Just back from the GLORY...Not much fun....

spottythecat

spottythecat,

I rarely read reviews and I shouldn't have read yours.

You are new on the boards [and that's OK], had you been around long enough you would have known exactly what to expect on a spring break cruise. Your problems come from two areas, spring break and a lack of knowledge. Still a shame you didn't enjoy your cruise but it was not Carnival's fault.

Read your Royal Caribbean boards and you'll find the exact same spring break complaints on that line. Just about all lines have the same problems this time of the year.

So your next cruise on RCL could be your worst experience in your life, or your best. A Carnival cruise could be the same, wonderful or terrible, its up to you.

Dan

I wonder about the many posts saying, "You should have known that a spring break cruise would be like that." I think there are lots of reasons why one might assume it would not be quite that bad.

1. It can be hard to appreciate the magnitude of rowdy behavior if you haven't witnessed it yet. A number of colleges and universities don't have spring break; the place I did my undergraduate work was like that, and it took a few years to wrap my brain around the reality of what spring break can mean.

2. I would think that Carnival's age policy (at least one person 25+ per cabin) would cut down on the number of spring breakers. We had older graduate students living in our neighborhood, and they were just fine (although who knows how they might behave on a cruise ship).

3. Booking a cruise takes a certain amount of pre-planning, which my older kids would never have done as an undergraduate student. They'd more likely just hop in a car and drive somewhere.

So while I would expect *more* college students, I wouldn't expect quite as bad an experience as posted here. Live and learn.

Having been on many "spring break" week cruises...I can tell you that the "rowdy" behavior is not just college students. I've encountered large groups of High School students as well. They were loud, rowdy and drunk...thanks to the group of parents that were supplying them alcohol.

:rolleyes:

I'd never complain about it...I expect to see it...and it's often somewhat amusing... ;)

I personaly think cruises just are not for kids...

Take them to Disney, family resorts, The ocean. The boat is limited for kids, its more adult oriented.

You are complaining about smoking, well we complain about little kids on a cruise- no offense

sorry ,,,,I really don't agree with this..

Yes , Disney is great but I think in general , cruising is great for families , even with smaller children. We have taken our kids on several cruises and they have had a wonderful time.

Maybe a little preparation is needed to choose an appropriate ship and time of year, but I would suggest to any of my friends to take their kids cruising.

Remember -Carnival (and other cruiselines) promotes their ships as family friendly.

I wonder about the many posts saying, "You should have known that a spring break cruise would be like that." I think there are lots of reasons why one might assume it would not be quite that bad.

1. It can be hard to appreciate the magnitude of rowdy behavior if you haven't witnessed it yet. A number of colleges and universities don't have spring break; the place I did my undergraduate work was like that, and it took a few years to wrap my brain around the reality of what spring break can mean.

2. I would think that Carnival's age policy (at least one person 25+ per cabin) would cut down on the number of spring breakers. We had older graduate students living in our neighborhood, and they were just fine (although who knows how they might behave on a cruise ship).

3. Booking a cruise takes a certain amount of pre-planning, which my older kids would never have done as an undergraduate student. They'd more likely just hop in a car and drive somewhere.

So while I would expect *more* college students, I wouldn't expect quite as bad an experience as posted here. Live and learn.

I agree with this poster..We haved just rebooked our Valor cruise to Dec , it was originally Apr 2. When I was trying to decided which line and ship to go on the Valor was suggested by a PVP with Carnival for many reasons that matched our personal needs. When I asked the PVP about the timing of our Apr 2 nd cruise being close to Spring Break , she gave me a long and convincing spiel about how Carnival has really tightened up their policies and improved security regarding spring breakers. She guaranteed me that any problems with loud or rude drunken behavior would not be tolerated .

I did not ask about this because I want to stop anyone from having a good time- just because I may want to consider an alternative date . However, she had no problem assuring me that "thier policies" would be enforced . This was before I found this wonderful board.

It sounds to me from reading other posts that Carnival may not have "the grip " on things like the PVP suggested. Possibly the OP may have been given advice similar to what I had been given .

I had no idea Carnival has such a policy. My frist cruise was me and my wife for our honeymoon and we were both 22. I question how well they enforce this rule. I'm sure that they are not in the habit of turning dowm paying customers.

I would think that Carnival's age policy (at least one person 25+ per cabin) would cut down on the number of spring breakers. We had older graduate students living in our neighborhood, and they were just fine (although who knows how they might behave on a cruise ship).

I had no idea Carnival has such a policy. My frist cruise was me and my wife for our honeymoon and we were both 22. I question how well they enforce this rule. I'm sure that they are not in the habit of turning dowm paying customers.

I think the policy is that no one under age 21 can be in a cabin unless at least one person 25+ is in the cabin with them. If passengers are 21 or older, they can be in a cabin without someone over 25 in with them. The exception to the rule is if an under 21 passenger is booked in a cabin next door to their parents, they can be in a cabin with under 25 year old persons. So, yes, two 22 y/o can (and did!) cruise together, no problem. :)

I had no idea Carnival has such a policy. My frist cruise was me and my wife for our honeymoon and we were both 22.

Of course married couples of any age are an exception. And I was vague about the policy which (from the website) is,

"Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older."

So of course those 21 or older can travel alone/in groups (which some college juniors could be--my math was off because it is getting to be pretty common where I live to start college at 17 and/or finish by 21). But the younger ones would need to have an older student in the group to book.

I don't know to what extent Carnival actively markets to college-aged travelers through travel agencies like STA, etc. (Haven't been past that part of the student union in a while.)

Taking a chance to say this.....may get flamed:o

I think that most of the responses to the OP where kind and understanding, supportive and informative (just read them all), it's not something I always see here on the Carnival threads. I have found that people get flamed alot and it makes me not want to post opinions or comments. So to you all I say bravo and thanks, maybe I'll post more "stuff";)

To the OP, sorry your cruise wasn't so great and I hope you cruise again and find it more to your liking.

Happy cruiseing to you all:)

MAO

I think the policy is that no one under age 21 can be in a cabin unless at least one person 25+ is in the cabin with them. If passengers are 21 or older, they can be in a cabin without someone over 25 in with them. The exception to the rule is if an under 21 passenger is booked in a cabin next door to their parents, they can be in a cabin with under 25 year old persons. So, yes, two 22 y/o can (and did!) cruise together, no problem. :)

That make sense.

Thanks

They do not have to be next to the parents. My oldest will not be 25 until mid April, and my kids were in a stateroom one deck below us.

Also, there were 4 college age girls across the hall from us. I don't know how they worked around the age thing.

I loved the following quote and think it is right on! :D

I think picking a cruise is like picking a vehicle. The sports car, pickup truck, SUV, or minivan driver all have different needs and expectations.
I drive a luxury SUV, enjoy luxury and expect luxury on vacation. Didn't always get that luxury on Carnival...especially in the dining room.

Archived