What do you get YOUR TA?

Mom1977

The thread about what gifts your TA have given you in the past made me think...what have you gotten your ta? (besides giving them your business)

We've used the same ta for several years now. (except for this cruise, I went to Carnival's PVP this time) Anyhow, last year, after she arranged air flights, hotel, transportation and cruise for 9 people, I sent her an arrangment of flowers with a big thank you when we returned!

With the online booking options, my TA hasn't seen any business for the past few years.

One year, she checked multiple sailing dates but I always got a lower price through Expedia, Travelocity, etc.

It was HUNDREDS less so I never booked through her.

I felt so bad, that I had a bottle of champagne waiting for her on HER cruise in her cabin. She was very appreciative.

He's never met her face to face, but since his company requires using a travel agent to book flights, hotel, etc... he uses the same one. Every couple of years he sends cookies from Hawaii or something fun from a trip he's on. Seems like she really appreciates the gestures. We also send her Christmas cards every year.

Debbie

Sent mine a cookie basket from Cookies By Design.

She really appreciated it and since I am also in sales, I received 2 referrals from my TA. The price of the basket more than paid for itself.

I refer any cruise travel to her and she refers any mortgage business to me. Everyone is happy and that's what networking is all about!!!

My TA had to jump thru hoops to get a credit for my Mom's cabin on our upcoming cruise. I sent him 3 bottles of wine from a private vinyard in Sonoma. He saved us nearly $450 so I thought it was well deserved.

Never given a TA anything except my business. Can't think of a reason to. Didn't I pay them?

Mark T

Then I guess you never expect any bonus gifts from your employer-after all they paid you. I do not understand why people begrudge a travel agent making a living.

My TA matches any deal I can find anywhere. I have given up trying to beat her pricing because it is always the lowest (yes I still play and look around). I bring her a gift from our cruise (rum cake, liquor-whatever I find interesting) as a thank you for watching out for my best interests. What she prefers is referring her to others that want to travel.

Then I guess you never expect any bonus gifts from your employer-after all they paid you. I do not understand why people begrudge a travel agent making a living.

Apples and oranges a TA is not a full time employee of someone booking a cruise. If I did use a TA eight hours a day 260 days out of the year then yes, they would deserve a bonus and a gift!!! I have not heard that anyone is against them making a living.

All the people that I use as a service, insurance agent, attorney, financial advisor, broker, real estate agent, car mechanic, etc. etc. are all thrilled to have my business, they make lots of money from me and tell me that returning to do business with them is the greatest thanks they could get.

I don't recall one person stating that they begrudge a travel agent from making a living.

Most TA's work very hard to help peoples travel experiences easier and more enjoyable. For that service they EARN compensation.

No, I don't receive any bonus gifts from my employer. However, when I go above and beyond to increase THEIR revenue bottom line, then yes, I do receive a very small token of their apprecaition

Hi....when we have booked a cruise around the holidays or the new year...I have given my travel agent (who has booked all of our cruises) a calendar for the upcoming year with pictures of tropical islands or beaches since all of our cruises have been to the Caribbean. She also writes postcards to her clients to welcome them home from a cruise so when I cruise a particular ship, I buy a few extra postcards with the ship's picture on it to send her. Also sent her a personalized Christmas ornament (a cruise ship, of course).

Wendy

I honestly can say I have NEVER thought about it...such a shame WOW...This time around I shall bring something back or send something even tho I didnt get what I feel is the "best" rate or price I have used her a few years and HEH who knows about future travel!!!

Thanks for making me "think"

Okay....okay. Having been a TA for several years (I no longer do this) I can tell you that unless you book through a TA who owns their own business, most TA's who work for an agency don't see that "commission" you think you're giving them. They receive an hourly wage. The agency gets the commission. Now, some agencies do give their agents a small portion of that commission, but believe me, agency TA's are not making large salaries! Cruise commissions are based on the rate of your cruise, minus the port charges and taxes. So, if you book a cruise that the base rate is $699.00 per person (minus Port charges and taxes) for a total base rate of $1398 (for 2 people), the agency received 10-15% commission based on their volume of sales with that cruise line. So, if the agency is based at 10% commission, the agency would receive $139.80 of that commission. Say the agency gives their agent 20% of that commission, the TA would receive $27.96. That $27.96 would then be added to the agents paycheck (and of course would be taxed). So how much of that $27.96 do you think the agent is really putting in their pocket after they've bought a bottle of wine or champagne that so many of you feel is owed to you?

For those of you who feel it is your TA's "duty" to send you something in your cabin, that usually comes out of their own paycheck - not from the agency. That would be like you paying for a gift from your weekly paycheck on your job for everyone you sell something to or help.

For those of you who think of your TA with a small token, I am sure they really appreciate it - they don't expect it, but they are probably very touched that you thought to do that for them.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my view, but I think before people start putting down TA's for not leaving gifts for them on a cruise and talking about what happens to their commission, they really need to understand how it really works and not make assumptions.

The thread about what gifts your TA have given you in the past made me think...what have you gotten your ta? (besides giving them your business)

Nothing...that's their job.

I let them keep the commision they earned from my business:D

Exactly...why would you feel the need to give them something "extra"?

Archived