which can be problematic for some musicians on the spur of the moment, but they seemed amenable and courteous, and such is their talent, all requests we witnessed were almost flawless, including haunting classic pieces and songs.  One of the many reasons we choose sailing voyages is for the variety of entertainment aboard at any one time, usually, so guests are free to choose.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, Mareblu said:

I would certainly agree that a pianist is more appropriate in the Commodore Club, where drinks taken to a subdued background music is appropriate.  Sailaway music should indeed be more vibrant.  The Newfoundland Due were superb in the Golden Lion and the Garden(?) Lounge, although the acoustics were not on point in the latter.  It was also rather stuffy and warm at times.  They did not always perform "diddle-di".  They willingly delivered whatever requested, which can be problematic for some musicians on the spur of the moment, but they seemed amenable and courteous, and such is their talent, all requests we witnessed were almost flawless, including haunting classic pieces and songs.  One of the many reasons we choose sailing voyages is for the variety of entertainment aboard at any one time, usually, so guests are free to choose.

We enjoyed the duo on QM2 during a summer Alaskan cruise. 

• Like 1